Why doesn't food spoil in the game? (also weapons/armor degrade and soldiers not aging/retiring)

Users who are viewing this thread

martko

Recruit
Makes little sense...it worked well in Warband..food would spoil...and jet here you can buy tons of food and it will last forever...Also weapons and even soldiers should age/degrade. (in soldiers case retire..I mean the other characters in game do age so why not the soldiers..are the soldiers immortal?)

Just like why you never need to go to toilet and drink for whole days, to make the game more accessible and less cumbersome i think.

Everyone want to be powerful and no one want to be the permanent crippled guy in a video game.

Just like why you never need to go to toilet and drink for whole days, to make the game more accessible and less cumbersome i think.

Everyone want to be powerful and no one want to be the permanent crippled guy in a video game.
The food spoiling worked just fine in Warband so why would it not work here? I am not asking them to make changes that were not in the previous games or mechanics that are not already in some state in this game ( aka characters aging. ) What your stating is just silly and you know it.

It's fine by me how it is. It's a realism vs Fun discussion and for this instance let's just stick with fun and not add tedium...

or... if you Enable Death at the start of the game, then food could degrade with that option for your realism shiggles.

Makes no sense...food rotting just makes perfect sense. If that ruins your game then man you must have hated playing any of their previous games. If anything the fact that food is never spoiling breaks the game illusion. Besides this would also fix alot of bugs and exploits where people just buy ton and ton of food and then never buy food again..or just move around selling it to towns since Hey food never spoils

The food spoiling worked just fine in Warband so why would it not work here? I am not asking them to make changes that were not in the previous games or mechanics that are not already in some state in this game ( aka characters aging. ) What your stating is just silly and you know it.

Not really, Fire and sword got guns, bomb and many other good features in it and i think it's very cool, why doesn't it exist in Bannerlord? 8 years development and not some content exist in previous game?

Because they are different game, and different game need to change and improvement. As for the foods point etc i personally don't think it's an improvement and I don't think there will be Modder doing this just to make it's realistic and more tedious.

Generally what they want to improve from Warband is 1000 vs 1000 battle in 1 fight, so with that kind of armies size the food system became tedious.

Not really, Fire and sword got guns, bomb and many other good features in it and i think it's very cool, why doesn't it exist in Bannerlord? 8 years development and not some content exist in previous game?

Because they are different game, and different game need to change and improvement. As for the foods point etc i personally don't think it's an improvement and I don't think there will be Modder doing this just to make it's realistic and more tedious.

Generally what they want to improve from Warband is 1000 vs 1000 battle in 1 fight, so with that kind of armies size the food system became tedious.
Man you are making bad points...for one thing this game is the prelude to Warband and that is the fact...Fire and sword is far in the future and has nothing to do with Warband or Bannerlords.. I am not talking about things that did not exist in Warband to be in Bannerlords ( unlike you are with your bombs and guns ) Food spoiling will not make the game tedius just makes it more balances if anything. Or do you find people aging and having to need horses to carry stuff tedious aswell? Or the fact that you need to have food at all..like why we need to feed the damn soldiers anyway?

just a few types of food would spoil, and even them you could do actions to stop that

Meat? Smoke meat or salt it
Fish? Same
Other stuff either lasts long enough you either ate it all (grapes) or just doesnt spoil easily (grain).

Considering you gain a little morale boost and skill XP for having lots of food variety ... it would just increase the micro management for the game.

Now lets think the other way around: why does the player needs to manually buy food? Why cant you tell one of your troops/companions to do that? Why do you need to stop by a village to buy food? Shouldnt you be able to just set it once and let the game do it automagically for you?

Yeah see its not that easy, right? Introduce spoiling food, and people will want auto food management. Thus spoiling food would be a useless feature.

Man you are making bad points...for one thing this game is the prelude to Warband and that is the fact...Fire and sword is far in the future and has nothing to do with Warband or Bannerlords.. I am not talking about things that did not exist in Warband to be in Bannerlords ( unlike you are with your bombs and guns ) Food spoiling will not make the game tedius just makes it more balances if anything. Or do you find people aging and having to need horses to carry stuff tedious aswell? Or the fact that you need to have food at all..like why we need to feed the damn soldiers anyway?

Depends on how they implement the aging system and how much time and things you had in 1 generation. Depend on the horse will "spoil" (Eg dying of old age) or not etc.

A good system with bad implement will make a bad game, it's a fact.

Also that's not an excuse for any of the gamer because it's a prequal so it will had lots less content than previous, gamers will just label you as lazy cash grabbed company and you are doomed. Every latter game must have improvement compared to previous game, it's also another fact.

IMHO Realism vs Fun is always a silly argument for a game because opinions vary highly (although can be fun in a kind of poke-your eyes out and stick your face in a fan kind of way)......

Some folks like the tedium of micro-managing. Some folks just want to swing an axe and bring down their enemies in one chop. Balance is hard to achieve and (as with any compromise) very few (if any) folks will be fully happy with the end result....

Currently, with the need to manage large armies, food not spoiling seems to be the way to go by default right now. Maybe include this as a option ? Or maybe someone will mod it in if the "official" bannerlord game it doesn't.

That's the true beauty of this game compared to so many others. It is very open to modding and the modding community is very top notch and dedicated.

Disclaimer: I am not a WB modder but have played many of the great mods for WB and enjoyed them very very much. I am sure those folks will do wonderful things with Bannerlord. Hell, I even am contemplating with getting back to C programming (which I left many, many, many moons ago ) so I can realize a few simple mods for myself.

Its going to be quite the ride for sure.........

Buying food from villages/Cities keeps the economy going for one and I had fun game in Warband without worrying about managing food. Automated food buying wtf ? man you are really lazy player if you needing to buy food for your army puts you off the game.

IMHO Realism vs Fun is always a silly argument for a game because opinions vary highly (although can be fun in a kind of poke-your eyes out and stick your face in a fan kind of way)......

Some folks like the tedium of micro-managing. Some folks just want to swing an axe and bring down their enemies in one chop. Balance is hard to achieve and (as with any compromise) very few (if any) folks will be fully happy with the end result....

Currently, with the need to manage large armies, food not spoiling seems to be the way to go by default right now. Maybe include this as a option ? Or maybe someone will mod it in if the "official" bannerlord game it doesn't.

That's the true beauty of this game compared to so many others. It is very open to modding and the modding community is very top notch and dedicated.

Disclaimer: I am not a WB modder but have played many of the great mods for WB and enjoyed them very very much. I am sure those folks will do wonderful things with Bannerlord. Hell, I even am contemplating with getting back to C programming (which I left many, many, many moons ago ) so I can realize a few simple mods for myself.

Its going to be quite the ride for sure.........

If only this is realism vs fun then I probably would not replying him ( cause i fully understand not everyone equal in education, mind development or even same IQ in this world. There will always have peoples who cannot understand complicated math, logic, knowledge or theories in this world), but it's realism vs chores so it's clearly very important to understand the different, especially if you hope to making a successful game.

Generally anything putting a time constraint into some content in game will make peoples rage, unless it's very very reasonable, then complaints might be (emphasize on MIGHT) a lots less. (But then why try to include a negligible content just to wasting time in first place?)

Just look at the marrying and snowballing issues, peoples always complaint if you put a lots time constraint into a game to make them have unnecessary trouble and tedious-some.

Food spoiling, Armor & weapon decay, the 2 things i hate so much in any games !

if they add that, i just hope there is a options to disable that.

There will be unhappy folk no matter what path they take though. One person's "chore" can be another person's "fun".

Personally, I think it would be a chore (like having to repair your weapons etc). But there are contingents of folks who would not agree with me. The best solution would make it optional (either default on or default off) and configurable. But that would also take away from time fixing the real problems (and all of these are not just bugs but fundamental design issues that need to be ironed out).

My vote is to leave it out and let the modders take such realism/chores on and let the devs take on the real problems the game needs to resolve ("forest for the trees" vs "trees for the forest").....

The time in Bannerlord goes much faster than in Warband, the food would go bad very fast. Even in Warband it was only eatable for 1 week? In Bannerlord this would be too short to be a usefull as a feature. You could make the food go bad slower, but fresh meat that is good for 2 month is not the thing we want in the game either, I guess.
You also have much more food and how the inventory is organized you would need different stacks of food for each type to display the freshness.

Having soldiers aged could be nice as a little gimick, but on the other hand you rarely stick around with them for a long time. You also would need to track the age and that could result in a lot of useless data the game has to keep up with.
The soldiers are just not im

We cannot rely on modders to do all the work. I'm also very excited for bigger and better mods for Bannerlord but i also want the MAIN GAME or the base game, whatever you call it, to be good. If i have to download 20 mods to make the game better, maybe those features needed to be in the base game at the start...

A realism VS fun discussion again? For me, realism is fun.

Track individual soldiers' ages, make them grow weaker and retire over time. Not that it will ever matter, given the lifespan of the average trooper in M&B.
Track each individual item's state, let it degrade over time and with use, and add new game mechanics around preserving food and repairing equipment.
Make it so that each soldier actually needs to get their equipment, so you either have to provide it for them or they need to be given enough money to go out and buy it.
Then recover the equipment of all slain soldiers after a battle (or your share, anyways) and cannibalize it to repair your own.

Overcomplicated, cumbersome, pointless, too much work? I don't care, I'd enjoy it.

I'm on team "fun" over realism for this one. It's not the kind of work I want to be doing by default. Maybe a good optional item.

Back
Top Bottom