Why the hell is the Tannery so overpowered?

Users who are viewing this thread

With 3 tanneries you can pay an army which simply destroys other AI armies with similar numbers without having a single loss.
Again not true, because as soon as I have a real death I exit to menu and reload the save and replay the battle to find a way to win it and preserve the lives of all my men because that's who my character is, For this reason I always tried to get the 10 max stable companion party in warband, and not start recruiting soldiers until everyone's surgery was at 10 and even then I searched (but couldn't find any) mods to make surgery skill 100% prevent death

Second you are always outbumbred, from the moment you think, hm I have a decent party let's try sieging a castle, you and your 100 men will be facing army after army of hundreds of men, I gave up a campaign where I was besieging a city with myself and my hero led parties and suddenly was attacked by an army of 2000 men when we barely had 300
You simply can play as vassal until get your first fief and then have a huge advantage over everyone because the AI is not able to get money from workshops and caravans. Then is funny to read the people complaining about the unfair AI cheats, when actually is the player who has huge advantages and this is why the game feels pretty easy.
Not everyone likes to go the vassal route, people have different playstyles and different roleplaying stories in their mind when they start a character and start the game. Not everyone plays your way, the world doesn't revolve around you and just because your particular way of playing makes it super easy for you does not mean everyone plays that way, nor should they. So you shouldn't impose your ideas of balance specifically suited to your playstyle on everyone, if it's too easy for you put everything on hard setting and stop mocking people who find it too hard on easiest settings.

Great contibution for the thread, pretty useful for devs.
yes because your boasting about how easy everything is is such a great contribution for the devs

It's difficult to keep things civil when trolls like dabos keeps on playing word games on forum threads, all he does is show off how he is supposedly good at playing BL at max difficulty while telling everyone else to play the game like he does. And even if he did somehow proved that he can it doesn't change the fact that there's nothing to gain from a singular individuals playstyle other than more endless mind-overloading semantics about his mental obsession. If anything dabos' posts are nothing more than a big fat pile of nothingburgers and should be reported for disrupting and agitating normal users posting on otherwise calm threads.

So, after 100 days of playing you are able to wait (do nothing) for 100 days and earn 150 000 denars.
Your 3 workshops cost you 44 000 denars up front. Your 2 caravans (enhanced) 56 000, also up front. That's a 100 000 denar cost. Which you managed to cover without the full benefit of earning passive income for the period. But apparently earning that first 100 000 was super easy.

So you spent your first 100 days earning 100 000, which you spent. After another 100 days of doing nothing you have turned a profit of 50 000. Which buys you a really nice chestplate and maybe a decent helmet. Not the same quality as the lords and nobles wear. How does this break your game?

King will always be outnumbered, no matter day 300 or 1300. On kingdom start you have your own party plus companion parties, something like 600 soldiers at most. And doomstacks of 1000 -1300 coming at you is pretty normal and usual situation. And 3 Tanneries do almost nothing at this stage of the game, and you want to make them do even less, because 0.001% of players wish to wait 100 days to get 150 000 gold early game.

I do not think that tanneries should be nerfed because 0.001% player could use abusive tactics, It was just and example of how much money tanneries generate over time, and how far superior they are compared to Warband workshops which are actually a good investment.

Being King should be the hardest path to achieve in game IMO, and this should requiere a lot of planning and good strategy. You wont suffer much if you amass a good number of elite troops for you, your clan parties and wait for a good opportunity. Sure, It will be harder if you try to achieve It using the hardest way (playing alone without starting as vassal), but It is how should work IMO. If you want to play against everyone on hardest difficulty, It should be really hard but sadly It is not the case currently.

Again not true, because as soon as I have a real death I exit to menu and reload the save and replay the battle to find a way to win it and preserve the lives of all my men because that's who my character is, For this reason I always tried to get the 10 max stable companion party in warband, and not start recruiting soldiers until everyone's surgery was at 10 and even then I searched (but couldn't find any) mods to make surgery skill 100% prevent death

Second you are always outbumbred, from the moment you think, hm I have a decent party let's try sieging a castle, you and your 100 men will be facing army after army of hundreds of men, I gave up a campaign where I was besieging a city with myself and my hero led parties and suddenly was attacked by an army of 2000 men when we barely had 300

Not everyone likes to go the vassal route, people have different playstyles and different roleplaying stories in their mind when they start a character and start the game. Not everyone plays your way, the world doesn't revolve around you and just because your particular way of playing makes it super easy for you does not mean everyone plays that way, nor should they. So you shouldn't impose your ideas of balance specifically suited to your playstyle on everyone, if it's too easy for you put everything on hard setting and stop mocking people who find it too hard on easiest settings.

yes because your boasting about how easy everything is is such a great contribution for the devs

In Bannerlord you are not going to be as outnumbered as you were in Warband and you can get +600 men if you play all your cards right. It is just about waiting for a faction losing a war and take a weak settlement and then try to recruit a tier 5 clan as far as you can. Anyway, I do not get why we need to make money much easier than un Warband, and at the same time we have new features which make the life easier for us like clanmates.

I am not just saying that the game is easier, I am giving numbers and what I consider proofs about It. Meanwhile, most of other people here are just repeating that the game is more funny with easy money without giving any evidence of this.

It's difficult to keep things civil when trolls like dabos keeps on playing word games on forum threads, all he does is show off how he is supposedly good at playing BL at max difficulty while telling everyone else to play the game like he does. And even if he did somehow proved that he can it doesn't change the fact that there's nothing to gain from a singular individuals playstyle other than more endless mind-overloading semantics about his mental obsession. If anything dabos' posts are nothing more than a big fat pile of nothingburgers and should be reported for disrupting and agitating normal users posting on otherwise calm threads.

1- I am not trolling, I just disagree with you.
2- I am not a good Bannerlord player. I am just a casual player who thinks like a lot of other people, that the game is currently too easy and much easier than Warband.

There are a lot of people who think un the same way than me, but they just do not want to involve in this thread because It is full of biased people insulting. Even devs think that the game is easy and It is the reason because we are getting constant nerfs.

So, after 100 days of playing you are able to wait (do nothing) for 100 days and earn 150 000 denars.
Your 3 workshops cost you 44 000 denars up front. Your 2 caravans (enhanced) 56 000, also up front. That's a 100 000 denar cost. Which you managed to cover without the full benefit of earning passive income for the period. But apparently earning that first 100 000 was super easy.

So you spent your first 100 days earning 100 000, which you spent. After another 100 days of doing nothing you have turned a profit of 50 000. Which buys you a really nice chestplate and maybe a decent helmet. Not the same quality as the lords and nobles wear. How does this break your game?

Read again, 150K just from tanneries, so remove caravans from equation. Then compare with Warband numbers and you will realize that there is something wrong with Bannerlord numbers.

I do not think that tanneries should be nerfed because 0.001% player could use abusive tactics, It was just and example of how much money tanneries generate over time, and how far superior they are compared to Warband workshops which are actually a good investment.

Being King should be the hardest path to achieve in game IMO, and this should requiere a lot of planning and good strategy. You wont suffer much if you amass a good number of elite troops for you, your clan parties and wait for a good opportunity. Sure, It will be harder if you try to achieve It using the hardest way (playing alone without starting as vassal), but It is how should work IMO. If you want to play against everyone on hardest difficulty, It should be really hard but sadly It is not the case currently.

In Bannerlord you are not going to be as outnumbered as you were in Warband and you can get +600 men if you play all your cards right. It is just about waiting for a faction losing a war and take a weak settlement and then try to recruit a tier 5 clan as far as you can. Anyway, I do not get why we need to make money much easier than un Warband, and at the same time we have new features which make the life easier for us like clanmates.

I am not just saying that the game is easier, I am giving numbers and what I consider proofs about It. Meanwhile, most of other people here are just repeating that the game is more funny with easy money without giving any evidence of this.
reported you because I'm pretty sure you are just trolling at this point

It doesn't, he's just making this out to be some kind of issue when it's not, even took him long to come up with another batch of troll logic as you can see in his posts above.

Well, I am going to stop replying people without arguments and who call me troll just because I disagree with them. I am actually giving numbers while some people here do not try to proof anything. If someone would like to argue about this like a mature person without getting angry like a kid, I would be glad to have a conversation with that person.

Well, I've been playing the betas of this Early Access title and my simple take is that not even half the features are currently in the game so if anyone expects the game (economy, troop strength, feats etc etc) to be "balanced" in its current state, they are wasting their time. Lots of stuff to do anyway, if you feel like it.

This thread again is a testament to what I believe is fully blown narcissism - elitism of lots of players. Instead of getting everyone to use the same set of rules, to a narcissist, this is a foreign concept, because rules are to be imposed on others, but dont you try to put them in the same category.

When you listen to these game is too easy, needs cheats, what you have is : 'I am stronger than the game, I beat it !!!' It is then all about the narc. The narcs will to impose rules on others ? Just like another thread - they need hardcore !!! Too EASY !!! It is all fake ofc, because they try to use any exploit so they dont play by the rules, so yea with this hypocrisy in your head, where you see problems in the 'lesser' people, instead of your glaring stupidity, good luck, because there is no way satisfying people like you ever.

If you cant cheat, if the game is unplayable due to difficulty, you narcisstic types will again come with deceptive 'game IZI' because you want to be seen as some elite, even though you are trash on the inside. Mod your game, then tell everyone 'IZI' without telling. Cheat yourself 100 k gold, then say factories are IZI.

It is the same Leveling IZI, because you cheat your characters anyway, but want to still impose rules of super slow leveling on others. I mean, it does look like you tell yourselves that the center of the universe is none other than you, but with having a group of elitists here, about which one does the universe revolve then ? Deceptions, exaggerations, this is the language of a mentally sick person, I, I beat the game, I better than you lesser minds. I wonder what kind of complexes you have and what youre compensating, but I would guess it is the very thing that you impose on others - inept, cant play on equal terms and tries to intimidate the rest, like a small dog being the loudest. And if by accident you actually werent just lying in everything, which is to be expected however, nobody is really interested in your boasting, other than your own elitist fellows. In which case, you should have a narcisstic subforum to take all your inverted logic, circular arguments there, so the saner people might have space to express themselves without having to go through this manipulative illogical mess of yours.

So, cheat, mod, dont tell anybody, and tell everybody in order to get noticed, IZI. Then you can tell them you are superior to them, yea lol. Mental asylum material.

So, I cannot express my support to someone that has created this thread complaining about OP tanneries, because then I am a narcissistic person? I have said many times that we need campaign difficulty settings to avoid this kind of discussions, but then I am sure that we will have people complaining about very hard settigs is too hard (like happens in total war games eventually).

Seriously, I really do not get all this hate I have generated just for giving my opinion and what I think about the current balancing (together with numbers). Yes, I have been sarcastic eventually but I got insulted first.

I am not lying and you can check my maths in one second because It is really simple to do. The only post where I have lied is in one when I said that we have to pay 98 denars weekly for Banner Knights, and It was because I took the number from wiki which is not updated. All other information I have given have been checked in game first. You can prove me wrong if you want, It will take much less time for you than writing this post on case I would be lying with numbers.

So, I cannot express my support to someone that has created this thread complaining about OP tanneries, because then I am a narcissistic person? I have said many times that we need campaign difficulty settings to avoid this kind of discussions, but then I am sure that we will have people complaining about very hard settigs is too hard (like happens in total war games eventually).

Seriously, I really do not get all this hate I have generated just for giving my opinion and what I think about the current balancing (together with numbers). Yes, I have been sarcastic eventually but I got insulted first.

I am not lying and you can check my maths in one second because It is really simple to do. The only post where I have lied is in one when I said that we have to pay 98 denars weekly for Banner Knights, and It was because I took the number from wiki which is not updated. All other information I have given have been checked in game first. You can prove me wrong if you want, It will take much less time for you than writing this post on case I would be lying with numbers.

So this is how a narc troll replies when they are thoroughly outed. Seems legit.
Still not buying your 'true story' posting though.

So this is how a narc troll replies when they are thoroughly outed. Seems legit.
Still not buying your 'true story' posting though.

Well, I am trying to give feedback to devs who are already applying nerfs every patch. Not a big problem if you do not buy my true story friend.

I am far to be a hardcore player. I have just 700 hours in Warband and 200 in Bannerlord (200 is actually a lot but not in covid-19 times)
I'm going to have to stop you right there.

Anyone who logs triple digit hours on games other than bubble wrap simulators is a hardcore gamer. 200 hours in 7 weeks is ~30 hours a week, which significant even in the current environment. When publishers and analytics companies do research into player behaviour, they tend to choose a figure in the ballpark of 20 hours a week (across all games played) for defining a hardcore gamer.

When you are a hardcore gamer, you tend to notice the people who are even more hardcore than you, and might not think you are hardcore in comparison. But compared to the general population, and the playerbase of the game you play, you ARE hardcore. The vast majority are not playing anywhere near as many hours as you are.

Among the people posting on this forum you may be average. But that's like being an "average 1 percenter".

Ok, then I am a hardcore player and as hardcore player I find the game too easy. Would be nice if hardcore players could also enjoy the game and have a campaign difficulty setting to avoid discussions with non hardcore players.

As "hardcore player", I am giving mi vision about the game, what is wrong with that? If there is not difficulty settings, It is completely normal that I try to give feedback which fits more in my tastes. Exactly the same that other people do.

The only difference is that I am taking time to check some numbers and try to argue to defend my point, while people just get angry because they dislike my point of view.

Last edited:
Well, it's been interesting, so here's hoping the thread doesn't get locked! :smile:

Ah, Badcritter got there first and made a lot of the same points I was going to make haha, but I'll go ahead and finish my comment anyway because I think it adds to the discussion.

Couldn't that just be because the people who are satisfied with the direction of the game typically aren't going to go through the hassle of making an account on a niche forum simply to state that they're happy with what the devs are doing? How sure are we that the members of this forum, as well as the subreddit, are a true representation of how the community feels as a whole? This forum could be skewed toward people with a negative opinion of the game or the developers, who just came here to voice their frustrations.

The wisdom of the crowds is for sure a neat phenomenon, but I think it's a bit overrated, especially in the context of game development. The wisdom of the crowds tends to work best when there is an actual correct answer to a question, such as, "How many Jelly Beans are in this jar?" It starts to fall apart when it attempts to answer a subjective question, such as, "How should this game be balanced?"

People tend to fall back on their biases when they can't see (or flat out choose to ignore) the broader picture. In this case, these biases would include things like personal playstyle preferences, cynical personality types, past experiences with Early Access, negative feelings about the developers, and herd mentality/peer pressure. Nobody here has full knowledge about how this game works or where it's headed other than the ones who are making it.

Here is a nice concise article about the pitfalls of collective judgement. I'll outline some of the basic points of the article (but it's short and worth a read):

This forum is still a good place for discussion, suggestions, and other things, but I'd hesitate to base any critical balance decisions on the collective consensus of its most prolific commenters (no offense intended, I'm probably one of them). That doesn't mean that players can't provide valuable feedback or make good suggestions; of course they can. It also doesn't mean that the developers can't make mistakes in game design either.

Bonus food for thought from a couple reddit posts.

I think that what I've already posted tacitly acknowledges the limitations of player forum consensus - and thus any applications of the wisdom of the crowd principle - but yes, it's worth saying out loud that there should be nothing even like a straight line between player forum consensus and appropriate dev re-balances. And of course, as previously noted, the analogy exists to illustrate, not stand in for the referent situation 1-to-1 (that's how analogies work). That said:

1) When people talk about proposing abstract prescriptions for 'how much active income vs. how much passive income', people are of course basing that on descriptions of behaviors that can in fact be enumerated and, theoretically, measured. That is to say, people are saying, implicitly, 'I have to win X battles per game month and return to cities to sell loot Y times per month, which means that I have to be in battle Z percentage of the game, and, IMO, X, Y, and Z should be lower numbers because they restrict my gameplay options, etc. etc. '. Sure, everyone is thinking of X, Y, and Z anecdotally, and most people are not even offering anecdotal numbers, much less carefully measured totals.. Huge stipulations apply. But still, the issues here are not purely Platonic notions that cannot be enumerated, really; the wisdom of the crowd principle can still have applications w/ caveats.

2) Much of the rest of your response (+ @Badcritter) is about the problems with curating a representative sample out of forum respondents. Again, I would have thought this went without saying, but yes, of course. Thus my closing statements on the last post: Devs should factor it in, but not bend over to it. (In this way, I wonder if your response moves the goal-posts quite a distance from the place where I was aiming.) However, just leaving it there neglects to consider the counter-factual scenario: No forums, no EA player feedback, so, for play experience data, the devs have only their own experiences. If data sample of forum posters is small and less than ideally representative - and I agree, it's definitely those things - a data sample consisting of only the devs would be even smaller and even worse. Really, it's hard to think of a lot of worse data sets in this context than a very small group of people who made the game being assessed in the first place.

3) Finally, quick note on the other point: Forums can tend to shape and polarize collective opinion vs. assemble many different independently developed inputs. Totally agree. For me, this is an even more compelling reasons that the devs should consider forum feedback, but not yield to it in anything like a direct way. Also, this fact requires the art-not-science of trying to discern - from diction, tone, etc. - which posts look like hot responses to the thread title and which ones appear to be responses to other responses. (E.g. In this thread, it looks to me like we got a lot of posts, especially early-mid thread lifecycle, of people coming in to respond directly to the thread title.) Not ideal at all, but has to be considered.

Yeah, in general, there is a real burden on devs (assuming they are interested in EA player feedback) to read and consider player input while also considering all of the caveats and stipulations we've discussed. Not at all an easy job. Between that, and all of the inside information that they have and we don't, we should give them a lot of leeway in our assessments, such as they are. That is to say, I can only reiterate my original point: Devs should not bend over to forum player inputs, but they would be fools not to at least weigh it as one of many factors.

That is to say, I can only reiterate my original point: Devs should not bend over to forum player inputs, but they would be fools not to at least weigh it as one of many factors.
Absolutely.

And even though the crowd we are a part of here on the forum isn't entirely representative of the playerbase crowd as a whole, the playerbase's opinion, wise or not, determines whether they will pay for the game or take an interest in playing it. As such, the opinion of the crowd is always an important consideration. When there is a big disconnect, the product creator either needs to improve how they are communicating their message, or change direction. Usually some combination of both.

Logic based on assumptions isn't really logic to me.

I'd love to see some gameplay footage of how OP or easy it all is. Give me some examples I can watch.

I think that what I've already posted tacitly acknowledges the limitations of player forum consensus - and thus any applications of the wisdom of the crowd principle - but yes, it's worth saying out loud that there should be nothing even like a straight line between player forum consensus and appropriate dev re-balances. And of course, as previously noted, the analogy exists to illustrate, not stand in for the referent situation 1-to-1 (that's how analogies work). That said:
I agree that more discussion is never a bad thing and that the forums can be a useful way to gain context on what people think of the game. I also said that in the closing statement of my last comment (more or less). Discussion can lead to new insights that the devs may not have originally considered. Sorry if I gave the impression that I think the forums are not useful to the devs, or if you think I'm shifting the goalposts, that wasn't my intention; I'm here on the forums giving my feedback too after all.

I understand there's a lot of nuance to what you're saying, but personally, I still think using collective player consensus is not a good way to balance games. If you think it should just be a very minor part of the overall design process, then I can get on board with that (I didn't actually disagree with that though). Otherwise, we can just agree to disagree.

That said, none of my comments here have actually been aimed at swaying the developers in any direction. They are professionals who know better than I do about game design, and are free to use any and every tool available to them as they see fit. I know mexxico has already made one poll here about caravans, and may seek opinions on other features in the future.

No forums, no EA player feedback, so, for play experience data, the devs have only their own experiences. If data sample of forum posters is small and less than ideally representative - and I agree, it's definitely those things - a data sample consisting of only the devs would be even smaller and even worse. Really, it's hard to think of a lot of worse data sets in this context than a very small group of people who made the game being assessed in the first place.
Don't forget about telemetry! I can't offer any hard evidence, but If the developers are automatically collecting statistics from players as I suspect is (or will eventually be) the case, then they should already be well aware of how people are interacting with their game without the need for us to come on here and tell them. So even without the forums, they still would have a lot of player data informing them of things like: how much income players make and from which sources, how many quests they're completing, what projects they're building, how often they win/lose/fight battles, how often they compete in tournaments, what kind army composition they have, which troops they're using the most, what ratio they're ransoming/donating/recruiting prisoners, what perks they select, bank account pins and social security numbers (I kid), etc.

As long as they're careful with their data analysis, then telemetry should give them most of what they need to know in order to properly balance their game. If there are any anomalies in the data that they can't explain, then they can come here looking for answers. So it really doesn't matter how often or how forcefully players state their opinions on balance if the devs have the statistics right there in front of them. They can, of course, always choose to rebalance something if it's highly unpopular, but they're (probably) not just using in house data to drive their decisions anyway.

I firmly believe they're not going to let any of the features that they spent time and effort to create just fall by the wayside by over nerfing them. If people aren't using workshops as much as they think they should (or if the income is a lower proportion than they want relative to others), then they will detect that in the data and can rebalance accordingly. No need to wade through emotionally driven hyperbole at all.

Also, it goes without saying that the game should be fun. Nothing the devs have done thus far has led me to believe that's not a top priority for them though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom