Which living people will be remembered in 1000 years

Users who are viewing this thread

When students read history books in year 3000, which living people from our time might be featured?

Which scientist, inventor, artist and politician?

Scientist(s): James Watson for discovering the DNA (Crick has died).
Inventor: Tim Berners-Lee for The Internet, as we now know it.
Artist(s): Paul McCartney for The Beatles - or Mick Jagger for The Rolling Stones. Can't imagine any painters, sculptors or architects.
Politician: ? Perhaps Kim Jong-un if war breaks out. It's often warmongers who are remembered... But I doubt it.

Nearly anyone of any degree of importance, like having a Wikipedia article. Because this is the first generation where everything is digitally documented and will probably never be fully lost.

David Gilmour.

And Dark side of the moon will still be listened to, and so will animals, wish you were here, meddle and the wall.

Time will bring the same feelings as the epitaph of seikilos brings to us nowadays, a 2000 year old song which you can listen to in youtube, and which has a very close theme in its lyrics as that pink floyd song...

Cause if there is any band that made timeless music, its pink floyd.

Maybe you're right. I can only think of Avicenna and Cnut the Great right now, but there are certainly others.
Our time is not boring though, right? Esepcially in sciences.

MaHuD said:
Elon Musk and/or the people from Mars One.
Do they still think it's feasible? Sounds unlikely to me.

JACVBHINDS // 寒心420? said:
Probably nobody alive right now because there's no big bilateral worldwide conflict like world war II or the cold war, just a bunch of little conflicts and events which aren't the responsibility of any one person. Maybe zuqqerburg.
I wouldn't be surprised if names that are remembered in a thousand years are people that are mostly unheard of today. Their name doesn't have to persist for a thousand years of popularity, someone who has laid groundwork for some future important discovery could gain fame many generations after their time.

Adorno said:
Maybe you're right. I can only think of Avicenna and Cnut the Great right now, but there are certainly others.
Our time is not boring though, right? Esepcially in sciences.

But due to the nature of academia now it's unusual for one single person to be attributed for a big discovery in the public sphere. If you ask your average joe about important scientists, most of them will either be currently famous astrophysicists who appear on the TV, or early/pre 20th Century dudes like einstein.

All this still assumes that societies will find significance in exactly the same things as we do today, like scientific discoveries or historical parallels. An average joe from the year 1017 would probably laugh if we told him that an obscure Syrian comedy writer would still be relatively well known 1000 years later, or that a monk from Angleland would be heralded as the father of science, or that a battle in the south of france between a raiding party and the franks would become "the battle that saved europe" in ten century's time.

Ruthven said:
Related question: Any current companies/businesses that will be remembered/still around in 1000 years?
Doubt it. But we're living in the early stages of the Digital Age, so Microsoft might be remembered for spearheading the use of PC.
Coca-Cola maybe. One of the best known brands around the world. But it's just a soft drink. No one will give a ****  :smile:
Ford Motor Company will be remembered, I think. Still legendary today for perfecting the assemble line mass production.

Any authors?

Back
Top Bottom