Why are the steam reviews so good?

Users who are viewing this thread

For people who've never played Warband, Bannerlord is pretty impressive, especially for the first 20-30 hours before the late game monotony sets in. There's nothing else even remotely like it. Its not surprising that they give good reviews.

Also, the people on this forum are judging the game against their hopes and expectations of what a Warband sequel could be, and so it comes up short. The average Steam reviewer is judging the game against all the mediocre crap games on Steam, and so it looks great by comparison.

For people who've never played Warband, Bannerlord is pretty impressive, especially for the first 20-30 hours before the late game monotony sets in. There's nothing else even remotely like it. Its not surprising that they give good reviews.
I’ve played plenty of Warband and am now at my 250th hour of Bannerlord. I gave a negative review at first but changed it to positive after the 1.6.0 release.
Also, the people on this forum are judging the game against their hopes and expectations of what a Warband sequel could be, and so it comes up short. The average Steam reviewer is judging the game against all the mediocre crap games on Steam, and so it looks great by comparison.
Over half of the people on this forum think Bannerlord is a better game fhen Warband. Based on current polls.

For me it isn't really a bad game, but it's not the game i waited for 8 ****ing years. It's just a battle simulator with some features that are not really interesting because there not fully completed or so basic that you don't even have to mention them. There is no depth or immersion, there is just monotony. I dont really think they will change anything about it so we have to wait for the total conversion mods. I started so many playthroughs (after every big patch) and quit them after 1 or 2 days, because i was like "wow nothing changed. After so many battles, marry a wife and get kids there is nothing i can do anymore". I think that some people are mad because they hoped for so much (like me), and got something that is not even close to there vision of the game.

I have over a 1000 hours on the game and yet my review is negative. Basically the game is "enjoyable" and can be played for many hours which is why they are so positive probably. I am a bit more of a critic myself and I know a lot of potential is missed out on, untill the potential is caught up on I will not change my review to positive.

Its still a poll on a forum that is already negative towards BL. Just dismissing it as a troll thread doesn’t really hold up when there are no other recent polls to compare it to on this forum.
The name of the thread is "Base Bannerlord is better than base Warband". A troll starting threads like these is not interested in objective polls and people know it.
Start a genuine thread and poll with a neutral invitation for people to have their say, and you might get different results.

3. And there's user bias:
star_ratings.png

This can't be overstated. Both user and professional reviews are made with the audience reaction in mind. Unless something is unbelievably, unarguably unplayable, like EU4's leviathan, and nobody will disagree with you for ranting about it, the review scores plummet. But for most games, people leave "positive" reviews focusing on "potential" and then save their criticism for addendums. Aggregate reviews focus more on reflecting consensus than the individual opinions of the players..

Reviews for films are the same, surely an "average" film would be worth watching, but the word average is often just reviewer code for "unfathomable depths of ****e", and they get the same review scores as a lot of very good films. Bannerlord is somewhere in the middle, so the score of "slightly above the mean for a cesspit like steam" is about what I would expect.

The average Steam user is as follows: fifteen to twenty-five years old. Male. Wealthy background. American or european. Doesn't work or has an extremely relaxing and low-intensity job, doesn't have to worry about much.

^Most accounts on steam are Chinese, but even within the Anglosphere the average age of a player is like 35.

Last edited:
Pretty simple explanation: most of the players who bought BL were looking for an excuse to swing a sword, with some power progression included.
The average Steam user is as follows: fifteen to twenty-five years old. Male. Wealthy background. American or european. Doesn't work or has an extremely relaxing and low-intensity job, doesn't have to worry about much. Has zero sense for objective value, the attention span of a hamster and lives for instant gratification.
The weirdest thing about this fantasy is that you've described the sort of person who would be extremely discerning about games.

The name of the thread is "Base Bannerlord is better than base Warband".
And one of the longest threads on this forum is called “Bannerlord is a grift” that both of us have partaken in extensively. If that poll is a troll thread, so is BL is a grift.
Start a genuine thread and poll with a neutral invitation for people to have their say, and you might get different results.
I’m not confident that it will get different responses. Of course, only way to test that is to make another poll, so until that happens we don’t know if the results would change just due to a title change.

The weirdest thing about this fantasy is that you've described the sort of person who would be extremely discerning about games.
What about " attention span of a hamster and lives for instant gratification." makes you extremely discerning about games?
If you mean only "fifteen to twenty-five years old. Male. Wealthy background. American or European. Doesn't work or has an extremely relaxing and low-intensity job" perhaps this was the case 15 years ago, but certainly not now. The general threshold of consumption has plummeted in the young and criticism other then anonymous up and down votes is taboo for them.

And one of the longest threads on this forum is called “Bannerlord is a grift” that both of us have partaken in extensively. If that poll is a troll thread, so is BL is a grift.
They're both mostly :poop: threads. You can dig out a few ?s though.

What about " attention span of a hamster and lives for instant gratification." makes you extremely discerning about games?
Comparing things to other things they've experienced. The guy who plays 100 games a year probably thinks most of them are ****.
If you mean only "fifteen to twenty-five years old. Male. Wealthy background. American or European. Doesn't work or has an extremely relaxing and low-intensity job" perhaps this was the case 15 years ago, but certainly not now. The general threshold of consumption has plummeted in the young and criticism other then anonymous up and down votes is taboo for them.
To be clear, I don't believe that is even remotely true, even fifteen years ago, except the American or European part.

The name of the thread is "Base Bannerlord is better than base Warband". A troll starting threads like these is not interested in objective polls and people know it.
Such polls are meaningless. If I played exclusively MP, I'd probably downvote Bannerlord, but I'm exclusively SP so my perspective remains hopeful. After 573 hours in Bannerlord I don't consider it sufficiently complete to make a game review yet. However, I doubt I'll return to Native Warband after BL's graphics.

Because some people aren’t triggered by spending $50 and getting 50-100 of entertainment.

obviously, others are not the same and insist on ****ting on the game constantly rather than moving on.

Because the vast majority of players have never played a previous M&B game in any real depth, thus they see nothing wrong with Bannerlord. Its fine to enjoy the game as is, but its also fine to be disappointed with what we've got compared to Warband. (Inb4 someone starts another 'but Bannerlord has more' debate)

Also, the people on this forum are judging the game against their hopes and expectations of what a Warband sequel could be, and so it comes up short.
We all had expectation of what we personally wanted for a sequel but the lead-up to Bannerlord definitely fed into that and amplified the hype. The stuff they showed at Gamescom and such events was the game we were excited for but didn't get.

Back
Top Bottom