Why can't we add food to castle's stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

BoBB

My best troops are dying and I can't do anything about it. Fix it please.

My best troops are dying and I can't do anything about it. Fix it please.
I wish we could too, but you better take them out of your garrison, put them in a companion party if you have to, better then let them go to waste. I'd get trucking on taking more fiefs if you have more good troops then you can carry!

I can't...I'm already full and giving them to companions are just as bad.

Give them to your companion then immediately call your companion into an army.
Yeah if you're vassal or king do this! If you're a lone clan you done goofed. You gotta a do your math! But if you're alone you can just attack whoever you want and get a new feif to put people in! Look for a low prosperity town, some may even have food upgrades already.

Kingdom management is part of the game. If your garrison troops are dying for lack of food then you're failing to manage your kingdom. It's not something the devs need to fix, it's something you need to fix. Reduce your garrison so the city or castle's food production can sustain them. Limited resources is a fact of life. If you have food for only 100 soldiers, you recruit only 100 Soldiers, not 200.

Kingdom management is part of the game. If your garrison troops are dying for lack of food then you're failing to manage your kingdom. It's not something the devs need to fix, it's something you need to fix. Reduce your garrison so the city or castle's food production can sustain them. Limited resources is a fact of life. If you have food for only 100 soldiers, you recruit only 100 Soldiers, not 200.

I don't disagree with the general thrust of this, but right now players have only a very limited ability to stop their castles from gaining prosperity (eating more food) and no ability to buoy it the way they can with towns, by bringing in more food themselves or establishing a caravan at the town.

You can give them the food indirectly by selling it to the attached villages . It seems to make its way to the castle granaries. It still would be better if you could just add food directly to the granary

The food thresholds are way too low though. Its one thing if your stuffing your garrisons with thousands of troops, but it shouldn't be such a problem feeding the troops within the garrison limit. It makes any garrison increasing perks useless if you can't feed those extra guys

Last edited:
You can give them the food indirectly by selling it to the attached villages . It seems to make its way to the castle granaries. It still would be better if you could just add food directly to the granary

The food thresholds are way too low though. Its one thing if your stuffing your garrisons with thousands of troops, but it shouldn't be such a problem feeding the troops within the garrison limit. It makes any garrison increasing perks useless if you can't feed those extra guts
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try this...

lol I've spotted the newbie

I don't disagree with the general thrust of this, but right now players have only a very limited ability to stop their castles from gaining prosperity (eating more food) and no ability to buoy it the way they can with towns, by bringing in more food themselves or establishing a caravan at the town.
Not to mention you have no "non-violent" means of stopping an AI lord/army from just walking in and literally buying all the food in your town.

I think we should have secondary means to feed the garrisons via a stash or special private food stock, but have a serious consequence if the town/castle food runs out and the garrison still eats, like massive prosperity, loyalty, security, militia loss excetera, notable relation loss.

Because I agree you should do your best to play strategically, but you need to keep your soldiers at all costs and it makes no sense to not be able to just feed them yourself if push comes to shove.

lol I've spotted the newbie
Yeah, I tried to camoflage that very obvious title under my avatar that says "recruit", but dang if you didn't see it anyway. You got me. I'm new to the forum. New to this game as well. How is it you're only a Sergeant at Arms? Surely I'm not the first newbie you've spotted. Don't you get rewarded for that?

The castle should at least be able to store a couple weeks worth of food. Both as the aggressor and the defender, it doesn't make sense that the castle is basically out of food as soon as the siege starts. This happens basically every time. Historically, in long sieges, castles would be held down for months before the defenders gave up due to lack of food. Also, they could use tactics like half rations to try and drag the food out longer.

The castle should at least be able to store a couple weeks worth of food. Both as the aggressor and the defender, it doesn't make sense that the castle is basically out of food as soon as the siege starts. This happens basically every time.

That is exactly what the granary improvement does. I haven't seen any castle run out of food instantly that wasn't already having food supply issues (due to villages being burned). If anything, castles are ahistorically resistant to siege, because it takes -20 food deficit to kill one (1) of the garrison per day and the militia is not directly affected at all.

That is exactly what the granary improvement does. I haven't seen any castle run out of food instantly that wasn't already having food supply issues (due to villages being burned). If anything, castles are ahistorically resistant to siege, because it takes -20 food deficit to kill one (1) of the garrison per day and the militia is not directly affected at all.
If that is the case then the issue could be more that the A.I. should more often try to build this improvement. Villages are not always burned and in over 500 hours put into bannerlord I have yet to siege a single fief that had greater than 0 food at the time I started the siege. If there is a mechanic in the game to help this then it is not used effectively enough.

All castles should start with some degree of food storage. They pretty much would not be able to survive at all without this. It shouldn't go from always being 0 to suddenly they have food. It should be something like they can have 2-3 days worth of food storage without the improvement, but more with the granary. I don't agree at all with the idea that castles are atypically resistant to siege, unless you count the ongoing issues with defenders climbing siege towers. For one, how can a castle be resistant to siege, when every siege battle seems to always go to the attacker? From the middle ages straight through the beginning of the gunpowder age, very small garrisons within castles have been able to hold out against significant odds, even after the advent of cannon fire. This doesn't happen in this game, ever.

A person can survive up to three weeks without food btw. The death starvation rates make sense. However, the defenders should surrender if they are starving, if only to spare their own lives.

Not being able to add food directly to the granary is a problem. Castle without grain villages can struggle to feed even smallish garrisons. You can pump the villages with food, but they'll just sell most of it to the nearest town so only a portion of it gets to the castle and its only a temporary boost anyway.

For me, the food issues kill the main appeal of owning a castle. My favorite part of having a garrison is that I finally get a place to stash my growing army so that I can run around with a small party again. But I can't do that anymore since all those extra guys will eat through the stockpile in no time and start to starve. If I could at least fill the granary directly, I could have some more control over it. If I knew that there was, say, a week's worth of food, I could just make sure to be back with more food before the week's out.

Back
Top Bottom