Who has the best archers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Swadian Sharps - They aren't very good. Only advantage is their armor.

Nord V. Archer - They are the lowest level archers (level 19), and they are the weakest archers, but they can still be used.

Khergit V. Archer - These guys aren't actually half-bad - they have decent armor, the ability to move quickly on horse. Downside is that they really suck at melee.

Vaegir Marksmen - Very powerful and accurate, probably the best archers. Only downside is that their armor isn't exactly the best.

Rhodok Sharpshooter - They are quick to train, have the highest damage ranged weapons, wear decent armor, and comes with shields. One great tactic that can be used with Rhodok Sharps is "Hold Your Fire" to raise their shields. Since they are all guaranteed heavy board shields, you can advance using a wall of board shields. The other archers are not guaranteed shields, and Vaegirs and Nords don't have any shields. Rhodok Sharps also have excellent melee abilities, coming with high power strike - combined with the shield tactic, these guys are really useful.

I would go with either Khergits, Vaegirs, or Rhodoks for archers.

rhodoks vs vaegar archers = rhodoks would win = rhodoks are the best archers

the vaegirs may have betetr archery skill but they dont have the heavy armor, shield and melee capabilities of the rhodoks. all you have to do is advance close with their shields up and cut them to ribbons.

Rhodok sharpshooters are the best and most versatile, they are the best, end of story.

you think so?

i dont think so but it would be an interesting match up, two player controlled teams, one all rhodok sharpshooters and the other all vaegar marksmen.

I dont think those axes will be able to get through that shield and thick armor in time, and with a 2 handed weapon they cant block the rhodok swords too well...

shields are a BIG plus in this game

How do you guys station your archers during siege defense for maximum effectiveness?  Do you tell them to hold position in front of the ladder? To the side? Or don't touch the commands and leave it to default from start?

I tried telling them to hold to the side, but then they bunch up together, and only the front few guys at the walls shoot while the guys in the back do nothing.  I tried leaving it on default, but after they die, the reinforcements don't go replace them, they rush to the ladder or get stuck on the stairs.  I haven't tried telling them to hold position in front of the ladder, but if you have regular infantry and do that too, I figured the regular infantry would block the archers.  I don't know what's the best way.

ttsec said:
How do you guys station your archers during siege defense for maximum effectiveness?  Do you tell them to hold position in front of the ladder? To the side? Or don't touch the commands and leave it to default from start?
This may not work for you because I play with battle size on 200-300 (which makes sieges REALLY difficult by the way). The best thing to do is tell them to hold in front of the ladder, or underneath it when they/you have taken out most of the archers on the wall facing you. This is because the biggest problem after you take out the guys facing you is the guys on the towers facing the ladder. They make it VERY difficult to get up the ladder at all let alone combat the melee troops waiting for you at the top. Don't send your melee troops in with F3 at all, they just get slaughtered. Instead, you have to go up to the top of the ladder and take out as many people as you can until you clear a spot for your melee units to make a stand. Don't tell them to follow you either until you're really ready because they'll get in your way if you're combating troops at the top of the ladder.

EDIT: BTW, a really long 2-hander or polearm helps a ton when you reach the top of the ladder.

chantrain said:
you think so?

i dont think so but it would be an interesting match up, two player controlled teams, one all rhodok sharpshooters and the other all vaegar marksmen.

I dont think those axes will be able to get through that shield and thick armor in time, and with a 2 handed weapon they cant block the rhodok swords too well...

shields are a BIG plus in this game
Let's wait until custom battle mod comes to 1.003 and we'll see. If it comes.

theguruofreason said:
ttsec said:
This may not work for you because I play with battle size on 200-300 (which makes sieges REALLY difficult by the way). The best thing to do is tell them to hold in front of the ladder, or underneath it when they/you have taken out most of the archers on the wall facing you. This is because the biggest problem after you take out the guys facing you is the guys on the towers facing the ladder. They make it VERY difficult to get up the ladder at all let alone combat the melee troops waiting for you at the top. Don't send your melee troops in with F3 at all, they just get slaughtered. Instead, you have to go up to the top of the ladder and take out as many people as you can until you clear a spot for your melee units to make a stand. Don't tell them to follow you either until you're really ready because they'll get in your way if you're combating troops at the top of the ladder.

EDIT: BTW, a really long 2-hander or polearm helps a ton when you reach the top of the ladder.

See important point.

Naridill said:
Vaegirs have two-handed weapons. There's a reason you arm your heroes with two-handed weapons instead of one-handed, because they deal more damage and kill more stuff.

Marksmen would slaughter Rhodok Sharpshooters.

Nope, Marksmen got nerfed in 1.003.

They don't have battle axes anymore.

In bold are glaring weaknesses.

In Green are significant advantages.

Vaegirs:

Strong Bow
Nomad Bow
Arrows
Voulge (29c) (2h)
Axe (31c) (2h)
Nomad Sabre (30c) (1h)
Leather Vest: 16 protection
Studded Leather: 33 protection
Nomad Cap: 8 protection
Spiked Helmet 32 protection
Nordic Helmet 34 protection
0 power strike
Some ironflesh
High Strength rating

Rhodoks:

S. Crossbow
Steel Bolts
Sword
Short Sword
Military Pick
Heavy Board Shield
Byrnie (37)
Padded Leather (2:cool:
Leather Cap (10)
Kettle Hat (33)
Power Strike: 5
Ironflesh: 6
Athletics: 6

However, overall, Rhodoks have better armor, better stats, and the ability to use a big shield helps as well.

HA! i told you guys, rhodok sharpshooters are the best and most versatile missile troops in the game

the difference in power strike is staggering, the rhodoks would cut up any other missile troops in close melee combat, theyd cut them to ribbons

theguruofreason said:
G36E said:
See important point.
Whoa, missed that... When the hell are you defending in a siege? I've never defended and I've taken over all of Vaeger territory.

I have never had to defend a siege on my own land, because I never let it come to that. But, my friendly lords are stupid and often leave their castles poorly defended, and you can jump in and help them defend, and that's when i defend sieges.

Oh yeah, when assaulting, F3 does get a lot of your men killed, but I still used that, because I value my own health more than 100 of my men's. I just get like 20 hired blades up front and i tell them to F3, following them are usually my companions, and then after them my regular troops (after reinforcements come), and then I send my archers in. I am always the last man up the ladder because I don't want to die. I have won many sieges this way.  As long as your companions and your frontline troops are high quality, like huscarls and hired blades, then by the time your regulars spawn and go up the ladder, the enemy is already significantly softened and you won't loose many regulars.  Most of your companions will probably die, but they resurrect and in good state w/ good first aid.

Naridill said:
Vaegirs have two-handed weapons. There's a reason you arm your heroes with two-handed weapons instead of one-handed, because they deal more damage and kill more stuff.

Marksmen would slaughter Rhodok Sharpshooters.

Ha!
Vaegir Marksmen have crappy two handers with zero power strike and 80ish proficiency, they have NO chance against Rhodok Sharpshooters in melee!

I siege NORD CASTLES now with my pure Rhodok Sharpshooter army :grin:

Rhodoks were pushovers but in the final they are hardcore, Rhodok Sharpshooters are the best overall archers AND the best overall footmen.

DaveDaDude said:
Everyones gonna say Vagiers, but Rhodoks Sharpshooters have more powerful crossbows to  peirce armored troops assaulted your walls and have a big shield and sword and better armour to fight on the walls

I'm using Rhodok Sharpshooters and I have to say they are "great", and aye especially at defending against an onslaught of invaders in a castle/town. Having a castles wall full of these guys makes it impossible for the opponent to get the seige ladder to the wall with the 6 troops being killed off until they stop sending them. Then they have plenty of ammo left to keep dwindling the enemies ranks to nothing, they're fantastic. They are definitely the best xbow users, I could imagine that Vaegir Marksmen might be better in a regular field setting with their high rate of fire, but I haven't really compared and tried both out enough to say much about it.

Time for some troop editing  :twisted:

I'm still undecided with the Khergits veterans vs. Marksmen.  The Marksmen have +1 power draw over the horsey folk ... and in older versions, power draw enhanced accuracy.  Not sure what it means in this day in age. 

A few trial rounds of Khergits on foot vs. Marksmen would be appropriate. 

It's a little bit annoying how every Rhodok freaks screams constatnly on how incredible they are, even the archers.
Ok, whatever, they are the best... wonderful, wonderful warriors - every time I meet them I shiver in fright.
When I see even a scout party, I have to flee, since my archers get so much squished under them rhodok boots.

I would enlist in the rhodok arm, but - hey! Where's the ^fun in that? Always wining, hiting with my mighty crossbow, eyes closed, each and every knight. Hey, and don't even talk about the khergs... when it's against them, it seems my bolts have some kind of tracking device.

SO! I decided to go for the wearker factions, sometimes getting my ass whooped, yup, but enjoying every momend of shame and embarassment thos mighty rhods give me.

Thanx every rhodok veteran to let me come here in awe and show you all my respect.

Rhodok crossbowmen RULEZ! YEAH!

Don't listen to anyone who try to tell you it's any kind of crossbowmen who are the best.
They have a WAY slower rate of fire, and they're completely immobile and vulnerable when they bend down and reload. If they get hit while reloading, they even have to start all over again. They're practically begging to get shot.

Vaegir Marksmen. Hands down.

Back
Top Bottom