Why has it been in development for so long and so little was done?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm sorry but this is just stupid. Most businesses out there receive some form of Government grants unless they're a corner grocery store (and even those do too). The whole "funded by the Turkish government" thing is a complete non-talking point that just entices people to bring whatever pet political/economic beliefs they have into a discussion of game development. Ugh.

So?
Literally from that post:

"Yes, the Turkish government gives some small assistance, similar to schemes in many other countries around the world for tech companies "

I don't know what sector/profession most of you work in but Government grants are common and just... not significant? I got a government grant to do my technical training for my profession, for example. My friend 10 years ago opened a skateboard shop and got a Government assistance grant.

I fail to see how a business getting a grant is relevant to a discussion of development. I can't help but think its usually brought up by adolescents who don't understand how the world works and thinks Government grants imply things that they really don't.

So?
Literally from that post:

"Yes, the Turkish government gives some small assistance, similar to schemes in many other countries around the world for tech companies "

I don't know what sector/profession most of you work in but Government grants are common and just... not significant? I got a government grant to do my technical training for my profession, for example. My friend 10 years ago opened a skateboard shop and got a Government assistance grant.

I fail to see how a business getting a grant is relevant to a discussion of development. I can't help but think its usually brought up by adolescents who don't understand how the world works and thinks Government grants imply things that they really don't.

I just gave a link to the statement TW made about this, you need to calm down a bit.

I think this is reddit games problem. Same is with xenonauts 2. They just drain as much money as its possible from fans.

Have you guys ever considered that maybe their team is just unexperienced and need more time than maybe other developers? If it's the case, would you be more mad? Less mad? Is it a good idea to be mad? Is it constructive to be whiny?

This is what another developer said on the steam forums about that subject;

Raiden [developer] Feb 20 @ 9:44am
Hey everyone, I am this Vishnu from the ancient email that everyone suddenly seem to have resurrected. I basically work in business development and as a company, we are curious about new technologies. As such, I inquire and explore interesting tech to see if it can be used in our game and studio. Yes, we have inquired about Denuvo and researched it. It was decided after that that we will not be using Denuvo in MB2.

The other rumor that our studio is state funded is also not true. This may shatter the dreams of all aspiring developers who were going to move here to get free funding from the government to run a studio of this size basically for free for decades at a time because of this rumor. But for those interested, the government does provide rebates in taxes similarly or competitively to other world governments to their own tech industry.

Conspiracies aside, we are very excited to open the doors to SP next month. We genuinely hope that every one of you will enjoy Bannerlord ^^

Your attitude is why devs know they can get away with it. Your part of a larger problem with the gaming industry.
His attitude is fine. You bought an EA game and are now complaining about why it is early access. Yes, we all wanted this 5 years ago but it didn't happen and we are no longer in 2015. We are here now with the game so be happy with that.

His attitude is fine. You bought an EA game and are now complaining about why it is early access. Yes, we all wanted this 5 years ago but it didn't happen and we are no longer in 2015. We are here now with the game so be happy with that.
i actually didn't complain once, so keep your arguments to yourself kiddo. BTW. constructive criticism is good. This thread is useless, but the idea that EA means problems are 'too be expected' and criticism is viewed as entitlement is why companies will keep selling you unfinished work.

Last edited:
Its funny because I thought similar. I have been following the beta of the original game when the devs were just two people, maybe 15 years ago. Development was so slow I stopped playing because things in my life changed. A lot of time has passed since then and while the current release is nice, I certainly would have imagined much, much more, given they have now a staff of hundred people or so according to the wiki. It doesn't matter much though. The combat system, while being more or less identical, is still second to none after all these years. And the general approach of going for a comprehensive background simulation instead of quickly throwing together a bunch of scripted stories makes it a nice sandbox and is probably the reason that makes it hard to add content. It's also nice that the graphics look up to date. I'm really enjoying the game.

Wooooow. So this useless thread needs locked. There is a couple points I want to throw out there.
1)Taleworlds has not "sold" an unfinished game. If you have purchased this game, you did so with the understanding that you are using your $40 to opt into the development process and help with bugsmashing/balance issues. If you have a problem with bugsmashing/balance issues then don't play or purchase the game.
2)At no point has Taleworlds owed it to anyone to release this game before the point at which it is ready. The game is not "fully" released and judging as such is worthless. If you don't like it, or have a complaint about the state of the game, why are you playing? Just wait until Taleworlds finishes it, then complain. It's gonna happen anyways. Rant over

We can argue all day about why it took such a long time, but it's all been said before many, many times. At least the wait is finally over, that's what's important! :xf-smile:

I mean they took a very long time with this game and it was released quite unpolished. Is something wrong with their time management?
"Unpolished" is not "little". What makes you think they achieved "so little" in 8 years of development?

Do you have any idea what it takes to invent a system that allows for seamless battles with hundreds of actors in a complex battle simulator? I am going to assume you don't know.

Software engineering is hard, people. I mean really hard. Game development is the hardest kind of software engineering. You have to invent **** constantly and know your computer science inside out.

I mean they took a very long time with this game and it was released quite unpolished. Is something wrong with their time management?
I usually don't go this rout but, it's EA so there will be no "polish". Why perfect something that might be dumped for something new at any time?
It's easy to scoff and say "wtf the perks don't work", but they're clearly just place holders/concepts in development still and may be radical changed or replaced anytime.

As for why the general game wasn't finished more sooner in 8 years...... I read unsubstantiated claims that the work environment at TW was casual and undisciplined and workers just worked on what they felt like working on for the most part and you had a good share of slackers. Again, un substantiated but would explain it.

i actually didn't complain once, so keep your arguments to yourself kiddo. BTW. constructive criticism is good. This thread is useless, but the idea that EA means problems are 'too be expected' and criticism is viewed as entitlement is why companies will keep selling you unfinished work.
You say criticism is good but keep my arguments to myself. Shure thing "kiddo". What you are doing is not "constructive criticism" is just crying about something that cant be changed.

Back
Top Bottom