Which leveling system do you prefer Warband or Bannerlord?

Which has the better leveling system?

• Warband

• Bannerlord

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alrighty twenty hours in and with a level 15 character I feel like I can remark on some things. If you sit there and seriously try and harp about it is early access, I played the original game back when it was not even available on steam. If there is one thing that should be solid over the other it is how you develop your character, eight years they had to polish the thing players are going to putting the most work into.

The Leveling system is interesting since it does encourage you to develop your character outside of a specific build if you want to get those focus and attribute points faster. I think it can work over just grinding generic exp for your levels. Of course you will be grinding a lot of those lesser skills into the ground at the higher levels if you want to see that character progression.

Attributes, So all they are is just a flat exp bonus towards three skills per attributes and nothing more making them barely matter at all when you have the focus mechanic contributing to the lions share of what you want to develop the fastest.

Skills, you get em by doing stuff a lot that falls under a specific skill. Shoot stuff with bow, bow skill. Trade fat lewt, trade skill. What does it mean?

Well I am going to give you a little hit, there is this button that looks like i click the bastard and it will tell you what certain skills actually improve.

I got a few issues here.

Any path finding skill is just gone, Scouting only applies to tracking and spotting and that is it, and the perks it offers to help you move faster is a joke. Navigator at skill level 50, you get 1% percent bonus to your movement speed on the map. so you need to be moving at 10.0 to see a .1 change, **** off. Don't worry at 275 scouting skill you will get a... 3% movement speed boost, hold onto your hat boys those horses are in warp drive!

Tactics strongly favors people who just want to Auto-calc your fights all the time, there are a few nice perks in the tree though. Right now I feel like it should contribute more to morale on the field, something tangible like that for the people who don't care about the simulated fights.

Mind you leadership has the flat morale bonus on the map and that BOTHERS ME. You want to grind leadership? Get high morale! Want high morale? Get high leadership! The most I have been able to get my Morale to is 80-85 and that was after some wicked victories under my belt. Interestingly enough that was also the same point I started seeing the Leadership points rolling in. Yeah I don't know about this one at all.

Roguery is what contributes to your loot value, so if you are trying to be the good guy guess you don't to have nice stuff drop after your honorable battles! Mind you, it ONLY increases after combat loot, but you know, not actually buffing your raiding or increasing your odds into intimidating caravans to just straight up dropping their stuff and high tailing it.

Athletics only helps you be faster on foot, extra health is for chumps. All the HP gains are locked away in the perks trees and are all over the place.

I have no idea how to increase Charm yet, I tried to barter with nobles and spanked them at that weird chess type game, have not seen a point come out of it, The skill bonus is weak as hell but some of those perks seem spicy so right now it is a form of torture.

Who thought it was a fun idea to put Smithing on a cooldown? A cooldown that only recovers by waiting and not from doing other things, fun things. The person that coded that in needs a HARD slap.

Some skills you can grind super fast, I got 125 riding and 95 bow by being a cheeky horse sniper. Other skills, good luck on ever seeing you gain a single point in them. I am fully focused on Leadership and have 10 points into Social, I should be getting points like gang busters when I am over 80 morale and with a times 8 bonus. I have a leadership skill of 28 after 20 hours. What is absolutely mental about this is I have NOTHING invested into my combat. I am sitting at 2 Vigor, 2 Control and 2 endurance and my three biggest skills with no focus at all invested into them. Yet they are the skills I have earned the most points into.

That is pretty much what I got to say about how you develop your character so far, now I am going to see if I can make my character a bow god or something!

I agree, there needs to be more ways to increase the different skills.
Engineering is another skill that you will probably never skill up in anytime soon either.
I'm not even sure you can level up crossbow at all, since the only crossbow I've seen is standard crossbow worth 22k and requires 30 skill to use. (If your starting character does not have it, you cannot level it at all?)

They need to look over the entire skill tree and fix some of the redundant perks as well.
Horse riding, bow and crossbow all share 3 exactly the same perk (Allows you to use any crossbow/bow on horseback) making 1/3 of those perks completely useless.
Similarly in blacksmithing there is a perk that either gives you 1 vigor or 1 strength (a non-existant stat that, probably will crash your game if you pick it, since it will probably cause script errors)

I started working on my Smithing skill last night and it looks like it's going to be a huge grind to get it up.

If anyone has any tips for that, help a brother out.

I had the exact same experience with leadership... It's almost impossible to level up through morale. I started at 25 and reached 27 after 20 hours... Then I forced my first army and jumped to 41.. It's such a strange skill.

It really bothers me that there's no way to focus on increasing your health pool... I cannot imagine playing an infantry melee fighter in this game. I'm wearing top tier armor and I get taking down in no time the second my horse dies... Be it from being swarmed by infatry or focused by a few archers.

Many skills are so hard to gain even with full focus and max 10 attribute point
also most of high level perk did not match the effort of grind
I want little more powerful or complex perk

I started working on my Smithing skill last night and it looks like it's going to be a huge grind to get it up.

If anyone has any tips for that, help a brother out.

Don't actually make a sword. Just go for the refining. Smithing itself didn't help. Maybe later on, but for the moment I just refine and take things apart.

I had the exact same experience with leadership... It's almost impossible to level up through morale. I started at 25 and reached 27 after 20 hours... Then I forced my first army and jumped to 41.. It's such a strange skill.

It really bothers me that there's no way to focus on increasing your health pool... I cannot imagine playing an infantry melee fighter in this game. I'm wearing top tier armor and I get taking down in no time the second my horse dies... Be it from being swarmed by infatry or focused by a few archers.

It kind of makes sense that leadership should increase rapidly with army use, and only a little bit with maintaining morale, imo.

It kind of makes sense that leadership should increase rapidly with army use, and only a little bit with maintaining morale, imo.
I agree that leading an army should contribute to the leadership skill.. Of course ! ^^... What seems entirely not okay though is that leading a successful warband with 60+ morale for atleast 10 of those 20 hours led me to earning 2 skillups in leadership when I gained 50+ bow skill within my first few hours.

Don't actually make a sword. Just go for the refining. Smithing itself didn't help. Maybe later on, but for the moment I just refine and take things apart.

Interesting, I'll give this a go.

One thing with this approach is you'll miss out on learning new part components when forging weapons, but I guess I can learn them from smelting weapons too.

I agree that leading an army should contribute to the leadership skill.. Of course ! ^^... What seems entirely not okay though is that leading a successful warband with 60+ morale for atleast 10 of those 20 hours led me to earning 2 skillups in leadership when I gained 50+ bow skill within my first few hours.

I've gotten a few increases from recruiting and leveling regular soldiers as well, so perhaps that also increases. My big gripe about the leadership skill is that XP gain for troops (the old trainer skill) is gated behind 25 points into leadership. Not a big deal if you knew that before creating your character, but I tend to create warrior-centric skillsets first, so my leadership started at 15. Getting to 25 sucks.

I've gotten a few increases from recruiting and leveling regular soldiers as well, so perhaps that also increases. My big gripe about the leadership skill is that XP gain for troops (the old trainer skill) is gated behind 25 points into leadership. Not a big deal if you knew that before creating your character, but I tend to create warrior-centric skillsets first, so my leadership started at 15. Getting to 25 sucks.
I started out at 25, so luckily I never felt that pain... That said the xp you gain from the those perks are nowhere near the power level the trainer skill, it really it quite minor and you'll still be earning most of the xp through battles. I generally miss being able to focus on these things instead of relying on perks to tell me the exact amount of stuff I'm allowed to do.

hey guys does annyone know wether getting the skill to be able to use any bow on horseback is worthwhile? i havent seen any bows that say cannot be used on horseback.(Edit) also there are two skill slots one in bow says use any bow on horseback(mounted archer) and also in riding use any bow on horse (Bow expert). so i am right if i say there is no point to doing it in bow because you can just take the same skill in riding.

Last edited:
Its another dumb streamlined perk system where the perks don't necessarily correspond with the skills themselves. I just don't understand why its even in the game.

The very first horse perk gives you a choice between extra throwing ammunition or bow ammunition. Wtf?

The previous games' system was fine and allowed fine-tuned customization. This is just streamlined crap. Like Skyrim's leveling system.

hey guys does annyone know wether getting the skill to be able to use any bow on horseback is worthwhile? i havent seen any bows that say cannot be used on horseback.
If you look at a bow there are a few icons in it's statblock, one of which is a bow that indicates whether or not it's usable on horseback. It doesn't really matter much though seeing as the bows usable on horseback are just as good as the ones not usable on horseback, so unless you happen to specifcally finda bow that cannot be used on horse that is way better than any other you come across, the perk doesn't do much.

To answer your question... yes and no.. No, do not take it in the bow perk tree because you get to have some xtra arrows instead.. But yes do take it in the riding perk tree because the alternative is a crossbow feat that you won't be using if you're a bow archer

The best thing to be done is that make it so you don't lose your learning multiplier as the skill levels, and make the learning cap the hard cap until you raise it.

Right now the skills take more XP to level after each increase while ALSO reducing the multiplier, and it just feels like a double dip tax. I have no clue how long it would take to level a skill past 200, but it would be distinctly awful.

I actually like the idea of perks. Things that add features that a mere number going up cant. Using non recurve bows on horseback is an example. What I don't like are perks that ad 5% damage or "4% health" in place of a proper skill or stat that does the same.. I'm looknig at you health increase.

By the way, has anyone had any luck leveling non combat skills on your companions? I don't know how that'd even work... Several of your clan positions require decent levels in soical or management skills and I don't see any way to actually target those skills.

Its another dumb streamlined perk system where the perks don't necessarily correspond with the skills themselves. I just don't understand why its even in the game.

The very first horse perk gives you a choice between extra throwing ammunition or bow ammunition. Wtf?

The previous games' system was fine and allowed fine-tuned customization. This is just streamlined crap. Like Skyrim's leveling system.
This is harsh, but ****, I agree, at least at this point, I'd prefer the old system.
Let's hope they can turn it around...

Back
Top Bottom