Why does the AI deposit high value prisoners to nearest town by battle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Does the AI have no need of the $ involved? They should simply go to the tavern and sell them instead of depositing them in the dungeon. Unless they think keeping prisoners stops a war? (It doesn't). They miss out on dough.

Does the AI have no need of the $ involved?
No they don't need money, game gives them money and food when they have below an amount. They can be bankrupt by pay time every day and nothing happens.

Unless they think keeping prisoners stops a war?
They do. They will put them in your towns too and you'll get the ransoms and unlike them you know how to spend it!

Last edited:
Oh. If we have enough prisoners can THAT grind the war to a halt eventually? I mean it would really suck if economy plays no part in wars. Economy of leaders at least?

Oh. If we have enough prisoners can THAT grind the war to a halt eventually? I mean it would really suck if economy plays no part in wars. Economy of leaders at least?
Maybe, kinda, sorta...... it's kinda hard to tell because the things that make YOUR side want peace play a big role in it too, As far as conquest, it gets hard to keep them all in prison for very long as they ransom themselves out or escape as you round up the b-list lords that make parties once the main ones are caught. There's a lot more lords available then you would guess.
Also, needing money and loosing fiefs actual makes them calculate to want war more.
IMO only just beating down every enemy party relentlessly really effects anything. Their money, raided villages and prisoners do have some effect, it's just so small that it's not worth your time. The time to say raid a village could be spent taking out many parties and that's just much better.

Nope they get cheats so they never run out of money. It's why you can beat the same lord over and over and over again and it seems as though they are fairly unaffected. They just have to level troops back up. They don't even need to find horses to level up cavalry (AI can auto level without the horses you need to do the same leveling)

The only way to cool down the waves of enemy lords is chop their heads, but it causes other problems.

Does the AI have no need of the $ involved? They should simply go to the tavern and sell them instead of depositing them in the dungeon. Unless they think keeping prisoners stops a war? (It doesn't). They miss out on dough.

Yes we saw this problem last week too and noted it. They need money as player do. It is better to sell them instead of adding them to prison roster of town. There are no money cheats in game npc lords get. Sometimes some clans go bankrupt and they cannot give wages to their garrisons or parties and these garrisons / parties lose men constantly, it is very rare but even sometimes some lords cannot buy food and they starve.

@AnandaShanti game does not give lords free food or money. You play this game since first day. You know this.

Yes we saw this problem last week too and noted it. They need money as player do. It is better to sell them instead of adding them to prison roster of town. There are no money cheats in game npc lords get. Sometimes some clans go bankrupt and they cannot give wages to their garrisons or parties and these garrisons / parties lose men constantly, it is very rare but even sometimes some lords cannot buy food and they starve.

@AnandaShanti game does not give lords free food or money. You play this game since first day. You know this.

Well, the way these players stated it, it seemed like the AI lords just do whatever they want? So it's possible to wage economic warfare on the enemy? That is heartening to hear!

They doing you a disservice by spreading lies if they were. Sorry on their behalf.

ALSO: I notice when my guys get captured *I* pay the ransom. Does the AI clan pay the ransom when I sell them back their people? Or does that money come out of thin air?

I apologize if I was told wrong too

Is it true then that the AI don't have to find or buy horses for troop level ups or is that false too?

I apologize if I was told wrong too

Is it true then that the AI don't have to find or buy horses for troop level ups or is that false too?
Yes this is one of cheats currently AI is doing. There are so less cheats AI is doing currently. They get 1 extra slot while recruiting men from notables and they do not need horses to upgrade troops. They also get daily small xp for their troops. After they die they respawn with several (10-15) initial troops near them. These are 4 important cheats remined at game. However npc lord parties do not get food or money from air.

Yes this is one of cheats currently AI is doing. There are so less cheats AI is doing currently. They get 1 extra slot while recruiting men from notables and they do not need horses to upgrade troops. They also get daily small xp for their troops. These are 3 important cheats remined at game. However ai do not get food or money from air.
Good to hear I was wrong about the food and money, I apologize for spreading what I read elsewhere before verifying it

I've been very cynical of TW but I think you're fantastic and appreciate you actually replying to people. They're really missing out with you leaving and I'm sure you're going to have a very promising career ahead of you

Sometimes some clans go bankrupt and they cannot give wages to their garrisons or parties and these garrisons / parties lose men constantly, it is very rare but even sometimes some lords cannot buy food and they starve.
In what patch was this changed? I've witnessed directly and reported that in fact not paying wages does not cause garrison units to disband. The parties will disband as moral becomes very low and now with moral changes it is more likely from not paying... however I don't see it happen. I assumed they got their safety net pay to keep them from doing so, but if you say they don't hmmmm.

Perhaps it was a miscommunication, but I'm sure I read (in the past) a dev say they do if they have below a certain amount.
Indeed all I can find is:

"Today I remembered something. One addition to why 1.5.7 results are not better than 1.5.6 results is there was a AI cheat at finance codes even player is using this code was giving (clan tier x 100) denars to all clan leaders if that clan has no settlement, also code was giving (clan tier x 50) denars to all clan leaders if that clan has only one castle. I removed this at 1.5.7 because it was giving money from nowhere this was not connected to kingdom budget and I want to get rid of it. After we implement kingdom budget we should use this variable only. So this made things harder for weakened factions. But keeping this cheat was not a right thing. We should apply better solutions mentioned above."

Spoiler: Removed AI money cheat at 1.5.7, left for only mercenaries

^and other related things to that, which seem to have been lessened or removed. I don't know if it was somebody else or if I just misinterpreted that.

Also:
"Also about bankrupt problem : we reduced percentage of lords going into bankrupt with additional patches to 1.3 and we will add a secondary mechanism for lords to not to pay wages if they are below a money limit so they can continue buying food and they will only suffer morale penalty and their troops will desert not be wounded."

^I concede these are old and perhaps not as generous as I had thought.

It just doesn't make sense though, surely with out free money and food a fief-less faction with it's parties being repeatedly defeated would stop being able to function in the field, not be able to pay ransoms and be beaten by bandits forever. But they in fact remain perpetually doing hostile things with no fail state, never being truly broken and not being forced to leave the player alone and pursue money to re-build.

Last edited:
In what patch was this changed? I've witnessed directly and reported that in fact not paying wages does not cause garrison units to disband. The parties will disband as moral becomes very low and now with moral changes it is more likely from not paying... however I don't see it happen. I assumed they got their safety net pay to keep them from doing so, but if you say they don't hmmmm.

Perhaps it was a miscommunication, but I'm sure I read (in the past) a dev say they do if they have below a certain amount.
Indeed all I can find is:

"Today I remembered something. One addition to why 1.5.7 results are not better than 1.5.6 results is there was a AI cheat at finance codes even player is using this code was giving (clan tier x 100) denars to all clan leaders if that clan has no settlement, also code was giving (clan tier x 50) denars to all clan leaders if that clan has only one castle. I removed this at 1.5.7 because it was giving money from nowhere this was not connected to kingdom budget and I want to get rid of it. After we implement kingdom budget we should use this variable only. So this made things harder for weakened factions. But keeping this cheat was not a right thing. We should apply better solutions mentioned above."

Spoiler: Removed AI money cheat at 1.5.7, left for only mercenaries

^and other related things to that, which seem to have been lessened or removed. I don't know if it was somebody else or if I just misinterpreted that.

It just doesn't make sense though, surely with out free money and food a fief-less faction with it's parties being repeatedly defeated would stop being able to function in the field, not be able to pay ransoms and be beaten by bandits forever. But they in fact remain perpetually doing hostile things with no fail state, never being truly broken and not being forced to leave the player alone and pursue money to re-build.

There is a kingdom budget feature which can help poor clans in a kingdom. If a clan's leader's money go below 30K they get help from kingdom budget. However this budget can easily be depleted if several clans get use of it for about 1-2 years. Kingdom budget is created by payment from rich clans in same kingdom. Currently player is not getting help from this feature or player is not also paying to kingdom budget if he is rich. We can add player to this system also. I see no big risk for gameplay to add player to this system also. Only downside will be player is usually richest guy in kingdom and he will have to pay to kingdom budget daily if he has more denars than 100K (1% of exceed money, for 1M this is 9K daily, maybe we can do this 0.5% for player otherwise so much). This can be frustrated for player, so rich players will not want to join kingdoms. Also if we add player to this system he can maybe abuse this kingdom budget help (daily 1K) with spending all money to buying expensive equipments to hold his gold below 30K. This can create problem. Maybe we can count all equipments he has in inventory and if total value of equipments player has pass 30K he cannot get help from kingdom budget. So we can add player to this system if we can get rid of abuses.

Also if we show this kingdom budget value somewhere in diplomacy tab this can be good information for player to follow how things are going on world.

Also additional information at 1.5.10 tests we are doing we see this kingdom budget is usually below 1M for each kingdom. Usually clan leaders have less than 100K so they do not pay kingdom budget much shares, if a clan has lots of fiefs in a kingdom its clan leader's money can go up 100K. To hurt a kingdom economically raids are so important. Do raids more.

Last edited:
There is a kingdom budget feature which can help poor clans in a kingdom. If a clan's leader's money go below 30K they get help from kingdom budget. However this budget can easily be depleted if several clans get use of it for about 1-2 years. Kingdom budget is created by payment from rich clans in same kingdom. Currently player is not getting help from this feature or player is not also paying to kingdom budget if he is rich. We can add player to this system also. I see no big risk for gameplay to add player to this system also. Only downside will be player is usually richest guy in kingdom and he will have to pay to kingdom budget daily if he has more denars than 100K (0.5% of exceed money). This can be frustrated for player. Also if we add player to this system he can maybe abuse this kingdom budget help (daily 1K) with spending all money to buying expensive equipments to hold his gold below 30K. This can create problem. Maybe we can count all equipments he has in inventory and if total value of equipments player has pass 30K he cannot get help from kingdom budget. So we can add player to this system if we can get rid of abuses.

Also if we show this kingdom budget value somewhere in diplomacy tab this can be good information for player to follow how things are going on world.
Thank you for clearing it up! I personally think the money side of Bannerlord is easy to manage. The only thing I have trouble with is in fact the many small parties that will relentlessly try to raid my fiefs. I can stop any army in it's tracks but I cannot be in multiple places at once to stop many small parties.
I can circumvent this by allowing a certain amount of raids while I blitz to take several fiefs and then make peace to recover before loyalty/food issues arise. Of course I can only do this as a single clan minor faction. As a ruler or vassal you will never have breaks when you need them.

Indeed. I bank roll my entire faction. These ai are parasites

Back
Top Bottom