Why does AI always focus ME@$!@$

Users who are viewing this thread

gaffa79

Recruit
Got given a castle early on.

had 580 defenders in there, and Southern Empire declare and send 2.2k men at me.
Frustrating how they only target me, when there are other castles/cities with less defense.

GG prisoner again

It's a sign of respect. The Southern Empire knows who the baddest hombre in Calradia is, and they are careful to take you down first. After that, they can mop up the other fools. Is that not a good strategy? :smile:

It may seem like there's code somewhere for the switch SCREW_OVER_THE_PLAYER which is active by default, but... probably not.

It's a sign of respect. The Southern Empire knows who the baddest hombre in Calradia is, and they are careful to take you down first. After that, they can mop up the other fools. Is that not a good strategy? :smile:

It may seem like there's code somewhere for the switch SCREW_OVER_THE_PLAYER which is active by default, but... probably not.
lol
I think it's the code :smile:

If you're not a Vassal or Kingdom but just a Clan and take a town they don't do this, only the faction you took it from will attack you and you can can buy piece with them. I feel like it must be an oversite or maybe it's on purpose to facilitate the main quest where you must have property and travel to talk to the NPC after. It can be grossly abused though if you don't mind being all alone and unable to create armies with companion parties..... which is find because AI isn't very helpful.

What I love is when my faction is at war with two other factions and I decide to siege something. The faction I'm sieging never sends an army to defend, but the other faction does.

The AI definitely does things to target the player, and did so in Warband and original M&B as well. For example, there's always one enemy NPC on the battlefield who is actively targeting the player in every battle, and if killed, another takes over the task. I've seen the last enemy archer or skirmisher surrounded by enemies in melee, but STILL trying to shoot the player who is nowhere near him. It's not that every enemy NPC is actively targeting the player, but it's become painfully obvious in each game that ONE will do so. When the enemy is down to the last one or two men, and they're far across the map from you with your other soldiers chasing them, it's annoying to hear arrows or javelins landing nearby, because YOU are still the primary target. In original M&B, line of sight didn't matter, they'd target you even on the other side of a hill (it's frustrating to be hit by thrown weapons or arrows without ever even seeing the enemy), but that mostly ended with Warband (they could still fire through tree foliage that blocks line of sight, but not through the trunks or over hills).

I've also seen the AI go WAY out of its way to raid the player's village first, even though it's on the opposite side of the faction's area from the enemy, with them passing by several other villages to reach it. As pointed out, they'll also send an army to retake a player's castle that's far better defended than other NPC-owned castles that are actually closer to the enemy territory, at least one of which was taken from that faction earlier. Again, I suspect that the game always pits one enemy against the player, who will go out of his way to raid or siege the player's personal property. It does tend to get annoying when you've destroyed a lord's army for the fifth time, but he keeps coming back and doing it again because you're his assigned target. Turn away for a moment, and he's back again for the 6th time, sieging your castle or raiding your village.

The AI definitely does things to target the player, and did so in Warband and original M&B as well.

From what I've seen in the Warband code there is no exception for the player getting raided or targeted more. All the stuff which makes it feel like you're getting targeted is implicit stuff, for instance the AI will always give you the crappiest frontier village first, and thus it always gets raided first. Or since the player is so proactive compared to the AI they make a lot of enemies. On top of that, getting raided doesn't really affect the AI so the player always notices it more.

I had always thought the AI had omni vision and could tell that my towns had 0 garrison while other towns in my kingdom have much more defenses. kept getting the Aserai and Western Empire sending thousand man army every week attacking my poor town of Ortysia ( of course the location makes me a target also).
I was fed up with the constant BS and being a guard dog for Derthert. So i garrisoned my own troops, rallied all the army of Vlandia had at the time. took down Jalmarys. fought against Gario's main force and won. (now the Vlandian military is spent while none of my men are lost). then promptly voted to declare war on everyone possible (to spend my influence up instead of wasting it, i even voted against my own proposition of war so i get relation points with people against it). and quit the Kingdom of Vlandia.
now i"m only at war with Vlandia which i bought peace with. they are at war with 4 Kingdoms so ain't got time to deal with me anyways. my neighors the Aserai and Western empire are all neutral with me but at war with Vlandia. finally, life is good... for me, not Derthert. my betrayal crippled Vlandia for good (later i got Aldric and Ospir to defect and become my vassels, Calatild is on her way as well)

Same here. Constantly having war with at least 3 factions if I choose independent. If I make peace with one then another faction will declare war on me.
what i noticed is that declaration of war can be averted via loading a save. for example you just made a safe, and 2 min later western empire declares war on you, you can load that save from 2 min ago and with high probability western empire won't declear war on you so soon this time.
they still might eventually do it again, but you've averted some bloodshed for the moment. honestly if you aren't saving this game every 5 min. start making the habit of doing so because of the frequent crashes and bugs if nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom