Why do you hate captain mode and just make content for your walmart version of mordhau (skirmish)

Users who are viewing this thread

MonkeyTazer

Recruit
Captain mode was just as populated, if not more, than skirmish in the first month or two. You continuously rain content and balance patches onto an already saturated game mode genre (skirmish), there are so many games out there that do skirmish mode better than you guys do. Then you come up with this totally unique and amazing game mode that nobody else has, captain mode, and you just kick it to the gutter straight from launch for reasons???

It has been about half a year and you have provided nothing to captain mode, other than taking away a map and creating a "balance" patch for skirmish that also applies to captain and made captain mode a ghost town. You made archers and throwables and lances complete garbage in the hands of AI, now there is absolutely no counter play at all to straight shock troop meta. If you play anything outside of the infantry ball you will lose 100% of the time no matter what factions are playing. It made a dying game mode completely dead in one fell swoop. All the clans in captains league have quit, there will not be another league or tournament because we are all finally bored of playing the same maps, with the same meta (infantry only), and doing the same **** since launch.

As soon as someone makes their own captain mode genre game, and actually put time and effort into it, you will lose your whole captain population immediately. What is left of it anyway... if anything.

The whole combat balancing wasnt done specifically for skirmish, but just general improvement to combat, it broke some things for captain in the process like the aiming timings for the bots. I can understand you are mad about missing content, and the way balancing classes works, but combat shouldnt be balanced by looking at how bots fight each other.

Not gonna lie I put more games in Captain then skirmish. I just want Gear sets and Persistent World. Captain mode Siege could be neat.

All the clans in captains league have quit, there will not be another league or tournament because we are all finally bored of playing the same maps, with the same meta (infantry only), and doing the same **** since launch.
Um no? Almost all the clans in the captain's league are still active - mine is one of them (we're mainly a skirmish clan but we do captain as well for fun). The only reason you haven't seen a lot of activity lately is that all the tournaments recently have been draft based instead of clan-based.

The main reason Bannerlord clans are struggling to stay up is that it's extremely hard to grow past a small team because you are limited to a squad of six for the competitive game modes. If we had custom servers from day 1 I'm sure you would see massive clans for all game modes as more players could be included in matches, just like there was in warband.

Something doesn't feel right about how Captains players always pick on Skirmish for comparison. I often feel like TW deliberately excluded Battle so it wouldn't steal attention away from Captains, and gave Skirmish as mere pittance for players who enjoy pure PvP. What counts for a "Duel mode" also feels like pittance. I'm pretty sure most of the Skirmish players would rather be playing Battle, and are still holding out for its inclusion at some point in the future.

This isn't a Walmart version of Mordhau: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/top-10-plays.431268/

It's as if TW tried splitting Battle into two modes, with Captains mostly about the strategic element, while Skirmish is more about combat skill. I'm intrigued by the possibilities for Captains mode with new map designs, but I'd rather see it and Skirmish as welcome additions to the game, rather than a replacement for Battle, which many of us cherished greatly and wanted to enjoy in Bannerlord at launch.

If you enjoy Captains, you should be thankful they developed it at all, and focused on it so much in the lead up to EA, despite that its impact has alienated and annoyed so much of the MP community coming from Warband, and its popularity has been nothing special in the few months after release (not just now). They even let it affect Siege, which they know is their most popular mode.

Anyway, they said the next update will be focused on Captains mode. I reckon it should have been developed exclusively as its own thing for DLC. Not only would that give the mode itself a stronger chance to be better (and it probably would have ended up no less popular than it is now), but TW could have then focused on re-establishing the core appeal from Warband for a better, more satisfying MP scene overall.

Captains brought with it the new class system, which the developers say has to be global across all game modes, so equipment selection is gimped in MP. This in turn is another reason why Battle probably isn't included, since the class system doesn't suit the mode. I'm also concerned that Captains is responsible for the disappointing combat, since the changes to archery mechanics have apparently affected how bots operate. Imagine that? They're developing the game mechanics based on how those dumb bots work.

Something doesn't feel right about how Captains players always pick on Skirmish for comparison. I often feel like TW deliberately excluded Battle so it wouldn't steal attention away from Captains, and gave Skirmish as mere pittance for players who enjoy pure PvP. What counts for a "Duel mode" also feels like pittance. I'm pretty sure most of the Skirmish players would rather be playing Battle, and are still holding out for its inclusion at some point in the future.

This isn't a Walmart version of Mordhau: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/top-10-plays.431268/

It's as if TW tried splitting Battle into two modes, with Captains mostly about the strategic element, while Skirmish is more about combat skill. I'm intrigued by the possibilities for Captains mode with new map designs, but I'd rather see it and Skirmish as welcome additions to the game, rather than a replacement for Battle, which many of us cherished greatly and wanted to enjoy in Bannerlord at launch.

If you enjoy Captains, you should be thankful they developed it at all, and focused on it so much in the lead up to EA, despite that its impact has alienated and annoyed so much of the MP community coming from Warband, and its popularity has been nothing special in the few months after release (not just now). They even let it affect Siege, which they know is their most popular mode.

Anyway, they said the next update will be focused on Captains mode. I reckon it should have been developed exclusively as its own thing for DLC. Not only would that give the mode itself a stronger chance to be better (and it probably would have ended up no less popular than it is now), but TW could have then focused on re-establishing the core appeal from Warband for a better, more satisfying MP scene overall.

Captains brought with it the new class system, which the developers say has to be global across all game modes, so equipment selection is gimped in MP. This in turn is another reason why Battle probably isn't included, since the class system doesn't suit the mode. I'm also concerned that Captains is responsible for the disappointing combat, since the changes to archery mechanics have apparently affected how bots operate. Imagine that? They're developing the game mechanics based on how those dumb bots work.
I read from callum sometime ago that battle wouldn't go along with this class system, so yeah that is the reason.

I agree with you, if they had separated the captain mode (a game mode that REQUIRED class system therefore I understand it exists for it) from everything else we wouldn't be sticking with this lame game mode that is skimrish, how much do we have to complain at this point to make them understand?

Um no? Almost all the clans in the captain's league are still active - mine is one of them (we're mainly a skirmish clan but we do captain as well for fun). The only reason you haven't seen a lot of activity lately is that all the tournaments recently have been draft based instead of clan-based.

The main reason Bannerlord clans are struggling to stay up is that it's extremely hard to grow past a small team because you are limited to a squad of six for the competitive game modes. If we had custom servers from day 1 I'm sure you would see massive clans for all game modes as more players could be included in matches, just like there was in warband.
A lot of the clans broke and scattered, and the ones that haven't don't really play as much as they used to. LB for example plays almost exclusively Skirmish at this point, and everyone seems to be pretty much moving on to other stuff rather than playing captain. Only way to have fun in captain atm is to just meme with bad units, and try to win in pubs. You know that you win every time if you just pick shock and F1F3F4 in spawn. It's stupid.

I read from callum sometime ago that battle wouldn't go along with this class system, so yeah that is the reason.

I agree with you, if they had separated the captain mode (a game mode that REQUIRED class system therefore I understand it exists for it) from everything else we wouldn't be sticking with this lame game mode that is skimrish, how much do we have to complain at this point to make them understand?

It doesn't really matter what Callum thinks when the playerbase wants battle, we'll have it and reworked combat & classes when modding is out.

then why is mordhau more popular and played than Bannerlord?

Doesn't take a whole lot to get into, very casual fun. For those that want that Mordhau is great. But the combat is pretty simple and easy in my experience. Mordhau better suits majority of players who can't stick to a game for very long and don't need to actually improve much to enjoy the game. Mount and Blade is a different experience that rewards players with access to a high skill ceiling and most people that actually have played a lot of Warband multiplayer absolutely loved it. Bannerlord still has a high skill ceiling compared to the Chivalry/Mordhau combat system but it's not even comparable because the combat systems are entirely different. Like comparing CoD to Arma or something.

I love captain mode, I just hope we get a new patch soon to fix all the BS in the mode.
This. And ban the asshats who are now multiplying in whats left of captain!

Whats the point of waiting 30 mins just to have 2 or 3 members on both teams with a known tker just sitting on either team?

Last edited:
Once the 1.5 patch came out, the AI controlled bots in Captain Mode were exposed as nothing more than noobs crutching off the braindead combat mechanics (archery, throwing, and lances). Once Taleworlds injected some skill requirement into the combat, the once-proud AI archers quickly fell apart. They can't even shoot their bows accurately anymore. I guess all those archers were just taking advantage of a very low skill-ceiling.

Seriously though, I think it goes without saying there needs to be separate balancing for Skirmish and Captain.

What is functional and congruent for a 6v6 fight between only players will always be invariably different from a game mode where the players are commanding large groups of bots.

Especially when perks are involved. Some of the perks available are clearly geared more toward Skirmish Mode (Sword & Shield) while others are more Captain-oriented (Heavy Kontos).

The class system is another great example. Fixed classes are largely unpopular with those who play Skirmish (and Siege... and TDM) but the different unit classes are what makes Captain Mode unique and interesting. If Taleworlds balances the classes along a Skirmish Mode paradigm -without making the changes exclusive to only Skirmish, then they will upset the balance of Captain Mode, and vice versa.

I think this should be the point where Skirmish and Captain Mode split.

I agree, captain's mode is pretty much dead since the last update. TW has shown 0 love to this, their unique game mode. Perhaps a different balance for skirmish and captains would be correct, the two are water and oil, they just don't mix. Also, give people battle mode, and allow them to choose custom equipment. I hope they fix this mess in the next match.

MAGA: Make Archers Great Again.

Back
Top Bottom