Which new factions would you like to see added/modded into the game ?

Users who are viewing this thread

tzadik

Recruit
Personally I find it kind of boring how there's only 6 major factions in the game, and how vast amounts of historical inspirations get condensed down into very simplified homogeneous cultures, (e.g the one Western European faction (Vlandia), the one Arab faction (Aserai) ect). Although I kind of understand why the developers chose to do this for the sake of simplicity, and that they did kind of try to introduce some cultural heterogeneity with the minor factions and such, hopefully modding tools will make it possible to add new factions/areas into the game. For reference see attached the maps of the rough political borders of the world around the time the game is meant to be set (10-11th century).
East-Hem_1100ad.jpg
East-Hem_1025ad.jpg

None. The game does not need any more factions. If someone wants to make a mod that adds more, they can go ahead. But the base game is fine as is as far as the number of factions is concerned. After all, Calradia is not real world. Never was, and never will be.

The game does not need more factions. Trying to condense a whole planet's worth of factions into a game that simulates a continent would be stupid.
The game works because all the historic counterparts of the current factions could have realistically come into contact with each other.

I can't think of anything worse than having vikings, samurai, native Americans and the Ethiopian empire fighting on one continent ?

None. The game does not need any more factions. If someone wants to make a mod that adds more, they can go ahead. But the base game is fine as is as far as the number of factions is concerned. After all, Calradia is not real world. Never was, and never will be.

WhirlwindWelldocumentedEuropeanpolecat-size_restricted.gif

The game itself right now doesn't need any more factions, mostly because we don't have the naval system. However according to the lore there are or are assumed to be more factions beyond the known territory and therefore we can imagine what they would look like. Myself in several threads of "we need an African faction style thread", going beyond the current archetype that reflects the minor faction Jawwal; as anachronistic as it sounds I would like a Carthage faction dressing it up in the game as if the real one had lasted until the middle ages.

Zendar

What once stood as a proud city, a symbol of knowledge and harmony, was once plundered and reduced to dust. It still remains in the living memory of most people and it is thanks to them and to oral tradition that we know of its existence. The Zendarians were famous for their neutrality in Calradian politics, positioned between the Norths Kingdom and Vaegir.

It is said that recruiting farmers in the tavern was allowed and that one could participate in tournaments, even receive training in the handling of weapons from the local coach. Worthy of mention are the three most famous sites in the small state; the four-way inn, the Dhorak tower and the salt mines and also two of its most renowned citizens: Stavros and Hareck. Zendar, being a small independent state had problems keeping its independence from less diplomatic third parties, such as the Pirates of the River and the Raiders of the Sea. The citizens often put a price on their heads, which attracted mercenaries from all over Calradia to dispute the reward.

Popular knowledge indicates that the city was razed to the ground by an army of Pirates, leaving behind blood and destruction which led to the entire population being dispersed over the rest of the land.

Geroia

Beyond the Khergit lands. Lezaliz, second son of the Count of Geroia, Marnid the merchant and Artimenner the expert engineer come from this land. A feudal county outside the limits of Calradia. Birthright succession. Given that its main export is flax and that it is not native to Calradia; it can be assumed that its climate is oceanic. Given that three of the most illustrious figures originate from this place, Lezalit, Marnid and Artimenner, all of them highly educated, it can be assumed that the land is clearly highly urbanized and endowed with systems that are technologically and culturally advanced. It can also be assumed that Geroia is similar to Swadia and the Rhodok territory in culture, given the names and fashions of its people.

Balion

It lies beyond the vast western ocean. Specifically, it is claimed to exist across the western ocean, referring specifically to Konrad's homeland. Implicit in his biography is the connection of trade routes from these lands to those of Calradia. Perhaps the most mysterious and unknown land to the Calradians. Not much is known about its people, except that they are similar in culture to the Swadians and that in the art of war they prefer the longbow.

Lotki

Beyond the western ocean. Argo Sendnar names it in his chronicles.

Jumne

It is a region located in the extreme north of Calradia, beyond the North Sea. The land is said to be frozen over and is the home of the Nordic and Pirates. Mathel describes the origin of the Nordic people and the great robber Sverre belongs there.

Charnye

East of Vaegir territory. Borislav was born on its tundra.

Siri

South of the Sarranid domains beyond the wastelands. Usiatra tells of how he overthrew a bandit leader after occupying a village in these lands.

-----

As always in this, everything depends on Taleworlds. :iamamoron:

The game does not need more factions. Trying to condense a whole planet's worth of factions into a game that simulates a continent would be stupid.
The game works because all the historic counterparts of the current factions could have realistically come into contact with each other.

I can't think of anything worse than having vikings, samurai, native Americans and the Ethiopian empire fighting on one continent ?
I agree with not wanting to cram everything together, but I wasnt thinking of 'expanding' the map to include the whole world but simply having more cultures within the Europe/ Middle East and North Africa space that Calradia is roughly analogous too, for example it seems simplistic too me that the Norman like faction (Vlandia) rules over the entirety of the western portion of the map and it would be cool to see like an Anglo - Saxon/ Kingdom of Burgundy/ Holy Roman Empire like faction.

Maybe not entire new factions, but rather minor factions who are envoys, merchants and explorers from distant nations coming into Calradia for a look. Something to make the world feel so much larger, without necessarily making the map itself larger.

Maybe not entire new factions, but rather minor factions who are envoys, merchants and explorers from distant nations coming into Calradia for a look. Something to make the world feel so much larger, without necessarily making the map itself larger.

This would do for me! :smile:

it would be cool to see like an Anglo - Saxon/ Kingdom of Burgundy/ Holy Roman Empire like faction.

Yeah I fully agree with this. Factions like Vlandia can be divided into different Norman descendent cultures. I'm sure the same applies to Sturgia and Battania. The Dev team is probably beyond expanding the map however.

Hopefully real world mods like 1256 AD or Brytenwaldacome to fruition. The had pretty nice minor unit differentiations between factions with similar cultures

Yeah I fully agree with this. Factions like Vlandia can be divided into different Norman descendent cultures. I'm sure the same applies to Sturgia and Battania. The Dev team is probably beyond expanding the map however.

Hopefully real world mods like 1256 AD or Brytenwaldacome to fruition. The had pretty nice minor unit differentiations between factions with similar cultures
there's already real world mods in the works:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/1066-ad

modding tools cant come soon enough

The already existing factions are too big and strong, so if one falls behind, it completely dies and starts a snowballing effect, the current ones need to be split with few independent counts and dukes.

Instead of adding new factions, make the ones already there more diverse internally. One region of Vlandia doesn't necessarily have to be the same as another. Since Vlandia is a loose stand-in for western European countries like France or Britain, they could make each city represent a different constituent culture. Same with the other factions.

We have quite a few already but they're shallow atm.
We need depth and interraction for the ones we have.

rough political borders of the world around the time the game is meant to be set (10-11th century).
East-Hem_1100ad.jpg
WHAT IS THIS? A HISTORICAL MAP THAT USES ACCURATE HISTORICAL NOMENCLATURE?

I would at least want alternative factions to arch cultures of Calradia. There could be another Turkic-inspired faction to the north of the Khuzaits, sort of like the Seljuks and Cuman-Kipchaks, and for Normans (Vlandians) the HRE, Mamelukes (Aserai, sort of?) with the Moors and so on.
However I also want the map to expand (and be made interesting and believale geographically) in general, the campaign map feels waaaaay too small and compact for it to be called a continent, not to mention how bland and empty it all seems as you travel the entire "continent" in two or three days on horseback. (And it being so small and.. boring makes families and multi-generational campaigns effectively pointless)

Back
Top Bottom