Why doesn't blocking reward XP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sorry do you want xp for breathing too

Great question! No

I think getting exp for blocking the attack in the correct direction even with a shield as long as auto block is not selected would be much better.

Exactly, manually blocking takes skill to get good at and if the player has a Swordmaster type character blocking should be part of building the 1 or 2 hand skills. As of 1.03. two handed skill takes longer to level, my current character has 7 vigor and 5 focus points in two hand with a skill of 90 which is my primary weapon in battle. I have 3 focus points in 1 hand and only use it during tournament and my skill is like 170. So skill increases are trash anyways.

You're right, blocking should give xp. Would have liked it if there also was a skill tree dedicated to blocking and defensive perks.
That's the only valid reason I could see for gaining combat XP from blocking; if blocking/shields had their own trees and perks. They would also have to make shields ****tier than they are currently (too OP and too large hitbox) to make those skill/perk gains within it more impactful and meaningful.
Otherwise, combat XP is never really an issue as it's so easy to gain (mainly the focus cap is the hard limit), if it is for some reason, just up the XP gained from attacking; no need to add another separate round of XP calculations/checks for blocking certain directions.

The best thing would be a blocking/defense tree being added for armor bonuses, blocking bonuses, chambers, max health increases, and damage reduction %. It's more fantasy sure but whatever.

I do not see that happening so I do think the next best thing would be giving small bonuses to XP. Unless you dump all your FPs and APs into them it is still tedious. If someone wants to cheese leveling by blocking for hours on end let them do that.

Ideally you get a bonus (maybe set amount of +10-15%) for automatic blocking and then scale off of either block timing if it's a perfect block or not, or the speed of the swing that you blocked. I think regular shields should give XP to either a Polearm or One-handed but maybe 50-75% less than doing it one handed.

I mean for all intents and purposes, One Handed is basically the blocking skill tree; many OH perks affect things related to shields (+ a few in polearms iirc).

You get experience from hitting a shield, you should get experience from blocking. Maybe even bonus xp if you do a proper block by blocking in the right direction. Also couch lance attacks should give more xp than they do now, in early builds you would get some nice xp from a good couched lance attack, now you hardly get anything. You are better off just stabbing a shield for far more experience.

Really, just spamming the attack button is good? No I would rather have a balanced and well rounded experience where good timed and skillful blocks boost xp as well. Seems logical. Besides I can just spam attacks if I want to game the system.
You missunderstood my point. I'm a huge fan of Blocking and it is fun. It is art but i don't agree "i want for everything EP". Let me quote:

Blocking is not easy and it should not be easy. The reward of a good block is to meet death a little bit later. That should be reward enough.

I think there's also the technical challenge with how it's a toggle setting.
So, if I feel like it, I could arguably turn off that setting against one opponent, pause, turn it on, then get the/more exp on the next opponent (within the same battlefield)?
Not sure those apply with the attacks since the only setting is showing the arrow direction (or invert controls) which don't really impact the 'difficulty' of attacking as you could with blocking.

If gaining combat XP is an issue in this case, and why you need the added XP gained throuhg the blocking avenue (which is really quite easy for most and for those people, combat XP gain is trivial anyways), why not just boost XP gained by attacking/across the board?

Blocking is not easy and it should not be easy. The reward of a good block is to meet death a little bit later. That should be reward enough.

Exp isnt there just to reward the player or make them feel good. It's part of the game's internal logic and aids roleplay. If a player spends all their time blocking, their avatar should get better at blocking. The fact that it's more difficult and deliberate than spamming attacks should be more reason to make it an exp skill, not less.

Blocking isn't even that hard either, but a lot of players never use the mechanic in warband or bannerlord because its easier to spam attacks on the braindead AI. Giving some exp for blocking might indicate to players that blocking is the intended way to play, not some gigachad 420 noscope feature that only nerds use.

Exp isnt there just to reward the player or make them feel good. It's part of the game's internal logic and aids roleplay. If a player spends all their time blocking, their avatar should get better at blocking. The fact that it's more difficult and deliberate than spamming attacks should be more reason to make it an exp skill, not less.

Blocking isn't even that hard either, but a lot of players never use the mechanic in warband or bannerlord because its easier to spam attacks on the braindead AI. Giving some exp for blocking might indicate to players that blocking is the intended way to play, not some gigachad 420 noscope feature that only nerds use.
if you're rewarding XP for an action, then the player will expect that action to get stronger and more effective as he raisea his skill level. So how would you make high skilled blocking better than low skilled blocking?

Personally, I don't see the need for it. It already has a reward. Not dying.

Having blocking increase player health wouldn't be too crazy, especially compared with some of the other stuff in the game.

Personally, I don't see the need for it. It already has a reward. Not dying.

This isn't true though, you can very easipy play the entire campaign without ever blocking once, and most players never do. Even in 1v1 tournaments you typically just use shields. Even if you lose your horse and only have a 1h weapon against a bunch of enemies, the optimal way to beat them is to run away and cheese the hitboxes by slashing at a weird angle. Giving exp for blocking would be a way of discouraging the player from doing this.

Having blocking increase player health wouldn't be too crazy, especially compared with some of the other stuff in the game.
Their decision on how/where some perks work is already quite a mess with how it does/doesn't apply to the player/companions/nobles/units - I don't see how they can make it worthwhile (in a 'realistic' sense) without needing to reset/make another tree for it.
Shields have to be nerfed drastically to even make it worthwhile since shields are already OP in comparison to WB - axes don't 'work' like in WB, nor pilas, or throwing axes (useless weapon in BL) in the game sense of being 'shield-breakers'. Less HP, less coverage, more variety (all have practically the same speed/HP/hitbox/weight), stamina, timed parries, shield stun mechanics (for AI), etc...so the gains and rewards of getting 'good' at blocking is worth it.
Otherwise, just boost the XP modifier of the current system if gaining combat XP is an issue - no need to add another 'calculation/what ifs' factor for blocking.
This isn't true though, you can very easipy play the entire campaign without ever blocking once, and most players never do. Even in 1v1 tournaments you typically just use shields. Even if you lose your horse and only have a 1h weapon against a bunch of enemies, the optimal way to beat them is to run away and cheese the hitboxes by slashing at a weird angle. Giving exp for blocking would be a way of discouraging the player from doing this.
Even if you give XP for blocking against a bunch of enemies, it won't discourage the backpedaling as that's a completely different issue when it comes to n+ enemies.

i think they should first fix the combat. i agree that blocking without shield against fast weapons are very difficult, but on the other hand its insanely easy against slower weapons even on highest difficulty. there are a lot tournaments that feature very slow weapons (aserai long sables for instance) so you could go about blocking as much as you want in one match and gain skill or exp with zero consequences

at least for fixing the combat when it comes to this, ai should be less easy to manipulate. how you can block and hit with no obstacles, and with the ai eventually lowering their block for no reason and take the predictable incoming hit... they should be more mobile, dodging your attacks and retaliating with an already prepped attack, then i think blocking should grant exp, because then you dont just need to block predictable attacks, you also need to make a turn (ai is also insanely stupid when you do this against them)

reiksmarshal: "How about a perk the gives you + 20% damage for not having a shield? I usually run with a crossbow, voulge, and a mace so I don't have space for a shield in my load out."

i absolutely agree with this idea though, if its a perk added to one handed weapons only. i wish it was a common addition for every fighting game, perk or not. why am i expected to use a dagger and a shield, makes no sense. let me just wield the dagger and get a damage bonus for allegedly using it in a wieldy sneaky way, the way it was intended. you would also have more power in your swings when you get to use the force of both hands to hammer down a one handed mace into someones face

there is a game i know that makes use of it, and thats battle brothers. it makes very good sense in that game since shields are otherwise a nobrainer. having a dagger guy who can dig through armor and hurt them directly, makes sense to boost his damage as much as possible so he makes swift work of heavy armored opponents, sacrificing defenses

but i think first the devs of m&b really need to do something about the damage scale? like why am i able to damage so much at zero skill levels with a crappy weapon in the first place. if i tried to do the same in warband, unless i had a good speed bonus from riding against an opponent, i would always deliver 0 damage, with insane speed bonus i might be lucky to damage somewhere above 10. or you can at the very least put a hurt on some unarmored or civilian dressed troop. bannerlord is too cautious with making combat easy to learn and easy to master. it feels pointless to put full focus points into fighting skills unless you are eyeing for the perks alone for better leading. the damage boosts and attack speed/ranged accuracy quickly become an overkill. like my current playthrough i have just 3 focus points into polearm and i still slaughter enemies with up to 600 damage and can down any heavily armored troop in one hit. i also didnt spend that much points into riding. i dont recall having thrown that insane an amount of cash on a deadly weapon, just 2000-4000 ish. seems strange to me when there are weapons costing up to 60.000. now why would you buy them when a cheap weapon in comparison with only half maxed skill is enough

the way i understand it, putting all focus points into a skill should be because you dont want any situation where your damage is diminished, or you want to be lethal with the crappiest weapons possible, which would make more sense if they implement enemy looting your equipment. putting zero focus points into a skill is because you dont expect fighting with that weapon, ever, as it should do jack. i am winning tournaments using fighting skills i neglected, and i frankly hate it. then theres the middle road, get one or two points into a fighting skill, and let an expensive weapon take care of the rest

Last edited:
at least for fixing the combat when it comes to this, ai should be less easy to manipulate. how you can block and hit with no obstacles, and with the ai eventually lowering their block for no reason and take the predictable incoming hit... they should be more mobile, dodging your attacks and retaliating with an already prepped attack, then i think blocking should grant exp, because then you dont just need to block predictable attacks, you also need to make a turn (ai is also insanely stupid when you do this against them)
The only way to fix the combat further in this game is adding other options that both the player and AI can utilize; whether in 1v1 or against 3v1. Upping the stat numbers here or there doesn't change the fundamental issues with this type of combat in games.
Shield bashes/kicks sort of work in that element, but the AI need to have that tool too. Crouching...still really don't know what this does except that 'rare' dodge you can chance; among all the other player-only 'dodges' we use against thrust/downstroke attacks - or sometimes cheese along the walls. There's no stamina factor (akin to RBM posture) - though this one, can understand why it might not be well liked by a majority.
reiksmarshal: "How about a perk the gives you + 20% damage for not having a shield? I usually run with a crossbow, voulge, and a mace so I don't have space for a shield in my load out."

i absolutely agree with this idea though, if its a perk added to one handed weapons only.
afaik, there is one already 'duelist' or something? and I think another that boosts the swing speed that multiplies that too.

*sigh* yes!

What's my reward for breathing? Not dying? lol

Blocking is just like athletics/horse riding. If you could get exp for blocking you could in theory just farm the exp all the way to 330 one battle and if the reward did not dimished you could probably get to level 500, same with athletics/horse riding you could just make your character run around all day instead of fighting.

Only giving exp for attacking in a way makes it so that you have to continue fighting new opponents to get the skill. It would be cool to get exp for blocking but honestly I have no clue how you could implement that without it being exploited.

Already in tournaments I just let family/companion beat up fully armored 330 athletics character to level up their skills. They used to have it so if you blocked their hits they would still get exp so you could pick up all the tournament shields, let them break them all and then keep blocking until you got tired of it.

If anything I just wish they could let your companions join practice fights or have a way to make practice fights, I just want to be able to level companions easier without having to give them a super mod for exp boosts. The new formation thing in 1.10 helps a lot you can only send that group to fight bandits.

The only way to fix the combat further in this game is adding other options that both the player and AI can utilize; whether in 1v1 or against 3v1. Upping the stat numbers here or there doesn't change the fundamental issues with this type of combat in games.
Shield bashes/kicks sort of work in that element, but the AI need to have that tool too. Crouching...still really don't know what this does except that 'rare' dodge you can chance; among all the other player-only 'dodges' we use against thrust/downstroke attacks - or sometimes cheese along the walls. There's no stamina factor (akin to RBM posture) - though this one, can understand why it might not be well liked by a majority.

afaik, there is one already 'duelist' or something? and I think another that boosts the swing speed that multiplies that too.

i dont really think the ai needs more combat options although it would of course be welcome. first of all combat needs to have a real progressive line where no points in it actually makes you terrible. the player can beat a tournament with zero skills in combat, that already puts ai in a clear disadvantage. secondly, ai reactions are extremely poor even on highest difficulty, in some cases its entirely bugged how its delayed. if you have seen fast cavalry trying to take down a fleeing enemy on foot you know what i mean. or watching khuzait tournaments... the worst tournaments in the game when trying to level clan skills :mad:

it also used to be that in warband, if you tried to do hit and run on foot, at least in third person, the game would punish you for doing that and you most likely got hit. your character did not wheel according to how you turned your view, it took a while for them to make a turn and would continue to run the opposite direction you were looking for a second, so you could not slash an enemy, and dodge their attack right after. if it cant work the same in bannerlord, with too fast and far turning being slow both on first and third person, then the ai should also be able to run out of reach from your attacks or run in circles around you, so you have to be flexible with catching up to them or suffer if your athletics is too low. and if the ai prepares an attack before they turn around again, you have to do mirrored blocking which could be an interesting challenge, like seeing their weapon in one direction but having to block the opposite direction, at least without shield

its kind of similar to elder scrolls oblivion even though that games combat was pretty dumb overall. but the ai with high athletics could circle around you so fast it was impossible to keep up, which was pretty challenging and encouraged you to move away instead of trying to spam attacks

yeah.. i kept in mind that duelist was actually a perk, but somehow forgot about it answering that post... i think in my mind i didnt even want it to be a perk, but a natural bonus regardless of skill. but i think it still works as it is. i dont think the game will ever encourage me to use daggers in the first place though, i keep that as a novelty for roguish companions using throwing knives too. smithing daggers gotta have some use

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom