Why is Medicine so slow to rise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kshahdoo

Recruit
I mean, it's literally 10 times slower to level up, than Steward.

I don't know, it probably depends on number of "patients", and then to improve it in a small group is like an absolute hell.

Well, you're not using Medicine all the time, are you. Like Ride, Steward gains xp just by doing stuff on the campaign map. You take your warband from one end of Caladria to the other, you get xp because you're riding a horse and dragging along 60 people.

Medicine, though, you're only getting xp if folks are wounded. So, you're not getting any xp unless you or your people are banged up. And if you're sitting still, healing up, you're still gaining xp towards Steward if you have a warband with you. It may also gain faster because you're getting xp from all 60 people you're in charge of, whereas you might only be getting xp towards Medicine for the 20 guys with booboos - not sure if the numbers matter.

It will raise faster once you'll start doing large battles and have lot of casualties and wounded. It raises slowly because generally player tries to avoid casualties.

After some values it will increase slowly anyway. With a 100 army and many different food you can increase 1 each day when you go from 100 to 120 stewardship, 20 in a day if you from 0 to 20. 5 in a day if you go from 40 to 50.
For same focus points on medicine if you have 30 wounded in a big battle you will get 5 medicine overall when going from 20 to 25.Also there isn't so much difference from avoiding deaths (former surgery skill) than curing the wounds,the former is more effective but not that match.

For big battles a good idea is join siege with allies.Your surgeon will gain experience even after being knocked and your allies will be good as your troops as a source of experience. Still after 100 raising is very slow, no idea why. Scouting on the other hand is the opposite: you spot more at once and you raise more when it is high.

Of the intelligence skills the only problematic to raise is engineering. You would have to play with enemies sieging, leaving the siege and sieging again for the sake of experience gaining otherwise you conquer all Calradia and get 100 skills.

The bigger question in my mind is whether it does anything of benefit. I can get a doctor in the group and I don't see a noticeable change in casualties or speed of recovery, but it might be there. Has anyone done a comparison?

Of the intelligence skills the only problematic to raise is engineering. You would have to play with enemies sieging, leaving the siege and sieging again for the sake of experience gaining otherwise you conquer all Calradia and get 100 skills.
Of course it makes a lot less difference not being able to level up engineering currently as not a single perk in the entire tree is actually working currently

The bigger question in my mind is whether it does anything of benefit. I can get a doctor in the group and I don't see a noticeable change in casualties or speed of recovery, but it might be there. Has anyone done a comparison?
It works, but numbers are bad. If you set to some irrealistic number like 900 or change the effect with some mod most of your casualties will be wounded instead of dead.

You get xp every time someone is hurt in battle, and as people are healed (used to be only healed in settlements, but I've noticed level ups while travelling lately). So, you can try having your recruits charge a castle, (or raid a village), and then run away once the recruits are downed. Heal the survivors, and hire someone to replace the ones you couldn't save...

I have seen that if you're wounded, if you hover over your % (campaign map, lower left) you'll see a breakdown of factors towards your healing rate, and having a surgeon in the party speeds it up.

It goes up way too slowly. This is a problem of elder scrolls skill system, it will never be balanced. You should never use elder scrolls system for passive skills, makes no sense and is impossible to balance. You can get away with it maybe for active skills but not passive ones.

Steward is also a passive skill, and goes up too fast. So what is the right speed for it to level up? There is no correct answer. Always it's either too slow or too fast. It levels up without you doing anything. You can't start the game already good at it. So every character ends up the same. Boring.

Warband system was much better, you just put points in medicine that that was that.

Elder scrolls system on passive skills like medicine and scouting is a failure. Big mistake.

It's slow and ***backwards. I want it because I DON'T want to lose guys, so I play to hardly lose anyone.......
So the Map is mine and Medic's skill is 25.....
I want to just get a point when I level up that I can just invest in a skill that's important to me, so by the time I'm ready for war I have maxed surgery.
Even if I did get it maxed late in the game, what good is that?

Anyone want to run an experiment?

You can gain the skill during combat.

Get some new recruits and send them to their deaths. Attack mountain bandits or forest bandits.

I think you get XP if they don't die. Never upgrade anyone and only keep about 10 in your party.

Skill should raise quickly.

he bigger question in my mind is whether it does anything of benefit. I can get a doctor in the group and I don't see a noticeable change in casualties or speed of recovery, but it might be there. Has anyone done a comparison?
It is one of the Skills that is almost fully implemented so you should see it having an effect

As for what it does:
Effects
Casualty survival chance +0.01% per level
Healing rate increase +0.1% per level
Healing rate increase +0.1% per level (Governor)
our analysis:
Code Analysis
This skill correctly increases casualty survival chance by +0.01% per level and increases healing rate by +0.1% per level (based on the party's Surgeon's medicine level, or the party leader's medicine level if no Surgeon is assigned). It also increases garrisoned troops' healing rate by +0.1% per medicine level of the governor of the garrison's town.

It's slow and ***backwards. I want it because I DON'T want to lose guys, so I play to hardly lose anyone.......
So the Map is mine and Medic's skill is 25.....
I want to just get a point when I level up that I can just invest in a skill that's important to me, so by the time I'm ready for war I have maxed surgery.
Even if I did get it maxed late in the game, what good is that?

This is why the looters not killing your guys was so useful, you could auto resolve fights against them, some guys would be ko but never dead and then you could rest and heal them and improve the skill.

in 1.3 gang fights could achieve the same but in 1.4 one of my men actually died for real, not ko but dead so I'm not doing them anymore

Last edited:
As for what it does:

Question is what those numbers mean. What is for example survival chance and how is it calculated? Because +0.01% per skill means that 100 skill Surgeon will give just +1% survival rate chance. Or in other words 1 out of 100 soldiers that would get killed will survive instead. At skill 200, 2 out of 100 would survive. That's literally nothing and can't be correct. That would make Surgeon and Medicine useless.

Same with healing rate. 10% increase in healing rate at skill 100 is pitiful.

Back
Top Bottom