Why I'm taking a break from Bannerlord.

Are you taking a break?

• Sounds like a good idea, I'm in.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • I'm gonna think about it...

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • I'm leaning towards 'no'...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not in a million years. I'm a masochist and all I need to thrive is pain and disappointment.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • I like the game/I don't mind the development/I'm gonna stay to give feedback and stuff.

Votes: 22 28.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been waiting very patiently since patch 1.5.4 for a patch that introduces a better leveling system, not too slow, not too fast, just right... a system that doesn't punish the player for leveling up and provides an overall enjoyable progression, maybe even limitless progression (no hard caps, whose idea was that?). A system where I would start a character of 20 years of age and by the time he gets to 40 after tons of in-game hours he's got many skills to 200-300 even (if I grind for this purpose), and each of them was enjoyable to level-up because they don't level at a dying sloth's pace later on...

As much as I appreciate the devs continuing the development of the game, I can't lie. It just hurts to wait for so long looking for improvements for some basic things that you really, really want and that shouldn't have been in this state to begin with. And they're still not getting any love after a whole year... The leveling in this game becomes so grindy and unenjoyable that you can give any kind of improvements to it and it can only get better, you simply can't make it worse (unless you make leveling too fast, and then you have another problem). Simple solutions like removing the reduced exp gain after level-ups and hard caps would be a godlike improvement with some more fine tuning, but I'm not going to get into this again, there have been so many suggestions given already.

There has been almost 1 full year of early access now and there are still unimplemented perks, too... seeing just a couple of perks being implemented every 1-2 months is just sad. Many perks are not interesting at all, they don't do anything special. They are most likely not hard to implement, they feel like they're there temporary and will be replaced at one point, if not by devs then by modders, so seeing some basic perks being implemented so rarely is just sad (like the smithing 2% more damage for weapon tip vs slash or whatever near the END of the perk tree. Just why. Weapons made at that level one-shot or two-shot anyway, it's literally a worthless perk that just occupies space because of lack of more creative ideas... There are many perks that feel meaningless, especially the combat perks).

I was also waiting for the roguery perk that allows us to get big armies of bandits and it's just not coming still (unless I'm blind, idk, I spent a few seconds scanning the perks and just wanted to quit the game already). A single perk that would actually give some value to the roguery tree which has worthless perks throughout. A simple perk that was to come but now I'm wondering if they changed their mind on implementing it. This game needs more 'game changer' perks, period. Every perk tree should offer some unique flavor to the game. Recruit big parties of bandits from roguery, buy castles from trading - those are the only 2 perks I can think of right now that change gameplay up a bit, that offer something new and refreshing (I never played with the turn bandits > to regular troops perk since leadership is poopoo to level without army playthrough, yet that may be such a perk too). Tactics should have allowed us to deploy our troops, but that will be a general feature later on in the game probably so tactics tree doesn't offer anything fun, only auto-resolve. Many (if not most) perk trees are just unfun, and they don't provide OP advantages either, and the game is easy anyway, so what is the point of them... at least make them fun. Also what is the point of leveling two-handed skill if you can already one-shot most units in the game by the time you're 100 in skill with a good enough weapon? It's simply not properly thought-out.

Anyhow, maybe 1.6 is supposed to be the "game changer", the big patch that makes gameplay enjoyable again. But even if this might just be the case, I've been hoping this for each patch for many months now, waiting every day, checking for a new update, just to be kind of disappointed in the end... It feels like insanity to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results at this point. Even if I go back 3 patches ago and jump to this one there is nothing new that really sparks my desire to play again. The pillage settlements feature was supposed to be a cool strategic thing (at least that's what most of us thought), where you devastate an enemy settlement and don't occupy it. It only made sense that that was the purpose of the feature. Yet no, you just destroy your own future settlement instead, so that's great... It just feels like the community and devs are many times not on the same page. Like, we sometimes have a wonderful vivid crystal-clear dream about how the game can look, while the devs take that dream and they record it with a 144p camera then wait around 2 months and then give it to a blind man to translate it and put it into the game and there you have the result. It's just so weird. I see tons of good suggestions that aren't taken into consideration or are just misinterpreted. Anyway.

I am not writing this post just to express my frustrations, but it is inevitable at this point. I'm just writing to make myself remember that I'm taking an official break from the forums and the game for at least 3 months. I am realizing that 1 month of development is definitely not enough new content to spark my interest, so I want to encourage everyone who waits for good content to not get too negative right now, and also realize that you will only get disappointed if you stare at the screen every day hoping for a miraculous patch with 30 days of development. We just have to accept that it's simply not coming, and everything will add up in time instead. So I don't know what you are all doing. Some of you may still play and bug-test, my hat is off to you. But if you just can't stand the disappointment anymore to the point where you feel obligated to express negativity, maybe think about it, reflect and consider my solution as well. Don't be negative, take a break, come back later and maybe there will be a pleasant surprise. After 2-3 months there is a higher chance for that than only after 1 month, that's the only logical solution I can think of now after so many patches that just aren't satisfying for me.

Take your time, play another game or do better things, maybe put your life in order a bit. Finish your deadlines, so there is less stress later on. Anything productive or relaxing. And if you still enjoy this game in this state, you might as well keep playing, that is also fine.

I'm taking a break, and I'm leaving this small essay to maybe give someone else a different perspective or ideas, and at the same time some feedback. At the very least I might leave for a bored individual something to read in these dire times.
What I want to do in my break is simple. I will stay away from games for a while, do my dissertation, and do more physical exercises. By summer I want a beach body. I want to go outside, take a walk/run through the park every now and then, and just enjoy spring. That's pretty much it.

See y'all in a couple of months, have a nice break. ??✌

atm I'm just annoyed by the absence of any diplomatic element in the game. The generally unspectacular updates are a bit wearisome. Still just hoping more substantial stuff is being worked on.

Hey, there are tons of other games to enjoy out there! Playing only Bannerlord gets boring :3

In 3 months we will get something like this:

Keep Battles and new Battle scenes system
New Town and Castle scenes
Some new armor pieces
Some of the perks that are still missing
Multiplayer Duel Mode
New maps for multiplayer modes

And probably 2-3 unannounced features that they want to do next.

Sounds like one of those "I'm taking a break from Facebook" posts where you need to tell everyone about it.

Just offer the feedback in the suggestions section and take a break from the game. You don't need to announce it to the world.

I am taking a break from the game since release of EA. For me there is no point in investing time in an unfinished game when it's going to be much more fun at a later date. The only reason I start the game is to see new or lacking features and provide criticism. But other people are way better at this, so most of the time I just agree with them. For me that's the point of EA.

As the person who gets called a white knight around here all the time my answer might surprise you...

Uninstall the game; check the forum if you like but ignore it and move on to other things. When EA is finished 'fingers crossed' Bannerlord will be in a much much better state.

indeed I'd recommend this to everyone struggling to get into the game right now; leave it be and come back later.

Though you missed an important voting option: 'That's great - see you when you come back!'

"What I want to do in my break is simple. I will stay away from games for a while, do my dissertation, and do more physical exercises. By summer I want a beach body. I want to go outside, take a walk/run through the park every now and then, and just enjoy spring. That's pretty much it".

A summer "beach body"? hahaha yeah, my strict regime of beer drinking and furious masturbation won't really allow for that.

Last edited:
I mean, taking a break is the best thing to do once the game gets too frustrating.

I've been bannerlord-free for a month now!

The best we can do right now is wait and see how things evolve...

Last edited:
Sounds like one of those "I'm taking a break from Facebook" posts where you need to tell everyone about it.

Just offer the feedback in the suggestions section and take a break from the game. You don't need to announce it to the world.
This is exactly what I thought when I read the thread title :xf-wink:

Yeah I agree with your feelings, but I'm still playing it because I like this type of game. Despite the many frustrating issues it's still enjoyable enough and I'd rather play it then more warband.

I tired to install MTGO on this PC for the first time and I couldn't get it to work :sad: I tried to install MTG Arena but it failed after the stupid tutorial (won't let me play lands second main phase...casuals) My expensive green/white hate bear deck is just in limbo somewhere forever.

a system that doesn't punish the player for leveling up and provides an overall enjoyable progression, maybe even limitless progression (no hard caps, whose idea was that?)
Yeah this is a big one. I think I've gotten Stockholm syndrome (or something) with the default system and by now I just do my char to what I've determined the optimum build is (with a few flexible caveats) as don't worry about it, but then I have to do education for the kids and am reminded how much a middle finger it really is..... all these options...... but really you get bow, riding, steward or scouting and anything else will take you 20 years to get to 200!

This game needs more 'game changer' perks, period. Every perk tree should offer some unique flavor to the game.
I agree. I do say Uncanny Insight is pretty good, but I would love for every tree to have an ultimate worthy of getting. Athletics and Medic have a good 'in theory' ultimate one, but in un-modded gameplay you'll never ever EVER get them, EVER.

Also what is the point of leveling two-handed skill if you can already one-shot most units in the game by the time you're 100 in skill with a good enough weapon? It's simply not properly thought-out.
Absolutely, the perks related to weapons are some of the laziest, silliest things in the game. There's a few that benefit governors and a few secondary effects that can help you, but I can 1 shot a élite cataphract with out ever putting FP or Vigor in, so why bother with "+2% swing speed. + 10% head damage", man nobody survives a headshot from a long glaive. I wish they had some fun perks like "Couch any polearm" or "throw any weapon".... or have a chance of special units appearing to offer to serve you because "you the greatest swordsman in the land". FUN and USEFUL.
I wish the 275 riding perk would let you order all unmounted horses to charge the enemies for you :wink:

Last edited:
I conquered a city of my own culture (Vlandian) with mercenaries who are also Vlandian (Golden boar and Brotherhood of the woods). This caused a huge relationship penalty of -30 with Golden Boar and - 40 with Brotherhood of the Woods (3 x -10 and 4 x -10 for some reason; I am guessing because both companies had 3 and 4 members in my army respectively). This is literary a deal breaker at the moment as I am still unable to hire Lords. and mercenaries will not accept to fight with me again after this.

I wish they had some fun perks like "Couch any polearm" or "throw any weapon".... or have a chance of special units appearing to offer to serve you because "you the greatest swordsman in the land". FUN and USEFUL.

Oh yeah... swing any weapon so that I can swing that stupidly long cataphract lance.

And throwing a two handed axe would be a nice reward for grinding out 200+ athletics.

Not now, I just get courage and install all mod dependencies, Harmonies, Buterloders, McM and else, and I'm playing with lots of mods. It means that I'm playing a new and fresh game.

The problem is about perks,which are only metheds to avoid blance issues of this game,but in sandbox games especially ARPG games they means something gifted only gamers have(not npc lords),as well as a good way to ensure progress of the game has not get too much bad influence by giving players too much privilege.Perks in current version are still utillized to cover these lacks of skill improvement that could let the growth of character be clearly seen through an overall game experience.

The problem is about perks,which are only metheds to avoid blance issues of this game,but in sandbox games especially ARPG games they means something gifted only gamers have(not npc lords),as well as a good way to ensure progress of the game has not get too much bad influence by giving players too much privilege.Perks in current version are still utillized to cover these lacks of skill improvement that could let the growth of character be clearly seen through an overall game experience.
Sure, but in Bannerlord the lords have perks too, often many in spreads the human player would not realistically achieve at all.

Back
Top Bottom