Why isn't the AI kicking and using the shield bash in combat?

Users who are viewing this thread

But they are ducking for those who wonders and been doing it for some time...Its rare though. Heck even had an Khuz ground soldier jumping back when i was about to hit him. rE: Oh i just saw that Piconi dug up the good ol sturg ^^ Let me dig up the Khuz then

final_5f6bc544b53dbc008c25be5e_854470.gif
Not as slick and gracious as the Sturg but he sure had some veteran senses of his surroundings...damn got to big like widescreen size ^^ mb

final_5f6bcaf2ac314d0049a78275_583820.gif

Last edited:
I think he wasn't picking anything because the stop dead and the animation is longer when picking something up.
Nevertheless looks cool as he was running
There's a noticable difference between the crouch animation and pick-up animation. The pick-up animation has the right arm extend to the ground to pick-up the item and bends the back to achieve this, whereas the crouch animation keeps the back straight and bends both arms keeping them at waist level. Your clip looks like the pick-up animation to me.

I've seen AI duck under attacks several times, but it was always to pick up ammunition and never to intentionally evade an attack.

There's a noticable difference between the crouch animation and pick-up animation. The pick-up animation has the right arm extend to the ground to pick-up the item and bends the back to achieve this, whereas the crouch animation keeps the back straight and bends both arms keeping them at waist level. Your clip looks like the pick-up animation to me.

I've seen AI duck under attacks several times, but it was always to pick up ammunition and never to intentionally evade an attack.

Startting with the suspect at 1:40....1 he hadn't even thrown anything...2nd there where nothing to pick up 3rd they usually only pick up when they are out of ammo. 4. You can clearly and distinct see with threir arm that they are picking up with it when they do not just bending down with straight back or other things not using their arms....
This is my forensic point of view. Even if it seem like a outcome that it was something that was about to happen and it might be correct.... Ive seen AI doing this without being an bow man or javelin thrower but could be that they thought they where suddenly who knows, it will remain a mystery. And since this man is dead we will never know what was on his mind that day.....may your soul rest in Sovengarde

Last edited:
Going back to the original question of "why the AI doesn't use those moves?" I believe the answer is very simple. It would probably be a huge pain for TW to code it. I hope I don't sound too salty when I say this, but the AI in Bannerlord is extremely bare bones(or, to be more honest, just brain dead) as it is. Adding kicking and shield-bashing, with the prerequisite conditions for use would be a pretty major endeavor for TW, I believe.

Or to put it another way, if they can't be bothered to make an AI that utilizes the most basic of functions of attacking, defending and moving proficiently, I don't think they would be willing/able/both to make it use kicking and shield bashing effectively either.

Going back to the original question of "why the AI doesn't use those moves?" I believe the answer is very simple. It would probably be a huge pain for TW to code it. I hope I don't sound too salty when I say this, but the AI in Bannerlord is extremely bare bones(or, to be more honest, just brain dead) as it is. Adding kicking and shield-bashing, with the prerequisite conditions for use would be a pretty major endeavor for TW, I believe.

Or to put it another way, if they can't be bothered to make an AI that utilizes the most basic of functions of attacking, defending and moving proficiently, I don't think they would be willing/able/both to make it use kicking and shield bashing effectively either.

can partly agree on this one but the AI isnt that bad but yeah sometimes they can be worse then zombies. Some tweaks here and there sure but getting it perfect well i havnt seen one game yet that has. Shield bash should be doable but then we have the judgement of an human saying that he did it in the right time or not when the human does mistakes to + when you shield bash you also expose yourself. Would look cool if they did but is it really important at this time. I root for more refined decision making and tactics from the AI atm as mentioned here....Ps...You guys should try to stick around and watch the AI fight it out sometimes...im enjoying it even if there are flaws

Last edited:
can partly agree on this one but the AI isnt that bad but yeah sometimes they can be worse then zombies. Some tweaks here and there sure but getting it perfect well i havnt seen one game yet that has. Shield bash should be doable but then we have the judgement of an human saying that he did it in the right time or not when the human does mistakes to + when you shield bash you also expose yourself. Would look cool if they did but is it really important at this time. I root for more refined decision making and tactics from the AI atm as mentioned here....Ps...You guys should try to stick around and watch the AI fight it out sometimes...im enjoying it even if there are flaws

I watch the AI fight plenty, because I use the RTS camera mod, and in my opinion the AI is pretty much what I mentioned before, braindead. Target selection, complete tunnel-vision once a target is selected, utter disregard for positioning of friend and foe, instant scattering once the fighting begins. There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed before shield bash and kicking become even remotely relevant.
And none of the above issues are a simple fix, and I predict that it will take TW months, if not a year to address them, if they even decide to do it at all, which I have to say I'm, not all that optimistic they will.

So to be honest, I would put kicking and shield-bashing by the AI in the "probably never gonna happen" drawer.

yeah target selection is pretty off for sure at times ¨^^ well it depends on what type of perfectionism you want em to achieve though. AI hasnt been their strongest thing in their games so why be so very picky now, I mean look at AI from CA or Tarkov as perhaps an bad example.because they are small and in EA asw. CA should be mastering it by now with all the resources they have but heck they have even starting to fall back even if i did really like the Three Kingdom series it was still not really cutting it as an AAA company which most doesnt today for the price they demand for an "simple copied file" that are distributed

Last edited:
I'm not expecting perfection by any means. But TW AI is far, far from perfection and it has a lot of room to improve.
My hope is that the AI would at some point become good enough to not be frustrating to watch.

As an example: My biggest gripe has recently been the behavior of horse archers. They have the behavior of trying to avoid engagement and pelting the enemy with arrows from afar, while circling around them. That's great! Problem is, that they're so horribly inept at it, that while doing so, they.... ride straight into enemy lines, as if the enemy wasn't there, completely blind to the obstacle in front of them.
It pains me because you can tell some thought went into coding that behavior, but it's done so sloppily that all that work is essentially wasted effort because the unit ends up doing exactly what it's meant to avoid doing.

In the end, if I want to have proper horse archer behavior, I have to micromanage the unit myself so they don't suicide into the enemy.

yeah its a problem for sure but i always look as its their way of not paying attention and get in to trouble. But sure sometimes you do have to micromanaging em in to open ground when they clearly have space and eyes on the "targets in the middle so to speak". Its things to be adjusted for sure but its nothing major at this time. Personally i think AI needs more tuning in tactical advancements as ex not lowering their shield to walk to the sides or back when they are getting showered with arrows like 15-50 m away from the enemy on the first attack and same in other situations. Sieges needs more adjustments as well but are getting better

Startting with the suspect at 1:40....1 he hadn't even thrown anything...2nd there where nothing to pick up 3rd they usually only pick up when they are out of ammo. 4. You can clearly and distinct see with threir arm that they are picking up with it when they do not just bending down with straight back or other things not using their arms....
This is my forensic point of view. Even if it seem like a outcome that it was something that was about to happen and it might be correct.... Ive seen AI doing this without being an bow man or javelin thrower but could be that they thought they where suddenly who knows, it will remain a mystery. And since this man is dead we will never know what was on his mind that day.....may your soul rest in Sovengarde

No, that is the exact animation I'm talking about. He bends his back and his right arm is mostly out of frame but it looks to be reaching towards the ground. Look at the normal crouch animation and you'll see the back remains at the exact same angle that it was at while standing. The AI don't seem to need to precisely look at ammunition to pick things up like the player does, so he's probably picking up the nearby javelin quiver of the skirmisher you killed before he ducked.

ah kk but im not sure though since he already had one why picking up another quiver when he is running away not in engaging mode to add is the question. Also they usually bend their whole back in to it but you could be right. Perhaps two animations got clipped in with eachother

Last edited:
ezgif-3-e7576d4b7d46.gif

How i usually see em picking stuff up but its a good thing because here you can see that they actually do pick up stuff even if they have ammo which is good to know.

Last edited:
Wow this Post is dead. Anyways, seems like no-one care even after over a year. The AI is still dumb like a target practice. AI Still can't Kick, or Bash. And noone seems to request or post anything about it anymore. Sad Sad. I'm the only one in game know how to kick and bash LOL. I just got back into the game after a year break and seems like I'll leave for another year and hope for better when I get back.

Also flinching because being hit by another arrow, so that my perfect wannabe-headshot misses. :lol:

In the arena (mostly, because in battle one on ones are seldom for me) I sometimes have the feeling that my shield is pushed away despite holding it up, and I get hit by the AI. Do others have similar experience?

Back
Top Bottom