Which living people will be remembered in 1000 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Adorno said:
Do they still think it's feasible? Sounds unlikely to me.
Mars One is still going with the plan, but the execution will take several years still. (Though I think I read that they have started training the astronaut teams)

Only Putin qualifies here.  :iamamoron:
Obama could make it if racial divides remain a problem. Trump could make it if there are constitutional changes around the world that prevent Trumps from being elected.
Otherwise, we live in bland, peaceful times that won't be remembered for anything else other than the internet, and the forthcoming visit to Mars (the guy/gal who steps there first would be remembered, somewhat unfairly).

Lord Brutus said:
Bill Gates will be remembered in the same breath as Adam.

Bill Gates for sure.

coeurderoi said:
i know of no one who was alive 1000 years ago, the middle ages were boring

If we're talking 1000 years ago roughly then there are a few that come to mind.
William the Conqueror, Cnut the Great, Alfred the Great, Genghis Khan, Charlemagne (maybe a bit early).

Whomstdve'''? If they were so great then why are they all dead?
If we take William the conqueror as an example, then probably some irrelevant guy being elected president of Zamibia will be remembered for some weird unpredictable reason in 1000 years

Says the guy who at the time of posting has 1066 posts on his account. Coincidence? I think not.

Stardog said:
Says the guy who at the time of posting has 1066 posts on his account. Coincidence? I think not.

whoa wtf

Stardog said:
If we're talking 1000 years ago roughly then there are a few that come to mind.
William the Conqueror, Cnut the Great, Alfred the Great, Genghis Khan, Charlemagne (maybe a bit early).

Charlemagne and Genghis Khan are separated by around 500 years. And we're closer to the siege of Vienna than Alfred the great was to the mongols.
An average Joe who lived for 60-70 years in around 1000AD might not hear of a single event which would still be relevant in a couple of centuries.

I did state that Charlemagne would probably be a bit early in this instance but I'm talking rough dates here. Very rough. The further back we go the harder it is to pinpoint anyone important without fudging the dates a bit.

Charlemagne and Genghis Khan sit on different sides of the 1000 year line though, so it isn't that extreme. We're talking around 200 or 250 years each side. Which is for sure extreme when you consider the length of a single generation, but it's close enough. :razz:

I guess if we are talking exactly 1000 years with a variance for the average life span I can really only think of William and Cnut.

Back
Top Bottom