Who are the Rhodoks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think that saying they're based off of anything is over the top.

Personally, I don't see the handiwork of in depth research into the policies of a certain country when I consider M&B's development.

I really don't see why you are so angry. I mean, honestly, you are arguing and raging about a game faction's basis. Don't you find that a bit silly.

Besides, wasn't Venice considered a 'republic' as well?

Hussites!

Hussite_Wars.jpg

hussitecrossbowmanandshhf0.jpg

Ussita_pavese_shield_Prag_Museum_1429.jpg

RaVeN said:
infantries

The word Infantry is used to describe a single footman or an entire army of footmen in the same way Cavalry was used to describe one or more horsemen.

I'm sorry if this comes across ass rude it is really not my intention, as I understand English is not every ones native language.

I would like to point out that this argument is futile.

As both of you can provide a decent argument to support your case, however I am leaning more toward RaVeN as he has not tied down the base nation to any one European power rather opened it to many which is more plausible as many Nations in Europe can be likened to the Rhodoks.

As he so rightly pointed out the Khergit are based on Asian cultures and i would like to add middle eastern as well as their buildings look Arabian in design.

The thing to remember is this, a nation evolves its Military tactics to oppose those of its rivals with Swadians to the north and the Khergit to the east its only natural the Rhodoks would develop tactics to exploit the heavy Cavalry (Pole-arms also look at the Polish) and Armour (Cross-Bows also look at nearly every Nation in Europe and Asia) of these two powerful nations.

Grapes? Spain, France, Italy the best climate for growing Grapes is the northern Sub-tropical band and the southern temperate band specifically areas where the atmosphere is both warm and dry we also grow them in England but they are better for eating than wine making IMO however English Strawberry's are the best in the world again IMO.

If any of you noobs knew squat about history, you'd know it was the Flemish.

There is a principle to these kinds of invented races. It goes like this; you steal the military structure from one culture, the geographic location of another culture, and the religion of a third. Wa-la, you have a new race with multiple cultural references that are all quite correct.

I'm gonna throw my vote in that Rhodoks are Spanish, based on the Pike and Shot formtion, though I agree that inpiration for any of the nations was drawn from a mix of RL nations.

and socks, why do you say that RaVeN is repeating his arguements? You've said the same thing over and over as well

socks said:
Mountainous - Switzerland, Scotland
Oppressed by Heavy Cavalry - Switzerland, Scotland, Flanders
Polearms - Switzerland, Scotland, Flanders
Democracy - Switzerland
Peasant Armies - Switzerland, Scotland [the Flemmish armies that opposed the French/English were organized town militias who had a large group of nobles supplementing them.]
Merchants - Italy
Southern/Central part of continent: Switzerland, Flanders, Italy

Note how there is a single attribute that Switzerland and Rhodoks don't share, while none of the other nations can say as much. It just makes a lot more sense that Rhodoks are based primarily on Switzerland than a conglomerate of nations spread across the entirety of Europe, from an island off the coast of Turkey to the Northernmost tip of Great Britain. There's around three thousand kilometers between these two, and additionally all of these nations have gaping differences from eachother.

Again, I'll grant you that the economics of Rhodoks are based off Italy, but only because I can find no documentation of that of medieval Switzerland.

You keep saying that the Rhodoks are based on the Swiss but you keep ignoring the arguments I am presenting. There shouldn't be any doubt that militarily the Rhodoks are also based on the Flemish because of their large force of soldiers carrying polearms and spiked clubs, which Rhodoks do carry. There also should not be any doubt that the Rhodoks are also based on the Italians because of their close resemblance in crossbowmen.

Yes it is true that in that list you gave me, the Swiss are in every single one of them. But the problem is that you only talked about areas where Switzerland did make the list and you refuse to talk about areas where Switzerland does not make the list. let me give you a more complete list...

Mountainous - Switzerland, Scotland
Oppressed by Heavy Cavalry - Switzerland, Scotland, Flanders
Polearms - Switzerland, Scotland, Flanders
Democracy - Switzerland
Peasant Armies - Switzerland, Scotland [the Flemmish armies that opposed the French/English were organized town militias who had a large group of nobles supplementing them.]
Merchants - Italy
Southern/Central part of continent: Switzerland, Flanders, Italy

--->Pavise crossbowmen - Italians, where is Switzerland?
225px-Balestriere1.jpg
I know some had them too. But note that because you used "democracy" as an argument for Switzerland being Rhodoks while many states during the time where also alike, this argument should work under the same logic.

--->Goedendags: morningstars and spiked clubs(some basic Rhodok infantry weapon which the Flemish used to great extent in Golden Spurs) - Flanders, where is Switzerland?
goedendag2.JPG
Boeheim_Morgenstern_01.jpg
goedendr.jpg
Proof that Rhodoks are at least also partially based on the Flemish.

--->War cleaver/chopper style falchions/Godendak - Normans/Early French infantries did use them, where is Switzerland?
otm14vddetail4.gif
110807ChopperGlam.jpg
Again, the existence of these babies as unique Rhodok weapons is proof that Rhodoks aren't just based on the Swiss.

Whatever the case is, it is now very clear now that the Rhodoks are not just based on one, but many different states/nations because it has weapons, mostly unique, from many historical countries, such as Flanders, Italian city-states and Scots but none really from Switzerland. And it is very clear that there isn't really any resemblance between the Rhodoks and Swiss in military besides the love for polearms. I bet the Flanders had a even more important view for polearms, if not to the same degree compared to the Swiss.

In terms of resembling Switzerland, it is only mountainous, being oppressed by heavy-cav nations and polearms loving that counts.

Your argument still fails to convince me that the Rhodoks are based on Switzerland simply because the Swiss loved polearms, were a confederation, mountainous and oppressed by heavy-cav nations. The Rhodoks are not simply based on the Swiss, even if they actually do, but are based on several states just like how all of the Calradian factions are based on several historical states.

socks said:
Again, I'll grant you that the economics of Rhodoks are based off Italy, but only because I can find no documentation of that of medieval Switzerland.

First of all, you're in no position to grant me anything. Second of all, by saying that, you have just agreed with my argument that "Rhodoks are at least partially based on the Italian city-states." I have pretty much concluded my argument on that then.

IN case you just missed Duracells post which should've cleared this whining up faster than a flamethrower a straw-based methane factory; I'll post the link again. Follow it, or so help me god, I will be really cross!

CLICK THIS.

Should it, somehow, fail to lead you to Merlkir's post then you should use Ctrl+f to find him!

You're both idiots, Armagan personally stated the Rhodoks are based on the Swedish and Highland peoples. Check the link posted above.

Ninja'd.

*Awaits obligatory, "Oh well Merlkir made that up." or "He probably just misunderstood, obviously the Rhodok are Swiss."

Read a few posts previously. Armagan himself seems to have said that the Rhodoks are a combination of Italy, Scotland and ... Sweden? :eek:

Pavise crossbowman - once again, you completely ignore how I've addressed this many times ingame and in this thread. The Rhodok crossbowmen do not use their pavise shields at all like Genoese crossbowmen did. Additionally, Italian infantry did not use pavise shields. They used kite and heater shields.

Goedendags + cleavers: again, the idea of thinking a faction is partially based off another just for a single weapon is ridiculous.

Nonetheless, I'll accept - both from Armagans' statement and from my discovery that a few parts of Northern Italy [right below Switzerland, by the way] were democratic/republic as well - that the Rhodoks are based on a combination of Northern Italy and Rhodoks. However, the other nations you argued are largely nonsensical - while I assume Armagan's reference to Scotland is because of its wars of independence against Britain [which, I'll give you credit, you did mention several times], schiltrons don't really factor in. The only plausible reason for Rhodes is geographical. Your argument for Flanders consisted of things that already applied to Sweden - its defense against heavy cavalry - and a single weapon that they and the Rhodoks both used.

Anyway, I've had my say, but Armagan's definitely overrides it. So, locking the topic.

Still, the number of resemblances to Switzerland, and yet Armagan made no mention of it :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom