Which new factions would you like to see added/modded into the game ?

Users who are viewing this thread

It would be great if there was more regional diversity within the factions. If areas of the map had names and particular cultural nuances, with extra units that could be recruited only in those areas.
Yeah, we could have the Western Empire look more like the Western Roman empire. Battania could have an Iceni/Pict-esque sub culture. Sturgia could have straight up Nordic regions. Maybe early Rhodoks in the Vlandian territories too. Not sure what to do for the Aserai or Khuzaits yet, but giving them some sub cultures would be great too.

It would be great if there was more regional diversity within the factions. If areas of the map had names and particular cultural nuances, with extra units that could be recruited only in those areas.

Different areas of the map do have names.

No one notices because there is absolutely no reason to give a damn you're traversing the Nahasa Desert on your way to the Bahr al-Yeshm or that the Khuzaits have a city on Mount Iltan. It is all the same either way (other than mapspeed penalties, that is) and settlements are much more convenient points of reference for the player than landmarks.

Different areas of the map do have names.

No one notices because there is absolutely no reason to give a damn you're traversing the Nahasa Desert on your way to the Bahr al-Yeshm or that the Khuzaits have a city on Mount Iltan. It is all the same either way (other than mapspeed penalties, that is) and settlements are much more convenient points of reference for the player than landmarks.
Is there a map showing the names of different areas?

I was talking more about 'provinces' than just landmarks, more for the sake of immersion and variety than as points of reference. To make each 'culture' feel less homogeneous. So that I don't have to mentally refer to areas as just "that bit around" such and such or "the mountainous bit in the middle" or whatever.

Last edited:

I was talking more about 'provinces' than just landmarks, more for the sake of immersion and variety than as points of reference. To make each 'culture' feel less homogeneous. So that I don't have to mentally refer to areas as just "that bit around" such and such or "the mountainous bit in the middle" or whatever.

This is exactly what I'm saying too. Make it feel atleast that some border regions or mountain regions have an identity special to it's own.

For instance the Khuzaits should have more traditional Turkic and maybe more Rus and Syrian peoples within certain zones. Maybe at it's farthest east Indian or Tibetan.

The Aserai would share these Syrian populations, have Armeniac and the Bedouin present in merc trees and maybe Ethiopan/sout
hern nile civilizations maybe Berbers, Morrocan, Songhai.

The Emprie would have caucaus populations Armenian, Georgian and Bulgars, Rus, Syrian and of course the turkic tribes (probably the Khazars or Kipchaks?)

Vlandia can stay vlandia Western Europe, maybe more iberain and italians and possibly some Moroccans/Berbers.

Battania is it's own animal.

Sturgia would of course need to differentiate more between Rus and Nords. Have the noble be Nords with Rus Princes maybe other baltic cultures, Like Lithuanians. Pechengs etc.

No, there isn't a map. The regions were mentioned in devblogs years back and made their way into village description (but not towns for some reason) however at some point they dropped most mentions of them.

This is exactly what I'm saying too. Make it feel atleast that some border regions or mountain regions have an identity special to it's own.

For instance the Khuzaits should have more traditional Turkic and maybe more Rus and Syrian peoples within certain zones. Maybe at it's farthest east Indian or Tibetan.

The Aserai would share these Syrian populations, have Armeniac and the Bedouin present in merc trees and maybe Ethiopan/sout
hern nile civilizations maybe Berbers, Morrocan, Songhai.

The Emprie would have caucaus populations Armenian, Georgian and Bulgars, Rus, Syrian and of course the turkic tribes (probably the Khazars or Kipchaks?)

Vlandia can stay vlandia Western Europe, maybe more iberain and italians and possibly some Moroccans/Berbers.

Battania is it's own animal.

Sturgia would of course need to differentiate more between Rus and Nords. Have the noble be Nords with Rus Princes maybe other baltic cultures, Like Lithuanians. Pechengs etc.

Special, unique culture troops is what minor factions are for. In the code comments there is something referencing minor faction hideouts/headquarters and if you look on the map heading about 220 from Iyakis you can see a pair of unnamed villages in the desert. But... they kinda screwed up the cultural uniqueness bits.

I would like to see a legitimate Nordic faction as well. I hate, hate, hate that the Sturgian special troop is mounted considering people during the Viking age would use horses to ride to battles and then dismount to fight. I would love, love, love for there to be a troop tree with Houscarls instead of mounted skirmishers. Maybe not an entire new faction but one of the minor groups. I believe there already is a Nordic inspired minor faction. Maybe even add another one to one of the Empire factions similar to the Varangian guard.

It would also be pretty badass to get a North African or Indian inspired faction with War Elephants.

I'd imagine a Japanese inspired faction with Samurai would be fairly popular as well.

Maybe even create some Aztec or Iroquois factions.
I think that they should split the Sturgian into two separate factions such as the Nords and Vaegirs. Nords get the turf they are on now and the Vaegirs get more northeastern territory . Right now Sturgia just kinda feels like an awkward mish-mash of culture.

No, there isn't a map. The regions were mentioned in devblogs years back and made their way into village description (but not towns for some reason) however at some point they dropped most mentions of them.

Special, unique culture troops is what minor factions are for. In the code comments there is something referencing minor faction hideouts/headquarters and if you look on the map heading about 220 from Iyakis you can see a pair of unnamed villages in the desert. But... they kinda screwed up the cultural uniqueness bits.
Hopefully they eventually pick this stuff back up.

Considering that there is suppose to (eventually) be a generational aspect to the game, I can see some of the WB factions show up dynamically.

For example, Sturgia's Prince, who is the son of a Nord and the reason they're part of the faction, dies. His successor, be it some snot-nosed brat of his or a nee clan, don't give the Nords the respect they deserve, so some of them stop working for Sturgia and start some raiding. Then M&B's analog to Ragnar Lothbrok is executed by the player or an NPC after capture in one of these raids, and the Nords show up Great Heathen Army style to conquer NW Caladria and form the Nord major faction, with at least part of Sturgia eventually becoming the Vaegirs.

Id say for diversity and wartime craftiness The Smurfs would be a great addition as a tribe. Those lil blue basterds (no racism) put up a helluva fight and are a well diversified group combat wise ( Brainy smurf, Psycho smurf, Smurfette etc). Of course to counter them we'd need giant cats..

Ok, now i imagine how funny it could be in game :grin:

I wish the minor factions are fleshed out a bit and that the player can join these factions also. That would be awesome, and give immersion, countless roleplaying oportunities etc.

The Skolderbrotva faction for example could give the nordic vibe I crave.

I'd include an Indian (Hindu) inspired faction - so much history and design to use. A Sub-Saharan faction could be inspired by either Ethiopia or the great West African nations, but they'd not add much that isn't there already.

Even if not included as a faction - Thugs (in the original sense - as Kali cultists) could be an interesting type of Looters or Mercenary faction.

A Maori or Meso-American version of Sea-Raiders to attack along the southern coasts would be cool too.

I'd really like to see a Ku****e-inspired kingdom. It would be situated south of the Aserai lands.

As far as minor factions go, something along the lines of proto-Tundra Bandits would be cool. Remember the Tundra Bandits from Warband? I miss them. But in this case, rather than simple bandits, they could more along the lines of "Taiga Cultists" -following some kooky quasi-religious leader or wild man of the taiga. Yeah, a group of eccentric Taiga Cultists roaming the far north sounds pretty neat.

Back
Top Bottom