Which leveling system do you prefer Warband or Bannerlord?

Which has the better leveling system?

• Warband

• Bannerlord

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, it's really bad as-is. They could adjust the numbers a lot and make it tolerable, but at the end of the day the "learning by doing" method just incentivizes doing things to level up your character, rather than doing things because it's actually fun to do them.

The system is good, just unbalanced at the moment. Like everything concerning the pace of the game.

In addition to leveling being easier, I think you should get attribute points every levelup as well instead of every 3.The player won't ever get to 10 in any stat at all in the current state of the system

Yeah, it's really bad as-is. They could adjust the numbers a lot and make it tolerable, but at the end of the day the "learning by doing" method just incentivizes doing things to level up your character, rather than doing things because it's actually fun to do them.

Exactly, if anything shoots this game in the foot it will be this.

Warbands system was very good, proficiencys already leveled as you used them and the players could customize their characters and companions to their desires.

It was the best one with the most possible freedom of development that i ever saw in a game.
I will never understand why this has changed.
Not all old stuff has to be good, but not every new bull**** has to be put into a game to give it a "modern" feeling.
It feels like the people who had build this never played or liked Mount and Blade before.

Only if leveling in and of itself is more of an incentive than maxing a skill. Generally the best implementations of this system avoid that - in an ideal world, once I've hit the maximum in my chosen skills there's no longer any purpose to levelling up my character because doing so won't benefit my chosen playstyle.
The issue with the system at present is that you can't top out a given skill without investing in a bunch of other skills simply to be able to raise your level to the point you can top out in your chosen skills, which forces the opposite behaviour - if I want to max my one handed, I have to invest in every other skill in order to be able to invest in one-handed.

I suspect it'd be easily fixed if they just removed the skill caps and had focus points purely increase the speed at which you gain in a given skill rather than limiting how much you can gain in the skill, and allow companions to cover for skills you don't want to invest in.

Well, the TES leveling system only sounds good in theory, but in practice it's a total grindfest, especially your non-combat skills. There's a reason why only a few titles like TES still have that. Because it sucks.

"Learning by doing" systems work fine so long as the player isn't given infinite opportunity to repeat certain tasks. Note how in warband you learn proficiency skills by doing, because you can't infinitely kill enemies, and there is a risk to yourself. Meanwhile trading, riding and other menial gameplay tasks are relegated to skills. I think this is fine, but we can do better.

What I think about RPGs is that they should try to eliminate the possibility of infinitely repeatable tasks that you can gain skills from. If you want trading to be a passively accumulating skill, make it either something you only gain when you make really good deals or run particularly dangerous routes or whatever. If you want leadership to be a passively accumulating skill, make it be something you only gain after victories against the odds, or gradually over time while you lead a big expensive army. OF course you would have to be careful not to indirectly encourage the player to spam actions, but I think it would work better than just being able to level up everything. Towards the late game when you already have all the skills you need, the level up screen is more annoying than anything.

Another system they could implement is a more ad hoc "trait" system like in total war where skills are qualitative rather than quantative, and can be lost or altered. Seeing a guy who has the traits "famed cavalry commander" or "disgraced former trader" is a lot more interesting than "STR 56 CHA 21".

No, the new system is horrible and feels like a chore.
They could have as well give us classes to choose in the creation process.

I have been trying to convince myself that I like it. But going back and playing Mount and Blade I can't understand what they were thinking here. I hope this gets changed, it's ruined companions for me at least. It doesn't feel like a Warband to me, it feels like a textbook where chapters have parts of the same information in varied and uncoordinated places.

I'm inclined to agree. The leveling has been one of the weaker points, in my perspective. How am I supposed to feasibly level something like medicine without letting my guys get annihilated to grind out healing them? How am I supposed to level something like engineering... at all, really? Even the ones that are seemingly straightforward, like weapon skills, feel like they take a really long time.

I like the idea in theory... but in practice it ends up with the player doing a hefty amount of chores that can be painfully tiring when they'd rather be beating people up and/or conquering the world.

I'm inclined to agree. The leveling has been one of the weaker points, in my perspective. How am I supposed to feasibly level something like medicine without letting my guys get annihilated to grind out healing them? How am I supposed to level something like engineering... at all, really? Even the ones that are seemingly straightforward, like weapon skills, feel like they take a really long time.

I like the idea in theory... but in practice it ends up with the player doing a hefty amount of chores that can be painfully tiring when they'd rather be beating people up and/or conquering the world.
And that is exactly the issue, this game feels like a chore. Mount and blade never felt that way ever, I am worried honesty.

I really like the system and the perks. I think it's just a matter of numbers. The requirments to lvl up are just way too high right now. And I think with this system companions should have requirments to lvl up lower than player's since it's more difficult for them.

Looking back at Warband it just seems silly now how you could get smarter by bashing heads in.

Back
Top Bottom