Who has only one faction's army?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gandamula

Sergeant at Arms
I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but on my commercial trips I hire peasants in the cities where I pass, and basically I have a multinational army, Sturgian and Empire infantry, cavalry of what appears, usually hired prisoners, Khuzait horse archers, and archers of the Empire or Valand. Don't you think there should be limits to that? What does it mean to choose the faction? Basically we do and we recruit what we want. And in late game after figth one faction for so many battles and recruit the prisoners, my army becomes their army. It's fun, but should have limits.

I don't think there should be limits. National armies is a really late development and not known in long parts of history. Your soldiers actually are mercenaries from the beginning, even if they are named recruits or such. They enter your party for money and don't go back to their villages after a certain time of service. So they could serve anywhere and mixed parties would be normal in the real Calradia.

That said maybe some soft limits could be applied, moral hits for very heterogeneous parties for example.

Personally I only used an one-faction-units party during the time I had overhauled the Battanians with a new troop tree, clothes and armor and appearance (got rid of the terrible beards f.e.), so that I was able to accept vassalage from them. Usually I don't like any of the factions or the location of some factions enough and don't feel obliged to clip to soldiers of one faction. Currently I mainly recruit from Vlandia and Empire and my custom troops (from Adonnays Troop Changer).

The core of my army are allways from the faction I belong, the forangers are around 10 - 15% most of the time. I would love to see soft limits like the previous comment sugested, moral bost or penalty will be nice... but not hard limits.

The problem for me is when you are independent, it would be nice to be able to create your own troop tree otherwise is like you lack of your own identity.

I've done playthroughs like that: Khuzait, Sturgia, Aserai. It isn't a big deal once you get a nice, solid core of the top-tier units.

theres a perk that boost morale troops of same faction i think , and i believe devs are thinking to add more difficult to recruit foreign prissoners to your army, or a morale penalty as well

If this is a medieval sim...

"English" armies of the medieval period could include: Scots, Irish, Flemish/Dutch, Norman/Angevin/Breton French, Cornish, Welsh + a multitude of ethnicities that are no longer distinct. "Mongol" armies of the same period might have included Turkic, Chinese, Korean, Tibetan, Persian, Caucasian, Russian, and any number of the billion other groups who joined their pan-ethnic state. Byzantine and Turkish armies could appear to be almost identical, including elements from as far afield as England and Iraq and anywhere in between (Normans at times even sided with both sides for personal gain). Don't even get me started on the makeup of Italian, Spanish, German armies.

This period was full of private companies, armies, tribal groups for hire. As well as this, the variations on the different feudal systems in place guaranteed that military forces were cosmopolitan. A lord could simultaneously be an owner of lands in Scotland and Germany, and thus form armies including both. Looking at armies as "ethnically" related to the leadership is a very modern way of thinking, and not really appropriate.

Therefore I will spend my time hand crafting a professional force full of Sharpshooters, Fians, Banner knights and Khan's guards, and I will shape them around what ever cheap bulk infantry I collect on the march.

Out of roleplay reasons, I prefere not to mix armies in Bannerlord. I've tried with most fractions (except Khuzait):
Battanians are difficult, as you usually don't find enough ranged, but interesting
Sturgians: I can't say much. It was hard to get a good force. Everytime I visited a village, it was either raided or some noble took the recruits.
Asarai needed careful management - their armour seems inferior
Empire is easy. Masses of archers, legionaires and of course every cataphract you find.
Vlandrians: even more easy. Protect your core of heavy x-bows until it's time for the knights charge...

I don't think it works in parties but i know it worked in my city. So, last night i played some BL and went to one of my empire cities that was garrisoned by some Aserai guys and the security of the city went down because of "improper garrison" by 1.5 or 0.5. It only went away after changing the men with empire soldiers, which confused me a lot as i don't remember this happening earlier. Was this implemented a long time ago and I was just too dumb to figure out?

That said maybe some soft limits could be applied, moral hits for very heterogeneous parties for example.

I'd like to see this. I don't think there should be a hard limit to recruiting across cultures but I think there should be some in-game benefits and detriments to this as modified by perks. We'd also need some more tangible benefits to high morale as well - party speed, how much they eat, that kind of thing.

I think if we use "house rules" and make a single faction game it will give us several different experiences, like in Total War games, but they are there calling for us to pick them and make a prefect army. I promise to my self that in next game, after the new patch, I will do it. But I doubt. ?

I have been playing the same way since warband, My army always is 50 - 50 of the best archers and the best infantry. So Tend to use 2 factions.

In the case Bannerlord becomes a thing in RPG (not even close yet) or we get custom orders, I would go with 1 faction 100%.

Or in the case they fix their AI so battles stop being a f1 - f3 destroying formation as a train, I would add cavalry and spears, what would force me to choose more factions to have a balance army.

Last edited:
I always play 100% a faction. often that of my culture, so I play with the weakness of my faction. I find it funnier to add a difficulty. I find this logical, as soldiers who do not speak the same language cannot be properly coordinated and therefore a morale penalty makes sense.

I don't think it works in parties but i know it worked in my city. So, last night i played some BL and went to one of my empire cities that was garrisoned by some Aserai guys and the security of the city went down because of "improper garrison" by 1.5 or 0.5. It only went away after changing the men with empire soldiers, which confused me a lot as i don't remember this happening earlier. Was this implemented a long time ago and I was just too dumb to figure out?

I don't think I've ever seen this penalty. Do you have a screenshot?

Since this game is sandbox and should remain so, I suggest that it could be solved by making the troops convertible to respective tire troops of your faction. This could be possible only if you are a vassal not if you are just mercenary . What do you think?

Since this game is sandbox and should remain so, I suggest that it could be solved by making the troops convertible to respective tire troops of your faction. This could be possible only if you are a vassal not if you are just mercenary . What do you think?
I also thought about it, having a form of troops or hybrid equipment,based on the chosen faction. But that was too much for Taleworlds.

More often than not, many people don't because it's counterproductive. The best archers, lancer cav, infantry, horse archers, etc don't come from 1 faction and so too are prisoners that can be recruited.

I don't think I've ever seen this penalty. Do you have a screenshot?
Here you go, again, sry for being late. And the title is different: "inadequate garrison". And sry for not cropping it but i was in a rush.
OK8jrgz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom