Why is every single NPC ugly as sin....and white?

Users who are viewing this thread

Idk why people keep acting like its impossible for a woman to fight in battle pregant when this crazy lady did it irl. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freydís_Eiríksdóttir lol

Well, the account of Freydis doing battle while pregnant comes from a Saga written several centuries after the events it describes; it's not necessarily historically accurate. Also, the Saga doesn't specify that she fought while pregnant, only that she threatened an attacking group of natives with a sword. In context, it sounds as if the attackers withdrew before she actually had to fight, and - importantly - that all of the men in her camp considered her willingness to fight to be very odd, erratic behavior.

Last edited:
^ yeah, I literally can't create a good looking character for myself. Most of my creations look like Nicolas Cage xD if someone has managed to create a very decent looking character, can he/she paste a screenshot here?

^ yeah, I literally can't create a good looking character for myself. Most of my creations look like Nicolas Cage xD if someone has managed to create a very decent looking character, can he/she paste a screenshot here?
iv seen several awesome/badass looking characters on reddit by people . there are also mods that replace the famous NPCs face preset with slightly better ones . so the character creation itself isnt that bad . but the problem is it seems all characters get their faces from a random generation

Idk why people keep acting like its impossible for a woman to fight in battle pregant when this crazy lady did it irl. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freydís_Eiríksdóttir lol
Who cares if its possible or not, unless you are forced to do it its quite selfish to do it since 2 lives might be lost instead of just one. And having children was far from guaranteed back then, and it was quite important especially if you lived in countryside.

Another question: why is my dad always black?

I've noticed a similar thing. The dad and brother always being Aserai (Middle Eastern looking) and the "home town" being in Khuzait territory even if I make a Sturgian or Vlandian with light skin and the blonde hair (even though the blonde hair is gray here for some reason). One of my characters also had 2 sons and 1 daughter, the sons came out as tiny copies of the Sturgian father while the daughter was a copy of the Khuzait mother. I'm pretty sure that's not how it works :roll:

I mean seriously my choices of spouse is ugly or even uglier. Dont get me started on every male(edit: and female) NPC regardless of factional culture looking either like a old grizzly white dude or young grumpy white dude.

Wheres our cultural diversity?

Just FYI, im white.
I'm sure they will fix this issue, it would be awesome if they implemented a faction like the ottomans that way we could have more diversity and fun.

Fully agreed I also find it weird by how ugly most of the characters are. It's not like the character creation doesn't allow for creating good looking characters. I just think they used randomise option and went with it, but because of that almost all NPCs have unrealistically asymmetric and weird looking faces.
unknown.png

I'm sure it's something that sooner or later will get fixed or simply changed by modders :smile:
They do look an awful lot like those weird Elite: Dangerous NPCs. They're just off. Bunch of disease-scarred freaks running around.

I mean seriously my choices of spouse is ugly or even uglier. Dont get me started on every male(edit: and female) NPC regardless of factional culture looking either like a old grizzly white dude or young grumpy white dude.

Wheres our cultural diversity?

Can we not with the SJW bull**** please

Just FYI, im white.

For some reason, this seems to not be a Mount and Blade problem, but an industry problem. I can't remember the last game I played where I could make a good-looking male character.

Well i find in Warband the Khergit cultural actually looked like Mongols same with Sarranid, in Bannerlord they just like tanned white people. lol
Khuzait is a combine of Mongol, Turkic, and other Eastern European nomads in real life, they're not only the Mongol. And Turkic people is pretty while, unlike Mongol or Sub-Saharan people..

Have to agree with the OP here. Every NPC in the game is fugly. It's unfortunate, and an upgrade would be nice.

im gonna have to say i actually really like the asymmetry. i have a few theories as to why people were 'uglier' back then than what we are used to. the most obvious one is beauty standards set by modern world and media, but that one is just too obvious im not even gonna go over it. most of us can look away from those standards if we choose to

the next reasons could be poor healthcare, wars, extermination of certain groups of people, social status and superstition. picture an era where biases and prejudices are acceptable, possibly even valued as common sense. ugly old women are evil witches, ugly young women are lowborns and worth nothing and ugly men are up to no good and likely criminals etc. their lives dont matter. we have only just barely come to accept them a few decades ago, hitler did a good job reminding us why lynching certain groups as well as handicapped and mentally ill kind of felt immoral and probably isnt the proper way to deal with this. but in a medieval violent world where individual struggle is a foreign concept and poorly understood, judging people by appearance should have been normal and even encouraged and understood as a helpful instinct

i imagine in a lot of wars, where all men were killed on the losing side, pretty women were enslaved and ugly women and kids were slain. repeat this over and over, and "ugly" faces become rare and pretty faces dominate and get more and more admired... and familiar. you can choose to look at a pretty face and point out why its actually ugly, and do the opposite for ugly faces. you can look at a kittens or puppy's face and point out why its snout looks grotesque, or hairs ugly, or eyes strangely formed etc. its about familiarity, and unfamiliarity, not some universal idea of beauty. personally i dont like symmetry, i dont see a lot of it where i grew up and never grew accustomed to it. when i see americans for example, especially in their politics and news, to me they look like they have all undergone a lot of plastic surgery. that looks like its their beauty standard, but to me it looks untrustworthy and alien from what im used to. i can choose to change my view on that, but then i also need to accept plastic surgery which i dont want to for personal reasons. one of the reasons is that its unsettling that im not sure how americans really look then, because of their altered self-image. but i think for americans, they must look very familiar, cant see the reason why its a common practice otherwise

for people who had health issues ranging from mental disorders to skin conditions to physical handicaps, i can see they make an "ugly" appearance in the medieval world, where we can otherwise treat them or, should their condition not be treatable at all, shelter them from public eye today to spare them from potential ridicule, or just the idea of it. people with chronic illnesses just kind of had to get by as everyone else in the medieval world, there was no special care. i have a pretty ugly skin condition with many wounds that are prone to infection, but in modern society i have access to all knowledge and technology on how to keep it under control, and its easy for me to expand on this knowledge, even if its not an actual cure. if i lived in the medieval world, i would get ugly infections and have nasty wounds and swollen skin. i would be ugly as hell, but never life threatened. so by medieval standards, im supposed to carry on and get told to stop whining, which im still told now and then even today. i would be told that all my wounds are my own doing, and that im the reason my skin is wretched. that it must be something i am doing, or that i am not believing in god enough, or that i am making it up to escape responsibilities etc. prejudices still exist, that make us draw strange reasons to why people hurt themselves, that its a choice and therefore they deserve no respect. so its not impossible to imagine those prejudices cracking up completely during violent times, eliminating groups and types we dont appreciate, or dont happen to like appearance wise (or fail to understand unfamiliarity and appreciate it)

im not sure what this rant is leading up to. i guess im trying to say we outbred and destroyed variety in faces with violence throughout history, and that is why we cant stand looking at facial variety today no more. i think its depressing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom