Why is the Imperial Legionary's polearm a downgrade?

Currently viewing this thread:

Boop

Recruit
Best answers
One of the things that irks me the most about the imperial troop line is how upgrading an Imperial Veteran Infantryman to a Legionary cuts their polearm's length by about half.

Veteran infantrymen on the left, legionary on the right:

This makes no sense. By upgrading a unit you should always be getting upgrades instead of trade-offs, unless it's a unit that branches into two different troop lines.

Aho

Recruit
Best answers
Ey what's up, man. Whenever I turn on this game I just sigh at the spears. "Just use them, please?" and they just whip out their swords and have spears looking like wacky-waving-inflatible-arm-flailing-tubeman's

R4MPZY

Sergeant at Arms
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
To me, they shouldn't have spears on their backs but oh well.
I agree, this makes the Menavliaton kind of useless, because why would you choose a unit with a spear, when there's a unit with spear AND shield. Not that spears actually matter at this point.

Aho

Recruit
Best answers
I agree, this makes the Menavliaton kind of useless, because why would you choose a unit with a spear, when there's a unit with spear AND shield. Not that spears actually matter at this point.
YES YES YES. You read my mind good sir. Like they can have pilas thats cool but they just have a big ass spear.

Askorti

Sergeant Knight at Arms
WB
Best answers
I think it's because the Pilum was supposed to be a throwing spear, not a melee weapon, but they messed up and it ended up like this...

Stromming

Veteran
WBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
The only acceptable weapons for anything called a legionare is:

Short sword (gladius)
Shield (tower)
Throwing spear (pilum)

imgran

Squire
Best answers
A shorter polearm isn't necessarily a downgrade. Llegionaries were built to fight in close quarters, where a short polearm can actually have advantages. The way to fight with a traditional length polearm is to back off and make space for yourself to get in a good thrust. With shorter polearms you can fight with them in tight quarters.

Shrugging Khan

Sergeant Knight at Arms
WBNW
Best answers
Shouldn't the legionary have javelins instead of a spear, anyways? They already have swords for close quarters, after all, and their short spear isn't really much for anti-cavalry work.

Caps

Knight at Arms
WBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
One of the things that irks me the most about the imperial troop line is how upgrading an Imperial Veteran Infantryman to a Legionary cuts their polearm's length by about half.

Veteran infantrymen on the left, legionary on the right:

This makes no sense. By upgrading a unit you should always be getting upgrades instead of trade-offs, unless it's a unit that branches into two different troop lines.
the right one is a pila its for throwing. It has the highest dmg on all throwing weapons. They can oneshot heavy armored horses plus they fly pretty far.

The Menavlion is more of an anti infantry weapon than anti cav. Thats why they are labeled as shock infantry aswell.

Last edited:

Demoulius

Recruit
Best answers
The polearms they have are ehm... throwing spears. If theyre using them as normal spears that sounds kinda stupid.

The PILA (the one for the legionare) Is also bugged atm. Cant be thrown and has VERY low damage.