Why are Sturgian and Nords using gallogaich axes and Battanian using Norse hatchet?

Users who are viewing this thread

ZZZ9WWW

Recruit
To me, the word "Norse hatchet" is basically saying the "Viking short axe," And the name is linked to the "Norse round shield" that is actually used by Sturgian. The word "Gallogaich" is likely a reference to Gallowglass, linked to the highland that symbols Battainian. It seems the two factions are using the opposite axes to their reference cultures.

I want to believe™ that at the end of this EA path, when all systems will presumably work correctly and both bugs and bad performance become a thing of the past; the troop trees will be thoroughly checked, equipping the troops with a panoply according to the description of the archetype in accordance with its lore.

I want to believe™ that at the end of this EA path, when all systems will presumably work correctly and both bugs and bad performance become a thing of the past; the troop trees will be thoroughly checked, equipping the troops with a panoply according to the description of the archetype in accordance with its lore.
The "Norse hatchet" is code with "battania_axe_1_t2", and "Gallogaich axe" is code with "sturgia_axe_2_t2". According to their code, they are in the right place and spawn in their region's shop. But their looking and name seems off their culture, as the "Western infantry axe" used by brigand share the same axe head with "Gallogaich axe." So I think the two weapons should switch their axe head and name to be more lore.

Yeah, they messed that **** up. Thankfully it was not hard to correct it myself. Narrow Galloglaich axes for Battania, and wicked bearded axes for Sturgia.

It makes no sense anyway because the Galloglaich axe is an one-handed axe afaik, while the real Galloglaich/Galloglass was famous for his two-handed axe. It is strange to see such a term from the real world used in the game although the Battanians have nothing common with Gaelic Irish or Scots (except some tartan), and Galloglaich are from a different timeframe, too. I know, it's fantasy.

It makes no sense anyway because the Galloglaich axe is an one-handed axe afaik, while the real Galloglaich/Galloglass was famous for his two-handed axe. It is strange to see such a term from the real world used in the game although the Battanians have nothing common with Gaelic Irish or Scots (except some tartan), and Galloglaich are from a different timeframe, too. I know, it's fantasy.
Uh... going by what the devs say, along with naming of things, Battanians are meant to be inspired by the Gaels and Scots.

I mean, what are they meant to be, with things like Fians and Kerns, if not Celtic? I know TW went a bit too far with the fantasy element on them, but you have to be wilfully obtuse to not see.

But yeah, a Gallowglass's axe would be bigger.

I think they are inspired by something vaguely "Celtic", although they have not much, almost nothing, in common with real Irish or Gaelic Scottish or Welsh warriors of the period.

Irish/Scottish/Welsh clothing of the medieval ages is interestingly idiosyncratic, as many seemingly went barelegged (and with bare feet). That would have been a good opportunity to show some diversity in the game (where all clothing is of the same style everywhere), but the Battanians wear the same as the rest. Just with some tartan, that's boring. Maybe from the clothing they are modeled after Breton Celts (which did not use tartan however) from western France which were the least iconic Celts in my opinion however.

Celts of the time did not use much armor, by and large. Again, that's not anything near like the Battanians are (maybe understandable, for balance reasons). For the weapons, nothing especially Celtic. Why they have falxmen I don't know. The best is perhaps that they use some javelins, known as one common weapon in Ireland. The alleged focus on the bow reminds of the Welsh/Cymry who were famous for using bows and spears, albeit it is really weird to have nobles on foot with bows (I think there is no example for such a way to fight anywhere in any time of our history) and no normal archer line.

Calradia is fantasy and they can design the factions as they want, of course. It's just strange to bring partly some real world historical names into the game, and then mostly in wrong contexts.

Last edited:
I think they are inspired by something vaguely "Celtic", although they have not much, almost nothing, in common with real Irish or Gaelic Scottish or Welsh warriors of the period.

Irish/Scottish/Welsh clothing of the medieval ages is interestingly idiosyncratic, as many seemingly went barelegged (and with bare feet). That would have been a good opportunity to show some diversity in the game (where all clothing is of the same style everywhere), but the Battanians wear the same as the rest. Just with some tartan, that's boring. Maybe from the clothing they are modeled after Breton Celts (which did not use tartan however) from western France which were the least iconic Celts in my opinion however.

Celts of the time did not use much armor, by and large. Again, that's not anything near like the Battanians are (maybe understandable, for balance reasons). For the weapons, nothing especially Celtic. Why they have falxmen I don't know. The best is perhaps that they use some javelins, known as one common weapon in Ireland. The alleged focus on the bow reminds of the Welsh/Cymry who were famous for using bows and spears, albeit it is really weird to have nobles on foot with bows (I think there is no example for such a way to fight anywhere in any time of our history) and no normal archer line.

Calradia is fantasy and they can design the factions as they want, of course. It's just strange to bring partly some real world historical names into the game, and then mostly in wrong contexts.
I think the Battania did not aim to design as Irish or Scottish as the TW video of "Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Gamescom 2017 - Battania vs Empire" shows that ulfhednar and berserkers are Battanian troops, later pass to Sturgia and now vanished. They were more like a combination of barbarians cultures around the Roman period. Then TW decides to make Battnaia more Britannia, so they keep adding many things titled "highland" to Battnaia.

And in the video "Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord E3 2016 Siege Gameplay Extended" shows that Sturgia is a nordic faction judge by their look. Then TW decide to make Sturgia more Kievan Rus like Vaegirs instead of Nord, so in the current version, Sturgia wipes out all nordic looking troops except the Varyag line. Which I think is a bad idea. Yet their weapons and banners remain nordic.

Back
Top Bottom