MP Why TW should get Battle servers ASAP (effortpost inbound)

Users who are viewing this thread

As it stands, multiplayer in Bannerlord isn't doing too hot. It seems to me that neither seasoned veterans, nor new players can find enjoyment or a reason to stick around. While many people have already explained why class systems, combat mechanics, and the lack of private servers are a problem, I think that the problem may also extend to our offering of gamemodes. More specifically, the exclusion of the best one. If you want a tl;dr: skirmish mode is hostile to new players, and battle offers public players the best shot at a competitive game which they can enjoy.

To start, I’ll explain why I think skirmish is especially anti-pub and anti-new, then show how battle mitigates the issues inherent to skirmish. I think an easy way to explain Bannerlord skirmish’s problems is to compare it to an analogue. When I imagine a 6v6 gamemode, one which is also well optimized for esports, the first thing that comes to mind is CSGO competitive. Both focus on teamwork, include small engagements, and are pretty skill intensive. However, whereas CSGO’s scene is still vibrant, Bannerlord’s queues are perennially empty, and that’s after a month of play. What went wrong? Put simply, such gamemodes rely on both teams having comparable skill, and Bannerlord can’t provide that promise. The reason for that is Bannerlord’s multiplayer is inherently niche, while CSGO or R6 are massive franchises with far larger player bases. In those games, when someone new decides to solo queue, there will be similarly skilled players that MMR can sort them with. They end up fighting with and against people they stand a chance against, and having fun. However, if their communities were as small as ours, they’d have to fight global elites, or a team far worse than them, and suffer. In Bannerlord, this reality is noticeable. We can see that 6 stacks are getting tired of pubstomping, and pubs now instinctively quit when they see a 6 stack. The consequence of this has been that veterans and clans got burned out, and pubs uninstalled, never to play again. I’m sorry to say, but unless Bannerlord becomes a critically acclaimed FPS franchise, this issue will persist -- the community won't be big enough to entertain this system.

Even if we ignored this matchmaking issue, however, skirmish’s structure remains deeply unrewarding. This is due to two factors: small engagements, and the presence of respawns. I’m sure we’ve all noticed that the leaderboards on our skirmishes often look like this:

The values are almost always skewed, with one or two “carries” tearing up the enemy on each side, and a set of bystanders. How is this related to skirmish’s structure? Firstly, in such small confrontations, differences in skill have a disproportionate effect on outcomes. One bad or uncooperative teammate constitutes a loss of 15% of your fighting strength. Conversely, one comparatively good teammate means 15% of your team is “elite.” Not only that, the death of another team’s carry has little consequences for that team, because they have the potential to respawn (sometimes 3 times in a round). This means that one good player can (and often does) stomp the other team, and one bad player can cost a round through their ineptitude. The system exaggerates skill differentials, and that makes for consistently imbalanced matches.

How then does battle mitigate these issues? Firstly, the fights are far larger, and so skill differentials even out and become less significant. Having a bad regiment or clan assigned to your side in a battle wasn’t a death sentence, even if they made up 20% of your team. There’s a lot of structural reasons for this, one is that larger battles allow new players to pick and choose their fights. They can follow large blobs (a form of teamwork which is unlikely to be achievable in skirmish), and they have the option to blend into a crowd, rather than be forced into suicidal 1v1's. Moreover, losing 50% of your team in a battle simply doesn’t hurt as much as it does in skirmish. Whereas a 3v6 can be brutal (and is inevitable in skirmish once such losses are achieved), players in battle can still have a large group with which to fight, and a 10v20 is far easier to win than, say, a 2v4. This is why carries were far harder to find in battle.

While we’re on the topic of carries, here’s my second reason for why battle is better: deaths matter. If I were to get a lucky kill on say, Beeflip, a player who terrifies me, then he’s gone for this round. There’s a sense of accomplishment associated with this, and it has a tangible (if small) effect on the battle. The chance of him tearing me up is gone, and I can continue to fight without fearing that he’ll reappear this round and smack me. As someone who played Warband battles extensively, and was very bad, this was what kept me going. I had a chance to win; my victories, however small, felt consequential. Furthermore, I got a chance to immerse myself in a competitive, hard fought situation, but I wasn’t ever responsible for winning or losing it. In other words, the wins felt sweeter, and the losses were less bitter. I don’t envy the pubs who get a lucky kill on an OG player, only to have him respawn and “nothing personnel, kid” them. And I'm sorry for those players who feel personally responsible for losing to a VK 6 stack, solely because they were the 15% of the team who couldn’t get a kill. These things didn’t happen in battle, and they allowed the players who weren’t good but wanted to experience a competitive and cutthroat fight to do so.

If Taleworlds really wants to cater to new and casual players, they need to understand that casual refers to the extent to which they play the game, not the kind of fights that they want. Deathmatch and siege are all well and good, but there are pubs and newbies who clearly crave a hard-fought win, rather than a moshpit of sword swings. If you want evidence of this, look at the absolute masochists still playing skirmish. To them, “casual” means that they don’t want to waste their lives mashing rmb to block, not that they hate a challenge in a video game. So please, TW, recognize that there are new and low skill members of our community who want to play something “hardcore,” and that skirmish is inherently hostile to them. Implementing a battle mode would be the best move towards properly including our new players in the fun that the sweaty side of Bannerlord can be, and so I hope you consider it

Signed,
former_casual_player_28

Last edited:
As it stands, multiplayer in Bannerlord isn't doing too hot. It seems to me that neither seasoned veterans, nor new players can find enjoyment or a reason to stick around. While many people have already explained why class systems, combat mechanics, and the lack of private servers are a problem, I think that the problem may also extend to our offering of gamemodes. More specifically, the exclusion of the best one. If you want a tl;dr: skirmish mode is hostile to new players, and battle offers public players the best shot at a competitive game which they can enjoy.

To start, I’ll explain why I think skirmish is especially anti-pub and anti-new, then show how battle mitigates the issues inherent to skirmish. I think an easy way to explain Bannerlord skirmish’s problems is to compare it to an analogue. When I imagine a 6v6 gamemode, one which is also well optimized for esports, the first thing that comes to mind is CSGO competitive. Both focus on teamwork, include small engagements, and are pretty skill intensive. However, whereas CSGO’s scene is still vibrant, Bannerlord’s queues are perennially empty, and that’s after a month of play. What went wrong? Put simply, such gamemodes rely on both teams having comparable skill, and Bannerlord can’t provide that promise. The reason for that is Bannerlord’s multiplayer is inherently niche, while CSGO or R6 are massive franchises with far larger player bases. In those games, when someone new decides to solo queue, there will be similarly skilled players that MMR can sort them with. They end up fighting with and against people they stand a chance against, and having fun. However, if their communities were as small as ours, they’d have to fight global elites, or a team far worse than them, and suffer. In Bannerlord, this reality is noticeable. We can see that 6 stacks are getting tired of pubstomping, and pubs now instinctively quit when they see a 6 stack. The consequence of this has been that veterans and clans got burned out, and pubs uninstalled, never to play again. I’m sorry to say, but unless Bannerlord becomes a critically acclaimed FPS franchise, this issue will persist -- the community won't be big enough to entertain this system.

Even if we ignored this matchmaking issue, however, skirmish’s structure remains deeply unrewarding. This is due to two factors: small engagements, and the presence of respawns. I’m sure we’ve all noticed that the leaderboards on our skirmishes often look like this:

The values are almost always skewed, with one or two “carries” tearing up the enemy on each side, and a set of bystanders. How is this related to skirmish’s structure? Firstly, in such small confrontations, differences in skill have a disproportionate effect on outcomes. One bad or uncooperative teammate constitutes a loss of 15% of your fighting strength. Conversely, one comparatively good teammate means 15% of your team is “elite.” Not only that, the death of another team’s carry has little consequences for that team, because they have the potential to respawn (sometimes 3 times in a round). This means that one good player can (and often does) stomp the other team, and one bad player can cost a round through their ineptitude. The system exaggerates skill differentials, and that makes for consistently imbalanced matches.

How then does battle mitigate these issues? Firstly, the fights are far larger, and so skill differentials even out and become less significant. Having a bad regiment or clan assigned to your side in a battle wasn’t a death sentence, even if they made up 20% of your team. There’s a lot of structural reasons for this, one is that larger battles allow new players to pick and choose their fights. They can follow large blobs (a form of teamwork which is unlikely to be achievable in skirmish), and they have the option to blend into a crowd, rather than be forced into suicidal 1v1's. Moreover, losing 50% of your team in a battle simply doesn’t hurt as much as it does in skirmish. Whereas a 3v6 can be brutal (and is inevitable in skirmish once such losses are achieved), players in battle can still have a large group with which to fight, and a 10v20 is far easier to win than, say, a 2v4. This is why carries were far harder to find in battle.

While we’re on the topic of carries, here’s my second reason for why battle is better: deaths matter. If I were to get a lucky kill on say, Beeflip, a player who terrifies me, then he’s gone for this round. There’s a sense of accomplishment associated with this, and it has a tangible (if small) effect on the battle. The chance of him tearing me up is gone, and I can continue to fight without fearing that he’ll reappear this round and smack me. As someone who played Warband battles extensively, and was very bad, this was what kept me going. I had a chance to win; my victories, however small, felt consequential. Furthermore, I got a chance to immerse myself in a competitive, hard fought situation, but I wasn’t ever responsible for winning or losing it. In other words, the wins felt sweeter, and the losses were less bitter. I don’t envy the pubs who get a lucky kill on an OG player, only to have him respawn and “nothing personnel, kid” them. And I'm sorry for those players who feel personally responsible for losing to a VK 6 stack, solely because they were the 15% of the team who couldn’t get a kill. These things didn’t happen in battle, and they allowed the players who weren’t good but wanted to experience a competitive and cutthroat fight to do so.

If Taleworlds really wants to cater to new and casual players, they need to understand that casual refers to the extent to which they play the game, not the kind of fights that they want. Deathmatch and siege are all well and good, but there are pubs and newbies who clearly crave a hard-fought win, rather than a moshpit of sword swings. If you want evidence of this, look at the absolute masochists still playing skirmish. To them, “casual” means that they don’t want to waste their lives mashing rmb to block, not that they hate a challenge in a video game. So please, TW, recognize that there are new and low skill members of our community who want to play something “hardcore,” and that skirmish is inherently hostile to them. Implementing a battle mode would be the best move towards properly including our new players in the fun that the sweaty side of Bannerlord can be, and so I hope you consider it

Signed,
former_casual_player_28

this legit just proves that we need skill based matchmaking and not battle, except battles over 30 players makes individual skill less noticeable. People get toxic very quick if teams are unbalanced.

IQqOVRO.png

Last edited:
this legit just proves that we need skill based matchmaking and not battle, except battles over 30 players makes individual skill less noticeable. People get toxic very quick if teams arent balanced.

As I already said, skill based MM system requires a huge player-base to work, and so niche MP games like Bannerlord cannot implement an effective one. Given that this is the case, a custom battle server, where skill differentials are objectively less important, seems like a pretty good move for the community. I don't disagree that skirmish needs the mechanism of MM to be good, I'm just recognizing that circumstances don't allow it.

I'd say those are certainly valid points. Besides just those I think the game could benefit more from a team-based mode that allows for more people to a side regardless, which Battle would allow. It would give opportunity for newer players and people without clans or premades the chance to meet and form parties of their own. Which, would ultimately help the game grow and make skirmish more interesting should people form more groups to try and tackle that mode.

As I already said, skill based MM system requires a huge player-base to work, and so niche MP games like Bannerlord cannot implement an effective one. Given that this is the case, a custom battle server, where skill differentials are objectively less important, seems like a pretty good move for the community. I don't disagree that skirmish needs the mechanism of MM to be good, I'm just recognizing that circumstances don't allow it.
huge player based like wbmm had right?

this legit just proves that we need skill based matchmaking and not battle, except battles over 30 players makes individual skill less noticeable. People get toxic very quick if teams are unbalanced.

IQqOVRO.png

Careful or might just get a ****ty console version of matchmaking that will just be a HUGE waste of time, take it from Dota 2 matchmaking parity is virtually impossible to achieve and takes years to get even a little right. I think the old private server system is 100% better and once mods are out the community will be spread out anyway making official servers a huge waste of money.

I like battle mode because when you kill a good player you know they won't be coming back, where in skirmish I just sigh when I see they still have 250 gold.

Careful or might just get a ****ty console version of matchmaking that will just be a HUGE waste of time, take it from Dota 2 matchmaking parity is virtually impossible to achieve and takes years to get even a little right. I think the old private server system is 100% better and once mods are out the community will be spread out anyway making official servers a huge waste of money.

I like battle mode because when you kill a good player you know they won't be coming back, where in skirmish I just sigh when I see they still have 250 gold.
The elo system shouldnt be there to fix matchmaking completly but avoid the challenger match up with bronze players. Dont think there can be 100% balanced teams in all games. But if i had to choose how many games are unbalanced between 50% and 100% i would choose 50%.

Maybe you have the wrong mindset about it. If you kill a good player, he can do way less dmg to your team when respawning. Skirmish is nice its 10 minutes with lots of fights and no down time when you need to wait till the round finishes.

Not including Battle mode - one of the many mistakes, oversights and outright bad design choices made by Taleworlds. Multiplayer at this point is a complete and utter joke, both the competitive and casual players are getting disinterested. Some communication about their current thoughts on Multiplayer and their plans going forward would be fantastic.

Great thread @CANTON - Should've included both Skirmish and Battle at release, not replacing the latter. Battle is by far one of the most popular gamemodes from Warband, no-one wanted it gone or replaced. For me and many others, this mode gave us both the casual and competitive fix we would urged for - and nothing better than getting thrown into massive melees. I believe they are working on introducing a Battle like gamemode at some point but that will be many months from now if I had to guess.

Last edited:
Also there are 10 years worth of good battle maps that have stood the test of time that TW can recreate to get a jump start on the map pool. They threw all of those in the dump by going with skirmish. Its going to take them years and years to develop a robust map pool, and in the meantime its not even clear if the game mode is panning out well. My impression is most players will jump ship to battle servers once they are out and the whole thing will have been big waste of time. And I understand TW has said making maps is one of the biggest bottlenecks for developer time already?

They wont even add servers for gamemodes they already have, all these posts telling them how to fix the game will be ignored like everything else.

Battle would be nice, but I'm worried about what settings and maps they'd include for it, and it would still be troubled by the other issues you mentioned - especially the melee combat. I hope they look to IG_Battlegrounds for inspiration. It was never perfect, but it was better than most other things (from a competitive/professional POV). It's pretty easy to make mistakes in map-making that result in bad gameplay. I'm dreading to see what kind of treacherously archer-friendly spots they might make for maps, as well as circles for teams to run around in for ages.

Totally agree with you. New players don't have much enjoyable game experience in MP due to current game mode. Therefore battle server is urgently needed for players with different skills to mixed up, rather than a matching skirmish mode that could easily overwhelmed by one side.

yea, overwatch has a nice match making system that pins you against comparable people, if it cant then it trys to even things out by giving you some bad people and a "good" person to balance the team. i dont think talesworld has a smart enough system in place to determine your skill level. i mean... look how they code everything else in this game that mods have to fix, not gonna happen. i havent touched multiplayer since beta since its complete trash. i hate skirmish and captain mode and siege never seems to get rolling cause of lack of player. it upsets me the most that you dont level up or get a K/D from TDM so when im dont playing it i get 0 stats so its like i played that round for nothing.

I don't see how battle helps the situation. The most important part is the difference in skill level. Since we are all complaining, maybe TW can make a system in which pubs won't get matched with pre-made teams (2 or above) unless they opt in or the pre-made team has already waited for a really long time (3+ minutes?). Sure, this might make matching a bit slow but I think it is an OK price to pay for an overall more enjoyable experience.
Another possible solution is making an ELO system and balancing the ELO system of two teams so that we have a nice mix of strong players and weak players on each team.
Battle only makes the newbies play less and wait for respawn more. I actually quite enjoy the new skirmish mode since it means almost constant action. Even if I die prematurely, I only have to wait at most a minute or so, compared with 5 or even 10 minutes for battle.

I agree with pretty much all of your points although it does not appear Taleworlds is keen on addressing anything (despite having a triple A sized dev team). I don't understand why skirmish mode is even in the game as opposed to a battle mode which seemed like the better choice design wise.

No game has perfect MM despite everyone complaining about it in every game ever.

However, MM is always better than completely random teams. Even if you had 4 players in queue, MM would improve it. The top two would play and the bottom two would play.

A battle custom server would end up exactly how you would expect: new players bottomfeed and can't get into the game.

Not enough players for an elo mm system, battle will bring back players who have already given up the game so they might be able to try after that.

Can't say I had any issues having fun on IG_Battlegrounds when I started playing, battle allows you to pool into groups and avoid threats together. Skirmish singles you out and shows you how **** at the game you are because even with more lives you're still gonna lose.

I think there is room in this game for skirmish and battle mode. Indeed given the right support skirmish could be *the* competitive mode. However battle is a must as well.

Thread is well written and makes sense; I think you have convinced me that battle does offer a safety net. Afterall new players do clearly feel uncomfortable if they aren't contributing (or at least are not shown to be by the scoreboard) in such a small group. 30 players a side though and it's much easier to 'blend' in.

I could certainly see the appeal while learning the game to not be so 'exposed'. DOTA is a great example of small teams being off putting. It's too easy to blame individuals

+1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom