Why the bugs that have been fixed come back the next version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Since closed beta I've been observing it and it makes me think there's a problem with managing the versions or something. Although I have forgotten about the details of the old ones, there are recent examples, the slow movement bug came back with 1.5.9, "Sound of Doom" happens to come back every new version now. Are there incidents where you didn't include the fix of the normal branch to the next version when it switches from beta to normal branch?

It's probably really fun to add bugs to games if you're a game dev! Just think how fun low-key trolling is, it's gotta be like that but with that extra slow burn long game troll feeling!I'm just kidding

Why does TW need to bug test when they have people playing ea to do it for them? :roll:
Although I agree -they basically see us as "testers who pay us to test our game"-, that wasn't my point. When the unexpected happens and they happen to fix a bug -mostly after months and many reports-, when there's an upgrade and beta branch becomes the normal branch, we encounter the same bug, that led me to think, maybe there's something funny going on with version management, wanted to check if I get some answers.

Although I agree -they basically see us as "testers who pay us to test our game"-, that wasn't my point. When the unexpected happens and they happen to fix a bug -mostly after months and many reports-, when there's an upgrade and beta branch becomes the normal branch, we encounter the same bug, that led me to think, maybe there's something funny going on with version management, wanted to check if I get some answers.

tenor.gif

Yeah I get what you're saying I was just being a sarcastic jerk. I may be wrong but it just seems like their internal testing is for ****. It appears as though they'll run the game through simulations but no one internally is actually playing the updates because most of these bugs are readily apparent after an hour or 2. But as far as why we get the same ones over and over your guess is as good as mine.

there's something funny going on with version management
That would be a rookie mistake, but also the most likely explanation. The alternative explanation is that they are making so many small changes (presumably to fix something) that some of those changes inevitably cause more bugs and performance drops, that may or may not have the same cause, but have the same symptoms - the most likely culprits being the engine team who are responsible for performance. It's as if the experienced people in the team left and were replaced by interns.

Are you implying every Dev has their own version if they work from home office? lol
I'm thinking of a scenario, where they forget to carry the fix over to the beta branch. After what I have seen, it doesn't seem so unrealistic to me. Don't take me wrong but stuff like "being able to enable auto-block in MP" pretty much sets my expectations at the bottom. That kind of scenario would be.. comedy material, if true.

maybe there's something funny going on with version management
Any time you see a fixed bug reappear in the next version it is almost always out of date code being merged back into the project. Proper use of source code management software should prevent this. Games like Space Engineers is rather infamous for this problem.

Back when Star Wars Galaxies was a thing, fixed bugs would reappear with every other patch. I accused Sony of not using source code management software at all. If they were using it, they sure weren't using it correctly.

Back
Top Bottom