MP Pilas, are very much too powerful (other projectiles guilty too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Fyren338

Regular
Well, in essence the title pretty much states it but as follow through; Pilas are awful and dumb everybody I know hates them (several people I know have quit playing because of them) . Also being able to kick, and then throw a pila into somebody before they can do anything, is 100% broken overpowered and destroying the game. I think that's already known but just as a side to the main course of pilas are dumbly strong, along with every other projectile in the game. It's totally illogical and nonsensical that the pilum is the best throwing weapon in the game + you get two of these railway cannon bullets. Which by the way the worst you can do is half of people's health.

Also the way speed effects the damage is ridiculous, riding by someone with a throwable on horseback? prepare for over 100 damage every single throw. It doesn't actually matter if it's a footlong peasant javelin or a god forbid a one hit kill spear. Which okay, maybe sure, but why does it do half as much if you don't let go of your weapon. Like if you just held on and stabbed as hard as you could it would do half as much damage as chucking it? Why doesn't the armor on my horses neck and head actually apply to the fact it takes double damage in the head/neck by the way? It's at least odd (I can think of better words) that the most heavily protected and armored part of the horse is the weakspot. All of this is an aside though. Point is, a pilum is pretty strong sure, but you should never be able to re-use it.

Infinite pilas is RIDICULOUS.

If you spawn as the skirmisher for aserai you get 6 throwables that do just about 1/3 of a person's hit points per throw. With multiple of them on a team and a bit of restraint with your throws, you essentially have an infinite stockpile of ranged (super accurate with practice) throwables that you can pick out of people's horses, armor, bodies, shields, and off the floor. If cavalry is moving faster than an infantry, these throwables with a little accuracy and practice, can deal over 100 damage to every horse moving by as well. So considering they do 1/2 of a horse's life 1/3 of a persons HP and you have 6 of them per life well infinite actually if you're willing to work as hard as bending over and picking them up again. I'd say in a majority melee fighting game (cav de-horsed, archers no ammo) It's insanely frustrating. Even people I know that like throwing readily admit it's too strong, please fix.

Last edited:
Subjectively a myth bud and it's well known they do bend when being pulled out quite often

Well mate, objectively, you're still confusing the pila with the spiculum. :iamamoron: If we get technical, we would have to eliminate the javelins, the spears that break when they are couched after impact, etc.

One of the most widespread and persistent myths, no doubt, and shows what a couple of misinterpretations can cause in historical knowledge. Basically the myth is that the pilum was deliberately designed to bend on impact, rendering the enemy's shield useless. Numerous sources indicate that, in the event of combat against cavalry, Roman legionnaires held their charges with the pilum as a lance or even used it as a close-range weapon. It would not make sense to make them deliberately easy to bend and limit them to the throw. The only source that mentions that the pilum was bent on impact (Caesar) at no time suggests that it was deliberate, but rather that they hit the shields with such force that the Gauls, when trying to remove them, ended up bending them. Which is something much more logical: the mere fact of pulling out such an awl from a laminated shield is complicated enough without having to modify the weapon so that it bends and, furthermore, loses the potential hand-to-hand combat that it had by rejecting, on some occasions, enemy cavalry.

That said, as I see that you are a history fan, I suggest you for more detailed information, read a monograph published by D. Fernando Quesada Sanz (Page: 382-386 in Spanish perfectly translatable into English by your trusted translator).

I'm not confusing the pilas you are, it's named pila like... i think you're eager to prove your smart and right and kind of ruining the point. The historical part, is just an attempt to fix a problem with the game from a different perspective. An attempt I regret now because a historian gets to flex, with horse blinders on. Plus, technically, I'd be ecstatic to remove everything else you just listed so thanks for bringing it up. Great point. From the historian's mouth himself.

(several people I know have quit playing because of them) Most people aren't speaking out against the problem, they are just leaving and never playing again. KSHMR probably knows several himself but is too happy to abuse the broken system and remain better than they should be to admit it.

The availability of throwables and the kick mechanic is said to be changing, will be interesting to see in what capacity along with all of the other changes.

I don't mind if pilas are a thing, but I don't like that I can infinitely play hot potato with my pilas as long as I kill whatever it hits. Which as Fyren said, is going to at least do half their health for me. 0 momentum bonuses too. What I also really hate is that anyone can run up to me, turtle, spam E, and once they land that kick shot its consistently 150 damage.

I'm sorry, but if you think pilas are fine you're simply a clown.

-1 on this post. Dont change pilas.

Also, this is a fantasy game :smile:
Uhm you probably haven't seen top level skirmishes (in the tourneys) go down like. Inf players win rounds where they haven't even used their sword its ridiculous. The melee in this game is irrelevant now because empire inf just comes kicks you and 1 taps you with a pila and you cant do **** unless you do the same thing to them. Really, ask any top level player and they will tell you how they dont even need a melee wep as inf to get kills.

Back
Top Bottom