Why is there no plate exactly ?

Users who are viewing this thread

If we try to guess what century the game is in, mine would be the 13-14th century because of the Mongol Empire aka Khuzait. But that would also mean that plate should really be in the game as it came in fashion again after the fall of the Roman Empire in the 13th century, Vlandians and Imperials i could see using plate with their vast economies and strong factions.

Even if not, i think that plate would be a game changer as archers tear through the toughest units in the game right now like butter.

Last edited:
other than odd castles, this game is set in early middle ages, thus no plate. Mongols weren't the first horse archer army ever :wink: Modders will add this for sure, adding plate would break the immersion. If you want plate, play warband or wait for mods.

If we try to guess what century the game is in, mine would be the 13-14th century because of the Mongol Empire aka Khuzait. But that would also mean that plate should really be in the game as it came in fashion again after the fall of the Roman Empire in the 13th century, Vlandians and Imperials i could see using plate with their vast economies and strong factions.

Even if not, i think that plate would be a game changer as archers tear through the toughest units in the game right now like butter.
So round shields, norman style helmets, arabic beduin style warriors, 11-12 th century cataphracts are from 13-14th century? My friend I'm not sure you know the technology of 14th century.

Btw Khuzaits are not solely based on the Mongols of 14th century, they are a confederation of Mongolian and Turkic tribes from 11th century around the time of the battle of Manzikert. We can draw parallels here, whole she wolf myth is highly based on Turkic creation legend and the fact that we have Khuzaits and Khergits shows that there are 2 main branch of tribes in the Khanate living together yet they themselves say they are of different lineages. Like Turks and Mongols. So in the game its highly possible that they are the combination of Turkic and Mongolian tribes around 11th century before the Turkic migration to Anatolia.

other than odd castles, this game is set in early middle ages, thus no plate. Mongols weren't the first horse archer army ever :wink: Modders will add this for sure, adding plate would break the immersion. If you want plate, play warband or wait for mods.

I don't think it breaks immersion, The Empire has nothing to make them stand out other than a empty tales of glory, Plate would be such a thing, i think that all factions having the same tier of armor despite of their economies breaks the immersion more. I want to see The Empire's infantry units in plate to repel all those archers they have to face, since they have taken certain liberties with the realism i don't see why plate can't be in Vanilla.

I know that in practice plate armor were not so great against said longbows but i always liked riding into battle with a shiny armor, mail and scale armor just doesn't do it for me.

If you think the high tier unit of The Empire is great, watch a video and see what archers does to them, hell be my guest and bring twice as many infantry, it won't make any difference. Heavy infantry should not die to archers that way.

Last edited:
guess that you'll have to wait for mods then as TW has a clear direction with this game. Don't want to break it for you, but other than visuals, plate wasn't really more defensive in Warband when compared to high tier armours of other factions. There is a thing called balance my friend :wink: separately, all infantry melts to archers in this game. My Imperial archers and horse archers dominate the battlefield :wink:

The game starts in the year 10xx, of course, Calradia probably didn't exist on earth (I could be very very wrong) so it could be in another galaxy far far away.

So round shields, norman style helmets, arabic beduin style warriors, 11-12 th century cataphracts are from 13-14th century? My friend I'm not sure you know the technology of 14th century.

Btw Khuzaits are not solely based on the Mongols of 14th century, they are a confederation of Mongolian and Turkic tribes from 11th century around the time of the battle of Manzikert. We can draw parallels here, whole she wolf myth is highly based on Turkic creation legend and the fact that we have Khuzaits and Khergits shows that there are 2 main branch of tribes in the Khanate living together yet they themselves say they are of different lineages. Like Turks and Mongols. So in the game its highly possible that they are the combination of Turkic and Mongolian tribes around 11th century before the Turkic migration to Anatolia.

Very informative post thanks.

Of course i did not refer to the technology of the Khuzait, it was merely when fighting against them, i think the other factions with huge economies like Vlandian and The Empire have no way to counter Khuzait, their high tier infantry and archers just doesn't do it. They are good though fighting other infantry, but against Khuzait they have nothing, Khuzait is pretty much strong on all fronts, specially mounted and from range and their spearmen is not half bad either, not to mention the Noble Son's troops like Quangli. Unit wise they are the strongest in the game overall.

Vlandian has some good mounted troops and Pikemen/voulgiere, but that won't matter when they are being aniihilated by horse archers, Lancers, Marksmen and Spearmen, when i got my army up and running i haven't lost a single battle on realistic as Khuzait.

If by some miracle their pikemen get in swinging range of my archers they still have to keep in mind, my Marksmen have good armor and defense, they are not english longbowmen that fall like winter wheat, so they need a massive advantage in numbers to have any chance as AI.

Khuzait may seem too strong, but i think its the other factions that needs some love.

Last edited:
Very informative post thanks.

Of course i did not refer to the technology of the Khuzait, it was merely when fighting against them, i think the other factions with huge economies like Vlandian and The Empire have no way to counter Khuzait, their high tier infantry and archers just doesn't do it. They are good though fighting other infantry, but against Khuzait they have nothing, Khuzait is pretty much strong on all fronts, specially mounted and from range and their spearmen is not half bad either, not to mention the Noble Son's troops like Quangli. Unit wise they are the strongest in the game overall.
Vlandian arbalests do pretty well against the khuzaits, you should try them... You do need like 70 of them to get the full effect.

I don't really care if they added in plate, since I don't mind bending historical accuracy in a non-recreation setting for fun. That said, I don't get it.

I think scale/lamellar/chainmail armor are all really cool and I love getting to emphasize them a little more. I love the 11th century setting and find it just has a bit more grit to it.

The Empire should not have plate of any sort.

Can you be constructive and give a reason as to why you think they shouldn't ? it's obvious that their infantry is meant to be above all others, as a jack of all trades they are little more than a meatwall, they need to specialize in something, and it wouldn't break my immersion if the game told me that the ancient empire had some secrets to gain advantage over the other factions, that the impression you get from the culture screen.

Cataphracts existed way before the 11th century, Byzantine cataphracts looked like this since 600 A.D. Why do we have a whole faction of Celtic tribes in the 13th century? Why are there Vikings in the 13th century? Aserai are more rashidun caliphate than anything else which is 600 A.D. this game is set post migration 600-900 A.D which explains the presence of Vikings, Celts, and the lack of later medieval armor.

Cataphracts existed way before the 11th century, Byzantine cataphracts looked like this since 600 A.D. Why do we have a whole faction of Celtic tribes in the 13th century? Why are there Vikings in the 13th century? Aserai are more rashidun caliphate than anything else which is 600 A.D. this game is set post migration 600-900 A.D which explains the presence of Vikings, Celts, and the lack of later medieval armor.
Uhm I did not say cataphracts did not exist before 11th century. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Vlandia has two plate armors. You aren't allowed to have them. They are not true plate armor, though the spitems file lists them as plate.

This game take place just after the fall of Romain empire. So 600-1000.
The Khuzait are not Mongols. There is many nomadic empire betwin Huns and Mongols.
Plates arrmors come later in time.

Can you be constructive and give a reason as to why you think they shouldn't ? it's obvious that their infantry is meant to be above all others, as a jack of all trades they are little more than a meatwall, they need to specialize in something, and it wouldn't break my immersion if the game told me that the ancient empire had some secrets to gain advantage over the other factions, that the impression you get from the culture screen.

Sure, because they're basically the Byzantine Empire -- an advanced empire in decline using tried-and-true technologies. Plate mail represents the next stage of warfare, so if someone should have it, it should be a different faction entirely.

And it's a fictitious setting, I know, but there's huge value in presenting an aesthetic and style we don't see in video games that often: early to high middle ages. This setting already has a late medieval period: that's Warband. Plate can stay there.

The late middle ages / early renaissance is so incredibly overrepresented in video games, and plate armor is a dime a dozen in most settings. It is tiring and and tedious and I don't want to see the uniqueness of this setting watered down just to soak up arrows.

There are other ways to handle that. Use formations. Disrupt the archers. They're not really a huge problem.

Back
Top Bottom