Why do the Venetians have an Iberian roster?

Users who are viewing this thread

I know there is not a huge difference between units on the European roster and that this isn't a game breaking issue. But for some reason the Republic of Venice has the Iberian troop tree as opposed to the Italian troop tree, which every other Italian faction has. This also means that their units get alot of Iberian armaments such as Iberian leather armor, Iberian helmets and even Andalusian helmets and shields. For instance, the last recruitable mounted unit for the Italian units is the Feditori, but the Venetian roster (like the Iberians and the rest of Europe) has Miles as their last. Their units recruited in cities also start as Cuidadanos, whereas the starting city unit for the Italians is the Contado.

Bump.

I realize this is trivial, but I fail to see any historical precedence for giving Venice an Iberian roster and it seems to be nothing more than a mistake. I even went as far as seeing if the source code was released so I could change it myself but it seems that DrTomas has refused to give the source code to anyone despite their being a mod out there that uses this mod as a base.

Alarmingly Fast Skeleton said:
Ah ok no worries. Anything you could possibly tell me I could do to fix it myself?

I am actually quite interested in fixing this as well. Wouldn't tinkering with some mod tool that edits troop trees be useful?

I am currently not on my PC, so I can't try it right away.

Well, since the mod author seems to have completely abandoned support, I took it upon myself to try and fix this at least.

I am using Morgh's editor but for the life of me cannot find what section governs faction troop trees. Looked into parties.txt, parties_template.txt and factions.txt, and all I could find was just some references to Venice(p_town_32_1, Repubblica_di_Venezia, fac_kingdom_32), but nothing useful in them.

Does anyone have any idea how to basically just assign an existing troop tree (Italian) to a faction (Venice)?

I'm trying to work through a similar issue with Mamluks recruiting Western European troops after they take over Palestine and Syria from the Crusader States. From what I've come to understand about how troop recruitment works in this mod, each city has a culture assigned to it which cannot change, so even if the Mamluks take Palestine and Syria from the Crusader states, the populations of those areas and the levies they provide are still considered European (even though during the actual crusades the population was almost entirely Arab from what I understand about the period. To which I feel obliged to add the tangent that I understand why the Crusader States should produce Western European levies for game-play mechanics, but I also feel that having recruitment be faction based would provide better game-play mechanics as it offers more consistency of style.)

Anywho, as to clues this could offer you in your search, perhaps try poking around for the city of Venice's culture assignment, not the faction, but the actual city (town) of Venice (New York, New York...) Which files you will have to edit may also depend on whether you're using the lance or native recruitment systems, as I've seen some threads about changing recruitment to match a faction and not a city. It seems like you can edit the values in the levy system to change whether a town/city/fief/whatever recruits from the faction's assigned culture or the city/town/fief/parcelofland's assigned culture.

If the Venetian faction has a cultural assignment of Iberian, then you'd have to edit both that and probably the town of Venice's cultural assignment. If you can edit just the Venetian faction and then change the recruitment system to recruit based on faction culture rather than holding culture, then you would only have to edit the Venetian faction's culture.

I've been poking around in the code myself but I don't have much experience with coding at all other than the occasional small edit.

That said, in this value you provided "p_town_32_1, Repubblica_di_Venezia, fac_kingdom_32" perhaps the value "32" has something to do with Iberian culture, and you could try looking at, say, Pisa, and checking if they have the same value. Again, I have almost no experience with coding, so I might just be spewing complete nonsense.

Deathstruck92 said:
Well, since the mod author seems to have completely abandoned support, I took it upon myself to try and fix this at least.

I am using Morgh's editor but for the life of me cannot find what section governs faction troop trees. Looked into parties.txt, parties_template.txt and factions.txt, and all I could find was just some references to Venice(p_town_32_1, Repubblica_di_Venezia, fac_kingdom_32), but nothing useful in them.

Does anyone have any idea how to basically just assign an existing troop tree (Italian) to a faction (Venice)?

I don't believe you can do it in Morgh's editor as his editor will directly edit the faction troop tree which isn't utilized in 1257 since this mod uses regional recruitment. But messing around in the editor it seems that there are actual factions for the cultures that determine troop trees, because if you scroll through the factions in the editor you will see factions such as: "fac_culture_byzantium". The ID for Italian culture is 20 while Iberian is 19, now I'm no coder myself but since culture is determined regionally our answer probably lies in parties.py as opposed to troops.py

UPDATE

Ok so if you poke around module_scripts.py I think I have found the cultural assignments for the factions. fac_kingdom_32 (which is Venice) looks like this:

(faction_set_slot, "fac_kingdom_32",  slot_faction_culture, "fac_culture_iberian"),
      (faction_set_slot, "fac_kingdom_32",  slot_faction_leader, "trp_kingdom_32_lord"),
      (troop_set_slot, "trp_kingdom_32_lord", slot_troop_renown, 1200),

So I would like to see what happens when you change "fac_culture_iberian" to "fac_culture_italian" but sadly I can't try this out myself because I'm getting an error when I try to compile it. (The error goes like: 'Blade' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable , or batch file). If anyone else wants to try it out I'd be eager to see if it actually works.

Back
Top Bottom