Why Does The AI Declare War When Already At War?

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't understand. I am a mercenary under the southern empires and I see them in 3 wars and they declare another war against the western empire when already in 3 other wars. If they're even in one war, why would they seek to start another one while that one is happening?

Its a known problem and the devs are trying different things to improve it. If I'm not mistaken, I think the next big patch was delayed to next week because this issue is still giving them problems.

Getting the distinct impression TW had too many people on just the new engine and not enough figuring out the Kingdom Maths over the past 8 years..

Getting the distinct impression TW had too many people on just the new engine and not enough figuring out the Kingdom Maths over the past 8 years..
It certainly feels that way. A lot of the big game systems feel like they were hastily implemented right before launch without any time to tune them properly. I'd actually be relieved if that was the case. It would be very depressing if these broken systems have been in place for years and the devs thought they were working great all this time.

War declarations are still completely random. There is no strategic AI making any kind of rational decisions. There really needs to be such an AI.

Until there is such an AI, the ability of the kingdoms to declare additional wars need to be significantly curtailed.

small (insufficient) garrisons provoke multiple wars. AI have some chance to declare a war. Whatever you do, if you have incompleted garrison, you will end in war with all possible countries. sooner or later

I don't understand. I am a mercenary under the southern empires and I see them in 3 wars and they declare another war against the western empire when already in 3 other wars. If they're even in one war, why would they seek to start another one while that one is happening?

Because it is random. Just go back to a previous autosave and it probably won't happen.

Eh... I can forgive them because the campaign layer requires a lot of moving pieces to come together before you can get an idea of what is and isn't broken. Otherwise, it would be like you're be trying to judge a car's performance while some big industrial robot is still wielding the frame together.

With the hotfix this got a bit better. In my empire campaign we used to be at war with 4+ kingdoms all the time. Now, we will actually declare peace from time to time and not have as many wars going simultaneously. That's not to say that the AI is smart about who they declare war with and when. I managed to get peace with the Vlandians after making a decent defensive paremeter so that we could focus on the Battanians. After conquering and re-conquering the same areas a couple times, I ground the Battanians into a fine powder. As that's wrapping up, our empire (the West) declared war on the Kuzaits, who we had left alone all game and was unchecked. Who else do we declare on? The Vlandians and the Southern empire, of course! We went front a one front war to a three-front war. Why?

I'm really looking forward to some kind of rational war declarations, preferably where the game explains why the vote was called. For example: "to defend our ally the Southern Empire we must attack the Kuzaits!" It would certainly be less random.

Back
Top Bottom