Why doesn't blocking reward XP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Why doesn't the AI kick and shieldbash anyway? Didn't they used to do it when the EA first launched before they dumbed it down because the combat was too hard for new players? Can't they enable it for the harder difficulties?
I don't think AI ever did that, but I could be wrong. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if enabling the AI to do kicks and bashes makes fighting them easier by giving the player an opening to strike.

The point of kicks is to punish excessive blocking, I haven't tested it in bannerlord but in warband landing a kick on a block gave you like half a second of stagger over the blocker. If the AI did this properly the kicks wouldn't be an opportunity for the player because they would be staggered by the kick for longer than the kick animation.

The point of kicks is to punish excessive blocking, I haven't tested it in bannerlord but in warband landing a kick on a block gave you like half a second of stagger over the blocker. If the AI did this properly the kicks wouldn't be an opportunity for the player because they would be staggered by the kick for longer than the kick animation.
i like the idea of kicks punishing blocks. i just wish ai also knew how to punish hit and runs on foot (itching to do it as a two-handed athletic battanian vs many footmen), or use the same filthy tactic against the player :cool: and while they are at it they can make cavalry more consistent with hitting, calculating their own speed, so footmen dont suddenly have an obvious advantage in combat. as it is now, fast cavalry is only good against chasing down other cavalry, nothing else. they are too stupid for everything else

also dont understand why foot archers and foot skirmishers do just fine calculating where the enemy will be at when the shot reaches them, but horse archers and horse skirmishers dont. cant really be faulted on not calculating their own movement, or can it? otherwise they just completely ignore the movement of their opponent. im thinking in terms of khuzait tourneys - ive had khuzait tourney matches (single rounds) take up to 5 mins to complete, where on average other matches take 30-60 sec. there are so many problems with the ai combat that keeps me awake at night

Last edited:
i dont really think the ai needs more combat options although it would of course be welcome. first of all combat needs to have a real progressive line where no points in it actually makes you terrible. the player can beat a tournament with zero skills in combat, that already puts ai in a clear disadvantage. secondly, ai reactions are extremely poor even on highest difficulty, in some cases its entirely bugged how its delayed. if you have seen fast cavalry trying to take down a fleeing enemy on foot you know what i mean. or watching khuzait tournaments... the worst tournaments in the game when trying to level clan skills :mad:
I think that is a way more complicated problem that was sort of evident early on with those high skilled warriors/lords being actually challenging to face in tournament 1v1s (especially Battanians). I think it was dumbed down because there was quite a larger majority saying it was too hard or whatever; recently sort of middled out.

Cavalry, have to give them credit on the fixes to date with targeting - they are much better and a lot of the 'leading target' issues is probably a very hard thing to implement and manage with 1000v1000 battles potentially. Not sure if you see those DIY youtube vids of people trying to do auto-aiming basketballs or flying thor's hammer, etc...but I can understand that it is a very complicated calculation.

AI has 4 attacks, adding block/kick turns that into 6 - with 2 of those being 'different' from just counter blocking the directionals.
its kind of similar to elder scrolls oblivion even though that games combat was pretty dumb overall. but the ai with high athletics could circle around you so fast it was impossible to keep up, which was pretty challenging and encouraged you to move away instead of trying to spam attacks
That would work in smaller 1v1, 2v2, etc...fights - but to have it apply with potential 500v500, the backpedaling issue that is persistent in WB and BL will just become worse since the AI only does the straight beeline to attack you/target.

I think that is a way more complicated problem that was sort of evident early on with those high skilled warriors/lords being actually challenging to face in tournament 1v1s (especially Battanians). I think it was dumbed down because there was quite a larger majority saying it was too hard or whatever; recently sort of middled out.

Find this irksome. Too hard? Theyre Lords and not supposed to be easily dispatched Day 1 of the game by a green player. i just dont get these types of gamers -dont you want to develop a skillset even over years to best the best? I wish the enemy AI did more, Duck, Evade, Push, Bash, Charge, Warcry and generally the highest level of aggression or cold duelist mentality possible. What makes fighting fun.

I don't know how the current AI decides on their attacks, it just seems to be an RNG between the 4 options - adding the kick and shield bash/punch into mix (which you can't really block/dodge), even at a smaller chance ~10% or something would make combat much more interesting.
That perk for shield bash can actually be meaningful across the board - as it stands, only applicable to the player; yet is in the 'global' skill/perk tree shared with units/AI/companions.
Animation/timings can always be tweaked easily in testing.
also dont understand why foot archers and foot skirmishers do just fine calculating where the enemy will be at when the shot reaches them, but horse archers and horse skirmishers dont. cant really be faulted on not calculating their own movement, or can it? otherwise they just completely ignore the movement of their opponent. im thinking in terms of khuzait tourneys - ive had khuzait tourney matches (single rounds) take up to 5 mins to complete, where on average other matches take 30-60 sec. there are so many problems with the ai combat that keeps me awake at night
They don't, foot range also sucks (you can force them to run out just circling them on a quick enough horse), they just don't have to deal with their own movement calculation; which the HAs do. How TW fixes those calculation tweaks, is a challenging thing for sure.

Find this irksome. Too hard? Theyre Lords and not supposed to be easily dispatched Day 1 of the game by a green player. i just dont get these types of gamers -dont you want to develop a skillset even over years to best the best? I wish the enemy AI did more, Duck, Evade, Push, Bash, Charge, Warcry and generally the highest level of aggression or cold duelist mentality possible. What makes fighting fun.
I don't play on console, but most likely assume it had to do with that and the 'slowness' of controllers.
As of now, I can just join a tournament at the start and get easy money/skills since even just holding your attack an extra millisecond or so tricks the AI, regardless their skill. And I think that's deliberate decision from TW; RBM mod seems to make that timing quicker so the AI block a lot more (hence needing the posture system too 'balance' that for that mod).

This is true, but kicks and bashes themselves are very punishable, which I think would result in the fighting the AI becoming easier (but more interesting as well).

yeah what the hell? i was also wondering if i was just really rusty when i played the game when it came out, i remember it being somewhat difficult, and tourneys posing a real challenge (also remember khuzait darkhan was ridiculously well armored but i assumed it was intentional, that got nerfed) and now my lvl 1 characters beat every tourney available and is always on the top of the leaderboard in their 30s, no matter how many points i invested in fighting, if none at all

they added a difficulty option... the highest difficulty should always pose a challenge to those well into the game, that should be the whole point of having the options. but thats just not how it works. i bought the game to one of my friends and watched his stream, and i frankly just told him to put the difficulty to highest because it would not matter. after getting used to the combat he did well and won tournaments and beat a fair amount of looters without any troops, he probably forgot it was on highest difficulty at that point

Why doesn't blocking award xp?

Blocking without a shield can be a challenge and is very satisfying when it does go well. I have been working on a sword master type build and have blocked 100's if not 1000s of blocks and it should seriously reward xp. If blocking with a one hander it should boost One handed skill or whatever the type of weapon class you are blocking with. The experience system only rewards spam hitting which kind of is bland specially after playing a game like Kingdom Come Deliverance where blocking rewards xp.

What do you guys think, should blocking boost the skill as well?
It does (if you play mods).

yeah what the hell? i was also wondering if i was just really rusty when i played the game when it came out, i remember it being somewhat difficult, and tourneys posing a real challenge (also remember khuzait darkhan was ridiculously well armored but i assumed it was intentional, that got nerfed)
Because back when the game first came out, tourny weapons dealt cut damage (primarily) so armor counted for a lot. Most hits would barely do damage and there was a fair chance that the AI wouldn't be staggered at all, so they could hit you as if you hadn't landed a strike at all. At some point, that got changed to blunt damage across the board, which does decently well against armor.

Back
Top Bottom