why do shooters run slower than other infantrymen ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Veselov30

Recruit
It is simply impossible to play for shooters with such mechanics, not only is the shooting itself done terribly, which is why you can often shoot the wrong place where the sight is and because of this get on your own, so also for a slow run you can't move a little away from the infantry and shoot so that your own do not fall under friendly fire, so as any shield-bearer, seeing an arrow on the side, just runs at him, and that's all you can't run away, you can't fight because he has a shield and better armor and a sword, it's not funny that an armored shield-bearer with an axe easily catches up with an archer.

It is simply impossible to play for shooters with such mechanics, not only is the shooting itself done terribly, which is why you can often shoot the wrong place where the sight is and because of this get on your own, so also for a slow run you can't move a little away from the infantry and shoot so that your own do not fall under friendly fire, so as any shield-bearer, seeing an arrow on the side, just runs at him, and that's all you can't run away, you can't fight because he has a shield and better armor and a sword, it's not funny that an armored shield-bearer with an axe easily catches up with an archer.

We are still tweaking and adjusting game balance as the game progresses so it is possible that this could change at some point in the future, however, this is unlikely as the slower movement speeds for ranged classes are part of the solution to the ranged issue itself. Otherwise, ranged characters could just constantly kite their opponents and not have to engage until they had fully depleted their ammo, which may be fun for you as the archer, but not so much for everyone else.

Meanwhile some shock infantry from some factions have enough movement speed to dodge arrows with ease and counter every infantry and cavalry in the game :xf-smile:
The only way to counter shock infantry is to hope the map has enough open space and also spam enough archers that it will be harder to dodge multiple arrows at once, and that's just against one person.
Javelin/Horse Archer cavalry might work since you can get closer without worrying about being caught up, but it can still be dodgable on many maps and it's not available for all factions.

"I just started playing Bannerlord due to the release of battle mode, and I do not understand the 50 balance updates that have made the classes into the state they are today."

We are still tweaking and adjusting game balance as the game progresses so it is possible that this could change at some point in the future, however, this is unlikely as the slower movement speeds for ranged classes are part of the solution to the ranged issue itself. Otherwise, ranged characters could just constantly kite their opponents and not have to engage until they had fully depleted their ammo, which may be fun for you as the archer, but not so much for everyone else.
Do you really think I'm taking a shooter to fight in close combat?

Depends on the map and where your teammates are I guess, but you do have a melee weapon too just in case.
Why not? Khan's Guard excellent infantry with bows).
And archers in general are doing well now. By definition, they can't be very effective in melee, but as a support unit they are great.

Last edited:
What you're using it for is irrelevant, the point is that ranged classes move slower so that they can't just always outrun melee infantry (and shoot them to death while running) in the event that melee troops do manage to get in close range.

That's a major exploit/cheese strategy, that lower movespeed for ranged units exists to prevent. (Though, I think it could just as easily be dealt with by slowdown on each fire and armor actually doing something).

for balance purposes? archers used to be as fast as inf, it was cancer to play against archers because you couldn't catch them. It is possible to play archer despite being slower than infantry. Archers are there to shoot, not be as good as inf in melee. Maybe you're not good at the game if you can't play archery just because of slow movement speed and can't survive against someone with a shield.

for balance purposes? archers used to be as fast as inf, it was cancer to play against archers because you couldn't catch them. It is possible to play archer despite being slower than infantry. Archers are there to shoot, not be as good as inf in melee. Maybe you're not good at the game if you can't play archery just because of slow movement speed and can't survive against someone with a shield.
I'm pretty good at playing for the shooter, well, if you remember such a mod as crpg, then even a video about me came out with the nickname SB_Veselov, but the essence of shooters is not to engage in close combat and I'm not writing about TDM right now, but about the mode with 1 life

I'm pretty good at playing for the shooter, well, if you remember such a mod as crpg, then even a video about me came out with the nickname SB_Veselov, but the essence of shooters is not to engage in close combat and I'm not writing about TDM right now, but about the mode with 1 life
Well this is a melee game where you get to shoot at people from a distance as a ranged class, so that gives you complete advantage from afar, in exchange for being at a disadvantage once they get up close. That seems like a fair tradeoff to me, and if you're good enough you can even still win once they get into melee range, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

Do you literally just want archers to be the best at everything with no downsides?

For example, if I am a skirmisher class and I pick up a bow, I become a very annoying person to deal with in the right circumstance. It works really well if you have a fellow cav with you.

But again, it is not super OP. If it was, horse archer should be very good then?

It's to nerf kiting but primarily the impact is to nerf them in melee so hard they have no option but to kite. It kind of works as a balance but I wouldn't say it creates good gameplay.

Because it makes sense a guy with full armour a shield and axe to run faster than a guy in rags holding a bow.
Gameplay usually takes precedence before realism, unless the unrealistic thing is easy to fix without making gameplay worse. There are plenty of things about video games in general that don't make sense, such as respawning out of thin air.

I propose to solve this problem in a different way. What if the speed of the shooters will be less only when running with a ranged weapon in their hands, and significantly reduce the speed of switching from melee to ranged weapons and back. This way we will get archers able to run at normal speed and be quite mobile in close combat, while kiting the infantry will no longer work. Since switching between weapons will slow down. I think this solution is more realistic, and will not be annoying.

significantly reduce the speed of switching from melee to ranged weapons and back.
No.

It is already slow enough, making this slower is a massive nerf to archers because you make them way worse in close combat.
Now an archer can fire shots from 8 metres or so while having enough time to switch weapons to defend itself, if you significantly increase this then this becomes 15 metres making archers almost useless in tight maps. You also reduce firing speed (sometimes you need to switch a lot) and give a massive buff to cav because archers become more immobile.
It is even a nerf in melee because at the moment you need to keep archers closeby, otherwise they will just get their bow out and shoot.

It just doesn't make sense and will feel awful, quick drawing speed of the bow is partially what makes playing archer feel good.

I think this solution is more realistic, and will not be annoying.

Nobody cares about realism, why do people keep bringing it up? Special.

It will be very very annoying as explained above, slowing things down is rarely a good idea as it easily makes things feel sluggish.

Back
Top Bottom