Why Sturgia often grows weak, Khuzait often grows strong

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes we can have problems about one hideout to respawn just after 1-2 days player cleared it. Because hideout's other bandits stay there even you clear hideout. They have a probability to respawn hideout. I will examine this problem. Maybe we can make this hideout unable to respawn again for at least 20-30 days. This can be a solutionm or we need to remove around bandits also after hideout is cleared.
a more interesting approach would be to force the Bandit Campaign AI to run away after getting their hideout cleared

Maybe we can make this hideout unable to respawn again for at least 20-30 days. This can be a solutionm or we need to remove around bandits also after hideout is cleared.

Or make them run and join other hideouts?
Would add a fun element of being able to track them there.

Last edited:
Or make them run and join other hideouts?
Would and a fun element of being able to track them there.

Yes it can be a fun mechanic. Problem is hideouts cannot have more than 5 parties anytime. Otherwise player can face with 100 bandits waiting there for your 10 men:smile:

However instead of travelling hideouts we can reset their ai for patrolling around these other hideouts maybe it can add same fun factor. Anyway I will think a good solution for this problem. Now lets return real problem of this thread, we should talk these in another thread.

Yes it can be a fun mechanic. Problem is hideouts cannot have more than 5 parties anytime. Otherwise player can face with 100 bandits waiting there for your 10 men:smile:

However instead of travelling hideouts we can reset their ai for patrolling around these other hideouts maybe it can add same fun factor. Anyway I will think a good solution for this problem. Now lets return real problem of this thread, we should talk these in another thread.

I saw 6 parties inside. If i see it again i'll send You a screenshot. Also some of the hideouts are bugged causing parties inside to never leave and tons of other parties roaming around. Is there any hard cap on how many parties can spawn near one hideout?

Maybe, make them all run for a random village in a certain radius to generate a 'bandit infestation' like in Warband. This can help the player raise village relation (which is difficult currently if very low e.g. from doing Family Feud quest).

Without a hideout, they should have trouble patrolling like they normally do... first form a single big group of all remaining bandits, then head for a village. This gives the player two opportunities to clear the area of all bandits (first if they catch the larger party, second when they find the village). A farmer can head to nearest tavern like Warband again to hand out an optional quest to it.

And yes, Sturgia still needs love. I noticed one problem while playing for them that too many lords create armies... so they have four or five 300 man armies... which don't work together and then they get flattened by a single big Vlandian or Khuzait army seperately. I think kingdoms should have limits to how many armies they can have at once to increase their effectiveness... also, it would make individual lords do more independent actions themselves and increase smaller skirmishes, like in Warband.

Last edited:
... Now lets return real problem of this thread, we should talk these in another thread.

@mexxico could you shed some light on the sim battle calculation? Is this accurately described? Because if it is, perhaps the flat cav bonus is the reason why sturgia often grows weak and khuzait often grow strong. Maybe the bonus should not be applied if the defending troop has a spear? This alone could solve the issue, along with perhaps some other brainstormed ideas on PL calculation.

Maybe you could add something like "aggressive expansion" value for kingdoms which are snowballing? With higher AE other kingdoms will see them as threat and more likely declare war on them then each other?
edit: disregarding ratio settlement value/overall strength.

@mexxico could you shed some light on the sim battle calculation? Is this accurately described? Because if it is, perhaps the flat cav bonus is the reason why sturgia often grows weak and khuzait often grow strong. Maybe the bonus should not be applied if the defending troop has a spear? This alone could solve the issue, along with perhaps some other brainstormed ideas on PL calculation.

I had a good discussion and brainstorming about this matter with @Koshkasa in this thread:

After it and some more tests + excel simulations my main conclusion is that cav bonus gives huge advantage only to factions with around 35%+ cav (cavalry and horse archers cause they are treated the same by autocalc) in army composition. Factions not relying on cav have no counter for that so they are worse just because they don't use cav. The bigger problem in the whole solution is RNG for calculating HP. It can give really funny and unpredicted results in case of even odds or slight teoreticall advantage..

I saw 6 parties inside. If i see it again i'll send You a screenshot. Also some of the hideouts are bugged causing parties inside to never leave and tons of other parties roaming around. Is there any hard cap on how many parties can spawn near one hideout?
Could it maybe be that the boss party shows, but does not count toward the 5 party limit?

Maybe you shouldn't go in a hideout with only 10 people at the first place. Maybe hideouts should be more like a castle that needs siege to take down.(like gaul villages in rome totalwar for example)

I know that means complete overhaul of the current system and thus wont be a thing but i think current way to deal with bandit lairs is not so good.

Well actually thinking about it

I would be thrilled to have a big battle with bandits defending their hideout.
Remove the bandit limit inside hideout, encourage bandits to return to hideouts more often and then:
Give us 2 options if you don't want to waste current system.

1. you take 10 men, attack at night and face 20% of their garrison.
2. you siege those wretched bastards. Circle their base, assault their butts and find who's da boss in a big clash of swords. like real men do (xd)

Oh right sturgia - I recently did milion of game restarts to get proper troop battle tests against derhert (vlandia) army. In all of the cases randomly Vlandia gets around 30% cav some of them top tier. Sturgia does not get t6 cav at the game start, and also their army is about 10% cav which by default creates an issue. Maybe for non cavalry factions we should increase initial spawn? Might create other issues but still worth considering

Yes we can have problems about one hideout to respawn just after 1-2 days player cleared it. Because hideout's other bandits stay there even you clear hideout. They have a probability to respawn hideout. I will examine this problem. Maybe we can make this hideout unable to respawn again for at least 20-30 days. This can be a solutionm or we need to remove around bandits also after hideout is cleared.
I've seen a case it respawned before I even went out of view range. After beating it surrounding bandit parties had "Travelling to hideout" order and respawned it as soon as they came at the location where hideout was before destroying it. It was some early patch though.

Fresh campaign started yesterday after last hotfix. Beta 1.4.0. Day 129.

Vlandia's current power is tricky. Vlandia was steamrolling Battania but I joined Battania to help this faction against Vlandia and we are starting to push them back. Sturgia and Aserai are doing pretty well for the moment.

Almost day 300 and things are going bad for Sturgia. I even joined this faction as vassal and we are getting a hard time and Lost 2 towns and 3 castles.

Everything was going ok until Sturgia went to war against 3 factions during a few couple of days. Sturgia lost Sargot, Omor and two castles. I was able to get back Omor and take It for myself. Then Sturgia made peace with all factions and some few days later, a new war against South Empire. We have Lost a town and a castle in this new war, even when I was defeating some Empire lords.

Last edited:

I can confirm what others sayed: It is possible to have more than 5 in one camp. I have evidence for this. In https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...s-are-cheated-in-as-well.418914/#post-9395769 I captured a case where I fought at least 3 groups, 4 more spawned after camp destruction. Makes 7. 3 groups is what I see in my GIF. I deleted the original video but I think it must have been 4 (which would fit to the icons at the camp object). You think 100 bandits is too hard for the player? Well, I've seen up to 80 in one camp. It's reality, you better don't trust the current code too much. :wink:

I disagreed on your summary some time ago. At the moment I think I was just lucky with my save game, so I change my oppinion to you most likely being right. With beta 1.4.0 Khuzait has gone wild. See https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-still-to-hard-no-chance-with-kingdom.422712/

Current situation (speaking of time from 1.3.1 to now)

• I kept my core areas around southern Vlandia
  • I took northern Vlandia and destroyed the faction (they now ride around here and there, killing bandits in my area, cool :smile: )
  • I lost all towns and a "wall of castles" between me and Khuzait. My vassals took it when Khuzait had not declared war once on me. After they declared war for the first time, they redeclare after the 30 days limit. They took everything in this area
  • Khuzait crushed Sturgia and Aserai
  • Empire massively under pressure
  • I lost some castles around Quyaz and between Quyaz and my core area
  • Everybody declared war on me except Southern Empire. Khuzait prefers to stick with map borders, going south and north. Battania directly attacks my main towns with the best defence in my whole kingdom...but what should I do against 2000 soldiers when I'm busy with Empire and Khuzait already? :wink: Empire desperately tries to besiege Quyaz. They once succeeded but I retook it.
  • Future doesn't look good for me. It's just a matter of time when Battania and the rest of the Empire gets rekt by Khuzait
Looking at the maps you know where this is going. It's like a massive movement to the west, Khuzait will win, I'm under pressure because the others are under pressure too. I did not see any crusade going in east direction over the last 20 ingame-years. The last breathtaking movement was Battania taking over Rhotae (I owned it before year 1100, then I decided to give up the whole region) and Sturgia recovering 100% and taking Epicrotea - to die very fast afterwards in no time.

I see 2 options to rescue my kingdom:

1) Split fiefs in half and double the vassals. So each vassal has 1 town or 1 castle, not both. I will try that but I doubt it will work. They tend to go bankrupt without enough taxes from fiefs.

2) Force all my 20 children (wtf! Liena!) to create caravans and pay for peace over and over. I mean...my kids don't have skills since they most of them were born in very old patches (did they even fix this?), so it's best they leave my save castles and gain some experience. :wink: Fun fact: Even my sons where womans shoes. Bug from old patches? :grin:

Another reason increasing steam rolling to Khuzait favour in my oppinion still is the "AI knows garrison size" mechanic. For me it's more like a bug because AI can cherry pick castles and towns to besiege.

UYRAS8V.png

8ItZFVd.png

Last edited:
Fresh campaign started yesterday after last hotfix. Beta 1.4.0. Day 129.

Vlandia's current power is tricky. Vlandia was steamrolling Battania but I joined Battania to help this faction against Vlandia and we are starting to push them back. Sturgia and Aserai are doing pretty well for the moment.
Don't expect big movements in the first 100-200 days. Move on and one day you will notice how things change very fast.

Don't expect big movements in the first 100-200 days. Move on and one day you will notice how things change very fast.

Yeah, you are right. I am now at day +500 and while Sturgia is still alive and we are managing to get back lost territory, Khuzait are starting to wreck the Northen Empire and having +7500 power.

Something has to be done with Khuzait, Vlandia (too strong factions in campaign, especially Khuzait) and with Sturgia (weak faction in campaign). Aserai is doing pretty good in my current campaign, they even managed to push back Khuzait in a long war.

Plus, TW should work on a system to allow the AI to form coalitions against big and expansionist kingdoms.

On the other hand, I am enjoying a lot this new campaign, the last changes have been really good and happy to see that the game is going to right direction.

Last edited:
Another reason increasing steam rolling to Khuzait favour in my oppinion still is the "AI knows garrison size" mechanic. For me it's more like a bug because AI can cherry pick castles and towns to besiege.

I think this is something that should be changed. There was a patch a long time ago that altered how the AI chose targets (to avoid going for far off towns), but low garrisons seems to override this behaviour heavily.

It also causes an abusable behaviour: Sometimes you can run into a town and the approaching army decides to head for another target because it now thinks the garrison is too strong. The second you leave, they U-turn straight back for the town. They even do this when out of sight of the town. So you can 'neutralise' an army for some time by entering and leaving a town.

The AI needs to lose some of its psychicness and be more decisive in its decisions to prevent flip-flopping behaviour.

I think this is something that should be changed. There was a patch a long time ago that altered how the AI chose targets (to avoid going for far off towns), but low garrisons seems to override this behaviour heavily.

It also causes an abusable behaviour: Sometimes you can run into a town and the approaching army decides to head for another target because it now thinks the garrison is too strong. The second you leave, they U-turn straight back for the town. They even do this when out of sight of the town. So you can 'neutralise' an army for some time by entering and leaving a town.

The AI needs to lose some of its psychicness and be more decisive in its decisions to prevent flip-flopping behaviour.

I think that in this case instead of exact garrison number AI should be filled with range of troops that could possibly be in the settlement and decide to attack based on which settlement has lower range of possible garrison. And this calculation should put the lowest priority on target decision. First and most important should always be distance from nearest ally settlement. Also when AI choose target it should stick to it to the end or abandon the whole campaign.

Edit: one more important thing is that AI (Lord who will lead the army) should choose the target before army is created and food supply should be gathered with choose target taken into account. So if AI decides to take city X it should raise the army and all NPCs that will follow should gather food needed to go there, besiege it and go back. Maybe even create a queue for sieges after first one that will be used if the first siege is won.
That would simulate campaign plan instead of mindless roaming through enemy lands and taking whatever is close and weak.

Edit2: I recently noticed another problem with AI armies decisions. I saw 2 armies of the same faction going to besiege the same city. When first of them started siege second changed target. So it looks like there's a lack of cooperation between armies.

Last edited:
Oh right sturgia - I recently did milion of game restarts to get proper troop battle tests against derhert (vlandia) army. In all of the cases randomly Vlandia gets around 30% cav some of them top tier.

The party templates are in Modules\SandBox\ModuleData. According to that, Vlandian lords get 8 Gallants, 5 Light Cavalry, 2 Champions, 1 Vanguard, every time they respawn.

Back
Top Bottom