Why is there no plate exactly ?

Users who are viewing this thread

For me, I would be very happy if devs added a plate shoulder armor or a good armor for shoulders to match the vlandian cloat of plates chest armor and a crusader helmet for them...

Whether or not the armor looks like plate or mail or lamellar is purely an aesthetic question. What it looks like is just decoration and 15th century plate doesn't fit the current setting. What matters is the armor values and that should be a lot higher across the board.

There's a much smaller gap in Bannerlord between a looter and a top-tier elite than there was in Warband. Everyone's got 100HP and high weapon skills don't translate to as big of a power multiplier as they used to, so it mainly comes down to gear as the differentiating factor. But while weapon damage seems to have been doubled and even tripled, armor values are the same or lower, so even a looter can kill your Banner Knight if he gets a couple of lucky shots in.

I agree with you here. Lamellar armor has been show to be almost as protective as full plate because it uses overlapping, small plates of armor which support one another. Its downside was that the lacing holding it together was prone to breaking thus weakening the armor over time. Also in many cases, Lamellar was worn over chain for a double layer of protection. Either way, a looter with a club shouldn't be doing much damage to someone wearing a full set of high end lamellar armor.

Also high tier troops don't really feel all that high tier. I remember a fight with some desert bandits I had were after the battle, I was totally shocked that I had lost a number of Elite Cataphracts and Legionaries to bandits, most of which were wearing robes. I would really like to see troop tier and their armor be meaningful.

For me, I would be very happy if devs added a plate shoulder armor or a good armor for shoulders to match the vlandian cloat of plates chest armor and a crusader helmet for them...

Unfortunately spaulders didn't come into play until around 1400 AD so out of scope for the games time period. Also as crazy as it sounds, while places like the Bzyantine Empire actually used shoulder armor in the Early Medieval Period, it fell out of style in Western Europe and does not appear to have been used at all. All they did was wear chainmail and a helmet, period.

Whether or not the armor looks like plate or mail or lamellar is purely an aesthetic question. What it looks like is just decoration and 15th century plate doesn't fit the current setting. What matters is the armor values and that should be a lot higher across the board.

There's a much smaller gap in Bannerlord between a looter and a top-tier elite than there was in Warband. Everyone's got 100HP and high weapon skills don't translate to as big of a power multiplier as they used to, so it mainly comes down to gear as the differentiating factor. But while weapon damage seems to have been doubled and even tripled, armor values are the same or lower, so even a looter can kill your Banner Knight if he gets a couple of lucky shots in.

Plate is late 13th century, do some research, friend.

They further developed it in the 14th and 15th.

Or you can use wiki for further confirmation.

Is there anything from the developers stating that Bannerlord is a period piece that puts a window on specific cultures and technology? Or are people assuming that from the rough associations of different cultures like empire = romans?

Personally a problem I have with Bannerlord is that there is little differentiation between the different cultures' armor. I'm assuming that'll come with time but this look is so iconically Warband that I'm just assuming it'll make a reappearance in Bannerlord:

Is there anything from the developers stating that Bannerlord is a period piece that puts a window on specific cultures and technology? Or are people assuming that from the rough associations of different cultures like empire = romans?

Personally a problem I have with Bannerlord is that there is little differentiation between the different cultures' armor. I'm assuming that'll come with time but this look is so iconically Warband that I'm just assuming it'll make a reappearance in Bannerlord:

Exactly, but still plate armor should be a luxury only for the most wealthy.

"Full plate armour was very expensive to produce and remained therefore restricted to the upper strata of society"

I DO hope this come back with better graphics in bannerlord, Its original from warband. or something like new heavy armors for vlandians and 12th century crusader helmets...( its just my personal taste, and i love this game)

I agree with you here. Lamellar armor has been show to be almost as protective as full plate because it uses overlapping, small plates of armor which support one another. Its downside was that the lacing holding it together was prone to breaking thus weakening the armor over time. Also in many cases, Lamellar was worn over chain for a double layer of protection. Either way, a looter with a club shouldn't be doing much damage to someone wearing a full set of high end lamellar armor.

While cutting damage will do squat, it can and will cut the laces.
Powerful arrows and crossbows will break off and bend plates considerably.
And because of it's flexible nature, it far the worst against blunt weapons like maces or hammers.

Lameral will still protect you decently, but it is signifinactly worse than plate.

so we get these beautiful graphics, and no shiny plate armor? really? not like from head to toe, but at least a breast plate, with heraldic trimmings

Last edited:
It's up to talented modders to give us what we want. They will, in time.
Yeah, because there's too many different demands for one Taleworlds to tackle. That times a thousand and you get a rough estimate of the difficulty of putting directly contradictory things into one competitive package.

I fully support the points made earlier in the thread regarding the exclusion of plate. Including something so vastly unfit for the time period(s) being represented is no different than adding kevlar swimsuits or Stormtrooper armor while we're at it.

Fixing the general lack of protection armor currently provides may dissolve the illusion Warband has created that only an Ironflesh 10 STR 30 dude in full plate is "protected enough".

I get it's a game, but if Calradia's physics allow a looter with a dull switchblade to cut through chainmail, I wonder why anyone bothers to wear any armor at all. At least wearing a linen shirt would encumber you less, given that the protection it provides is roughly similar to ten kilos worth of metal rings. And it would be cheaper in general.

Kinda explains why lords fight with mostly T1 peasants right now, lol.

While cutting damage will do squat, it can and will cut the laces.
Powerful arrows and crossbows will break off and bend plates considerably.
And because of it's flexible nature, it far the worst against blunt weapons like maces or hammers.

Lameral will still protect you decently, but it is signifinactly worse than plate.
You seem to miss the point. Each scale overlaps the next, so the laces for each scale are hidden UNDER the one above. You can't simply cut the laces with a slashing weapon. Striking a scale transfers MOST of the impact to the two scales in the row below, which it partially overlaps, so it spreads out impacts amazingly well. I've worn the stuff, been struck by a rattan "sword" swung with force, and wasn't even sure where it hit until afterwards (it left a mark on the metal), although the force of the impact did stagger me to some small degree. You don't simply break off a scale with an arrow or bolt, although you could technically possibly in a best-case situation fire the bolt or arrow upward at some extreme angle from below to get beneath the scales.....

The down side is that it's heavy, and the lacing goes bad over time, so it has to be rebuilt periodically. I also imagine that it would get kind of funky if you were to do a hand-stand for some inconceivable reason.

From the number of broken bronze fittings for Lorica Segmentata found at sites of former Roman camps, the breakage and replacement of those fittings was probably a logistical nightmare in the field. You can just carry a few spare rings to repair chain mail, but having to stock a handful of spares for each of the unique fasteners on a set of Segmentata was a very possible reason for its abandonment. It's not like you could produce them locally in most of Europe at the time. Incidentally, Segmentata also transfers energy from each lame to the one below it, making it rather decent at absorbing and diffusing impact. Chain requires a heavily padded gambeson beneath it for that purpose, and is still significantly less effective against impacts, even though it technically does transfer some energy from a ring that's struck to two of its four interconnected rings.

I've always preferred the later medieval armour and equipment to the Viking Age which is more or less what we have in Bannerlord, unfortunately for me. I would love to see more brigandines, gambeson,mail and plated mail armour though, as I believe those were the most common and effective armours before the introduction of full plate armour. But instead we have studded leather, cloth and more leather as armour as the most common in Bannerlord :sad:

Back
Top Bottom