Why would I use a crossbow?

Users who are viewing this thread

What's the point of using a crossbow if it requires as much investment as a bow? In Warband I could choose a crossbow over a bow since it did not require skill investment. What's the point now?

What's the point of using a crossbow if it requires as much investment as a bow? In Warband I could choose a crossbow over a bow since it did not require skill investment. What's the point now?

From a gameplay standpoint in the current patch: Crossbows have better accuracy and a faster rate of fire than regular bows do (for Ai units). (I know that's pretty stupid right?) For a player, I guess picking a crossbow over a bow is just about preference do you like point and click or do you like holding back your bowstring and releasing your shot? Whichever feels better to you.

Good solid point.*OP* Edit: I agreeing with OP not ling, just to be clear, no offense Ling
I would have liked if all the ranged/control skills had synergistic perks that would work with each other.
Also if the governor perks could be used by MC some how, some of them are okay, but you can't so.....
Basically if you have high control and just wanna mess around.... that's it.

Last edited:
A bolt pouch only holds 20 bolts and you can't reload a crossbow from horseback. Those two reasons alone are reason enough not to use a crossbow.

I used crossbows in Warband and I do miss them at times. The light crossbow was pretty good and I equipped all of my companions with one.

In Bannerlord they decided that they don't like crossbows or cavalry and the made design decisions to affect them adversely.

In Bannerlord they decided that they don't like crossbows or cavalry and the made design decisions to affect them adversely.
To be fair, Bannerlord is vaguely set in an earlier time period, when crossbows werent as common(and cavalry wasn't as powerful) as they were in the vague time frame of Warband. So it's a change that makes perfect sense to me.

Crossbow better at the beginning , better damage , accuracy. At level 75 perk sheriff (+50 % headshot damage) is available and hickory crossbow can deliver 200 + damage with it . Good secondary effects for Vlandia as well .
Alas , if you don't play for Vlandia there is no point to use crossbows , bows still better. Bolts have no damage bonus and its 20 only when you can get 30+ arrow quiver easily. Only 3 types of crossbows I was able to find on market . Bound crossbow seems to be best of the kind but no way to get it , may be as loot , but it's gonna be cracked.

I think they just start off at a higher damage level. I find in SP i can shrug off a few arrows from low tier archers, but even low tier crossbows hit me pretty hard.

If they ever add a light crossbow that you can shoot from horseback without needing a perk, then crossbows could be very viable weapons. They hit harder and have better range than bows and aren't even all that slow to load. Its just now you need to commit to being on foot all game to use one. By the time you get the Mounted Crossbowmen perk at 175, you're so far into the game that you're probably not going to start using a horse at that point.

faster rate of fire

iu

For me it is good way (using light xbow) to level up riding skill while I do not want to be horse archer but just melee cavalry for even without control and focus those early fights with looters when you just shoot at the head at long or medium range (avoid close) you get riding skill up very easily much easier than from meleeing. I use it especially often when I get from tournament that 90 riding horse to get fast required skill for using that horse.

If I want to be a horse archer ofc it would be pointless to use it. Right now I wish we could export / import character to avoid those early repetitive stages.

@PSD It does have a faster rate of fire for the Ai units. Not as a player. The new combat parameters Taleworlds introduced in 1.5 made it so that the new aiming system for bows was not applied correctly to the Ai units, and so the result became that Ai archer units miss most of their shots, and also fire way more slowly than they had in previous patches because the archer Ai physically does not know how to use the new aiming system for the bow. The crossbow Ai was unaffected by these new aiming restrictions which allows them to fire and reload their crossbows faster and more accurately than the current archers can. It's pretty f'd up that it works out this way, but it is 100% true. This is why in the current patch people don't pick archers anymore in captain mode, they pick crossbows if they pick any ranged units at all.

Last edited:
Well because with crossbows you can aim as long as you want without having to restring it if the aim takes to long which makes it an more comfortable ranged weapon . And yeah accuracy as mentioned is better to but for a cost with the reloading time. If i was an hvy infantry guy i would gone for crossbows i guess since its a formidable weapon for sieges to

Tier 5 archers are still much deadlier than T5 crossbowman in SP and I have no problem to prove it if someone does not believe it. Archers are finally not broken in SP and finally balanced and I hope they remain in this way.

Crossbows are better for characters who aren't specialized well into control or bows. IMO that's pretty much it, but that's still significant- if you don't want to put points into ranged, a light crossbow is still pretty good, compared to something like a steppe bow, which is pretty much trash.

That's the point. It doesn't require the same investment at all. If you don't want to spend a single point in control or ranged skills, crossbow is hands down your choice: the lower tier crossbow 1 hits-KO most troops while the bow doesn't and it's more precise.

edit: 1 hits-KO on headshots

Back
Top Bottom