Why is it so lagged?

Users who are viewing this thread

vespo1a

Recruit
Playing Mount and Blade 2 i got i problem with optimization though the used memory was less then 1400. it is uncomfortable to play game with Epic Games because the exiting it includes the freezes. Hope you make graphicscard work more then CPU.

Put in on SSD if you can and have 16gb of ram or more, it helps no matter what logic or game requirements says.

Edit: I don't know why I said or more, I upgraded from 8 to 16 and along with a SSD it play extremely well on near max settings.
I don't think more then 16 would do anything, but more then 8 diffidently will.

Last edited:
I play on SSD/16gb and I felt what I believe is memory leaks in 1.4.1. Haven't played the game extensively since 1.2, but it felt more laggy recently than I remembered from a month ago or so. Had to tune down the graphics quite a bit to get a flow and took down the number of units from 1000 to around 700, then it was smooth again.

No idea what caused it or even if it was all in my brain or actually worse than 1.2, but nonetheless the solution isn't just to have a SSD with 16gbs RAM since that's exactly what I have even though my comp is about 4 years old.

Put in on SSD if you can and have 16gb of ram or more, it helps no matter what logic or game requirements says.

Edit: I don't know why I said or more, I upgraded from 8 to 16 and along with a SSD it play extremely well on near max settings.
No SSD, only 16 Gb RAM, still runs smoothly enough.

How was the performance on 8 gb and 16gb of RAM? Because i got a gtx 1650 with 1x8gb Ram so.. idk.. does it help much with another stick of 8 gb?

How was the performance on 8 gb and 16gb of RAM? Because i got a gtx 1650 with 1x8gb Ram so.. idk.. does it help much with another stick of 8 gb?
for me on 8 gb ram it was it was very poor even on low settings. I must say I put in the 16 ram and SSD at once so I can't say which one was more effective, but many have reported changing either to be a big improvement. I think the game likes more then 8 ram to run well no matter what.
No SSD, only 16 Gb RAM, still runs smoothly enough.
^Looks like it's helped them run smoothly just to have 16 rams.

Windows 7 gtx 1050 8Go ram ddr4 intel i3 (can't check atm and don't remember which one)
I had horrible perf before optimizing (heavily) my computer, the bottleneck were my HDD and the 8Go ram now everthing is perfectly fine, I can run 1000 soldiers battle most of the time without too much fps drop (only if the game hasn't been running for hours and I capped it at 60fps)

I would say first check the ram usage of the game, if the game isn't using 100% of your ram then check your hard drive (mine isn't at 8Go but my windows 7 install run using only 700-750mb ram)

As others suggested SSD will be the way to go, but If you can't/don't want, just take the time to clean and optimize your HDD, that's what I did and it worked well and this was the cause of my initial terrible performance.

If ram is your bottleneck you could also try to increase the virtual memory paging, setting it to 2 times or 2.5 times your ram could work (I have this setting on my computer since forever I don't know what it's like without it actually I should probably try without).

As usual clean dust for heat/keep drivers up to date especially your graphic card and try to run as few softwares at the same time as possible, also I noticed slightly better performance on the beta branch.
My only issue with the game is letting it run for hours, after some time it just get laggy and then will randomly crash, restarting computer fix it.

TLDR : RAM and Hard drive.

Last edited:
Hope you make graphicscard work more then CPU.

I think a game like this is always going to be more CPU heavy.

Maybe if the game used Unreal engine. I did hear that engine is capable of shifting some of the load typically handled by the CPU to the GPU.

How can a technical noob know when it's the RAM and when it's the processor? I can't alt-tab and check the task manager, right?

How can a technical noob know when it's the RAM and when it's the processor? I can't alt-tab and check the task manager, right?
I use Open Hardware Monitor, it shows you the current and maximum usage for various parts of your system including GPU, CPU and RAM.

Reset the values before playing, then after you quit you'll be able to see what parts of the system were most stressed during the session.

You can, since this game doesn't have any mechanism to detect when it's minimized and lower resource usage.
You can also set it to borderless window to make alt-tabbing faster.
If you see it running slowly, alt-tab out, and task manager says your CPU is maxed out, then your problem is the CPU.
If it says it's only like 60% then it's not the CPU.
Pretty simple.

RAM/disk is a little harder. If task manager says your RAM is full, that's an obvious hint. Make sure to check with everything else closed because programs like Chrome can eat a lot of RAM.

If you want to really know for sure what's going on, you can use Performance Monitor, a Windows tool, get it here if it's not already installed:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
Right click the graph --> add counters --> add stuff to look at, most importantly page reads/sec (scale to 1.0) and disk read bytes/sec (scale to 0.000001 ie megabytes)
Both those measures should be low during gameplay (reads below 100-200/sec, bytes below 25-50mb/sec) and only spike during loading screens or rarely at random. If they're consistently too high or spiking too often then you know for sure the game needs more RAM than you have.

Anyway that's probably more complicated than you want, the simple rule is that this game does best with 16 gb of RAM right now.
Another rule: the less RAM you have, the more important your disk is. With 32 gb of RAM, disk usage is very low. With 8 gb it will be fairly high.

Also @Skatan,
There is a way to save a little extra ressources from cpu, since the game is launched via steam you can launch steam in no browser mod to avoid the "steamwebhelper" process, create a steam shortcut on your desktop right click it select property and on the target line add << -no-browser>> at the end, it should look like something like this : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -no-browser
This will disable some steam functions but when you want the 'normal' steam just launch it with an other shortcut like the one you used before creating this one.
Maybe you can also launch the game without steam if you go directly into the bannerlord folder, I never tried I like steam to record my total playtime.

It's not much but I like to think that every little extra help especially when we need it.

Back
Top Bottom