Why study French?

Users who are viewing this thread

Funny thing, in French we have two names for Netherlands : Hollande and Pays-Bas
And two names for Dutch : Hollandais and  Néerlandais

And a good reason why you should learn French : We have such a rich vocabulary, so rich British had to stole some of our words for them :mrgreen:

Brestos said:
Funny thing, in French we have two names for Netherlands : Hollande and Pays-Bas
And two names for Dutch : Hollandais and  Néerlandais
Wait, isn't that the difference between... Holland and Netherlands?  :neutral:

Well then i'm confused as well...What's the official name of the country? Or what's exactly the difference between holland and netherlands?

Brestos said:
Well then i'm confused as well...What's the official name of the country? Or what's exactly the difference between holland and netherlands?
There's North Holland and South Holland, and those are only two provinces of the Netherlands.
It's like calling Canada 'Ontario'.  :wink:

Holland is two provinces (North and South) in The Netherlands. But because Holland was relatively powerful when the Netherlands formed backwards folk keep calling it Holland, but that's actually pars pro toto.

Kinda like calling the United States of America 'Carolina' because it's got North and South. :razz:

Edit; damnbalon!

The Netherlands. Holland is actually the name of 2 provinces (north- and south-) which together have been the centre of power/mightiest/wealthiest bit of the country for some time and still are. It is not the name for the country though. Using Holland instead of the Netherlands is a pars pro toto.

Figures I'd get ninja'd here.

Brestos said:
it's the same thing. just that, so typically of the French language, it takes a gazillion words to say something that in other languages is said with two words.

the idea is that French is made ridiculously complicated on purpose. So the nobility could differentiate more easily from the plebs back in the days when the language was invented.

Christ, there have been *three* posts detailing why it's not the same thing, yet along skips Ludial "hurderp, it's the same thing." It's not.

Ah according to wikipedia "The Netherlands in its entirety is often referred to as Holland", thus my mistake. So thanks to point out the difference, I learn every day! :wink:

Brestos said:
Amagic said:
They say Frenchmen go bloody apes on you if you mispronounce in French.

Yes, if you learn French, learn it well, merci! :wink:
But... The French have already butchered their own language :neutral: For example, when the real sentence goes "Je ne parle pas francais", instead they say "Je parle pas francais", or was it "Je ne parle francais". One of those. Point is theyre effectively eating their own language into oblivion. Heh, theres even a certain amount of French music the radio stations have to play, or they have to pay some sort of a fine :lol:

Warning - while you were typing 6 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
:neutral:

"Je parle pas" instead of "je ne parle pas" is like "I don't speak" for "I do not speak"...what's the deal?

EDIT : Yeah french radios are forcet to respect a quota of songs singed in french (even french bands singing in english are out of this quota...) This comes from the 60-70's and the invasion of English songs. And most of the french songs at that time where english songs translated in french.
But many french artists try to change this 'cause it's silly...

In our schools we were taught we HAD to do ne AND pas for it. :eek:

I even used French once to reply to some French well, kids, I suppose.

All I can speak in French is "Je ne parle pas français". Granted, I can read and understand a good deal of it.

Two examples of famous french songs which are english covers :

Joe Dassin "Salut les Amoureux"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXriBd13PM
Arlo Guthrie "City of New Orleans"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfxoM6trtZE

Claude François "Comme d'habitude"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMoY5rNBjwk
Frank Sinatra "My way"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2hYDIFDIU

Back
Top Bottom