Why there isn't any open battlefield scenes?

Users who are viewing this thread

I mean flat terrains,
what's with the hills and mountains in every battlefield scene?
PoP is a complete turn off for that, that I return always to Perisno after every PoP patch... and the spawn points are placed one over the other that makes armies spawn one over the other in consequence most mounted units dismount to move forward, unless they are given an order from me to spread out. Please fix this ''BLOB'' of an army spawn. Spread the spawn points so the armies look like armies with no issues at all!
And add some flat terrain scenes like green fields and deserts and delete most  of them that dont fit for epic battles at all. It destroys the immersion and epicness of the battles.  :cry:

I hope at least you consider these things.

Thanks!

Evvv said:
It depends on the terrain you're in on the battlemap. Don't run into a highland forest and expect flat plains.

I knew you would say that....!  :neutral:
There are terrains on the campaign map that would be logicaly, as you stated, with hills and forests but there are a lot others that NEED fields and flat desserts!

Oh well, one can hope!

Tab to retreat a few times at the start of a battle. There is often one map that is relatively flat unless you are in mountains on the overworld.

There aren't hills and mountains in every terrain. I recall battles on non-sloped grounds.

So I don't know why you think every battle is a hilly terrain when that is clearly, 100%, not the case.

You can choose from 3 different battlemaps for each battle.
If you initate the battle you can leave and then attack them again in a different spot to get another 3 different battlemaps to choose from.
Don't fight near trees/mountains.
The steppes and desert are one of the best places to guaruntee a flat map.
The terrain all around valonbray and javiksholm are also very reliable for flat maps.
Play at least 550x550 map size, don't use adaptive map size.

I can see where the OP is coming from. At the same time I think MitchyMatt is also correct, cause the mountains/hills aren't the problem here, those you could actually use to your advantage. The main problem for me are those tiny elevations that are sprinkled all over many maps. It's more like the terrain felt a bit chilly and got goosebumps. I started calling those "roadblock maps", cause those bumps are way too tiny to be used for anything (with larger battle sizes) and mainly just screw with your formations. When I advance on those it goes like "Now you see me, now you don't".

It was probably done to make the battle scenes more diverse and interesting, but in reality it just messes with your battle plan, cause archers will constantly loose line of sight, cavalry charges will be interrupted and infantry will be slowed down. It also doesn't seem like realistic terrain to me, in reality those elevation changes would occur in a much larger distance to each other. It would not constantly go "up>down>up>down>up>down" every 30 yards. It feels more like someone took a top-down map of a region and magnified it a little and then made that result into a battle map, the scale just does not fit.

I'm pretty sure that it's not that simple (cause meshes and stuff), but it would be awesome to have a slider for general terrain elevation (universally applied to every battle scene except sieges). That way you could adjust the playstyle to something you are maybe more used to. There are difficulty sliders already, so I wouldn't call it dumbing down the game. But I'm aware that this would probably involve a lot of work and the engine might not even support something like this in the first place, but it's still something that would be fantastic to have. Maybe with Bannerlord :smile:

EDIT: Regarding the spawning, yes that happens. But by default most of your forces (except Companions) will form a line and at least for me the blob untangles in about 10-15 seconds. Couple that with a larger battlefield like Brew recommended (via the Camp/PoP menu) and it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I think the adaptive battle maps could use some tweaking. The small map is pretty small and if your army size is just under the threshold where it switches to the larger map, the battlefield can be very cramped. I think the small field could be a bit bigger or add more intermediate sized maps.

Lord Irontoe said:
I think the adaptive battle maps could use some tweaking. The small map is pretty small and if your army size is just under the threshold where it switches to the larger map, the battlefield can be very cramped. I think the small field could be a bit bigger or add more intermediate sized maps.

Try 550x550 size, its now the only size I use. It works well for large and small battles.
You could boost the size for certain battles to buy more time to setup against Jatu/Singalians or any other enemy that just charges.

True, the dismounting is annoying.

About the terrain.

It's rare to find landscapes like what you get in this game.  The map looks like a hill but when you get to the battle it's like sheer slopes up and down all over the place.  You don't see terrain like that anywhere in real life.  Why not just have a battle on a hill where there is literally just 1 hill.  Or even just have a slope so the left side of the map is higher than the right.  I don't need a map with 25 hills and trenches, those aren't locations traditionally chosen for pitched battles.

At that point you're describing the way mount and blade itself designs maps, since this is something that happens in Native as well as countless other mods. Even Polished Landscapes doesn't fix that issue, the map design can always be a bit befuddled with nonsensical hills, slopes, and divots, and it's just something you need to work around or plan for. It's the main reason I don't run cavalry/cav archer only armies as often, regardless of how susceptible my opponents may be to that strategy, because you never know when you'll run into disadvantageous terrain.

Back
Top Bottom