Why doesn't blocking reward XP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Why doesn't blocking award xp?

Blocking without a shield can be a challenge and is very satisfying when it does go well. I have been working on a sword master type build and have blocked 100's if not 1000s of blocks and it should seriously reward xp. If blocking with a one hander it should boost One handed skill or whatever the type of weapon class you are blocking with. The experience system only rewards spam hitting which kind of is bland specially after playing a game like Kingdom Come Deliverance where blocking rewards xp.

What do you guys think, should blocking boost the skill as well?

I don't know why anybody would use a sword without a shield, but yeah, Blocking with polearms, axes and maces should reward exp.
It's very difficult but satisfying to pull off. Especially if the enemy faints an attack to do another attack.

I don't know why anybody would use a sword without a shield, but yeah, Blocking with polearms, axes and maces should reward exp.
It's very difficult but satisfying to pull off. Especially if the enemy faints an attack to do another attack.
Roleplaying and/or to have more arrows.

XP is so easy to get for anything, I think TW has other things to focus on.

So I can have a polearm, bow/arrow, and a 1-h for close range (until they add something like automatic loadouts for field/siege battles) and fact quite a few perks favor that build. Or just RP reasons, weight handicap, roll a dice to see what weapons/skills one gets to use that lifetime, challenge of using throwing axes only, etc...

Blocking after playing a few hours gets very easy eventually, particularly since even the random AI parry windows are even tighter than WB.

If anything, it's probably just because they didn't think about it to add in, but also, can see how it can really favor against spears more so than anything else. And that it also really only applicable for tournaments since the biggest challenge in battles is just that 3v1 factor issue which is exactly the same issue from WB (ie backpedaling).

Well you can have automatic blocking which just makes it too easy, so I doubt you should get experience for it

Blocking without a shield for me is the most difficult and annoying task in M+B/BL. I can defeat a top tier soldier in the best armor (with RBM mod without tournament module) in the arena unarmored relatively soon if I have a shield, but without it I'm in dire straits. So blocking with weapons surely should generate lots of xp. If one wouldn't want to benefit automatic blocking, it could be exempted from the xp. Blocking with a shield should only give xp if it was a perfect directional block.

Blocking without a shield for me is the most difficult and annoying task in M+B/BL. I can defeat a top tier soldier in the best armor (with RBM mod without tournament module) in the arena unarmored relatively soon if I have a shield, but without it I'm in dire straits. So blocking with weapons surely should generate lots of xp. If one wouldn't want to benefit automatic blocking, it could be exempted from the xp. Blocking with a shield should only give xp if it was a perfect directional block.
TBF, even if it was difficult without a shield, it can get out of hand very quickly for a player to abuse that mechanic. Blocking in this game isn't like other games where it has it's own subset of skills or mitigation/reduction scaling or stamina costs (vs some basic perk bonuses), it's either you can block or you can't.
So to have one gain XP once one can block means they can just farm it indefinitely in tournaments very easily - as it's a simple 'past the hump' hurdle.
Combat skill XP gains are already very quick and instead of needing another set of calculations for blocking (ie massive battles with multiple lords/companions), better to just up the XP gain from the current measures.

Or by buying low and selling high.
And giving your homies a well-balanced diet. And making people like you more. And metalurgy. :razz:

I'm guessing blocking doesn't award XP because there's not a lot to it outside of player skill when blocking without a shield. I can't say it'd matter to me if parrying suddenly granted a little bit of XP or not since it'd probably be a drop in the bucket if it did and forgettable if it were to continue not doing so. As far as I know, weapon type XP gain is proportional to damage dealt, so the biggest gains from... hurting people in Calradia, quite painfully.

Yes, and this is good!
Really, just spamming the attack button is good? No I would rather have a balanced and well rounded experience where good timed and skillful blocks boost xp as well. Seems logical. Besides I can just spam attacks if I want to game the system.

Well you can have automatic blocking which just makes it too easy, so I doubt you should get experience for it

I haven't used auto block in 10 years, would never go back.

How about a perk the gives you + 20% damage for not having a shield? I usually run with a crossbow, voulge, and a mace so I don't have space for a shield in my load out.

I think getting exp for blocking the attack in the correct direction even with a shield as long as auto block is not selected would be much better.

Back
Top Bottom