Which leveling system do you prefer Warband or Bannerlord?

Which has the better leveling system?

• Warband

• Bannerlord

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I actually don't mind the fact that certain perks apply globally, or towards things not directly related to the skill. Right now, there isn't a reason NOT to level skills you don't use or focus points on, since it will still increase your level. Also, some skills just don't need heavy investment to see returns, like throwing.

Unlike warband, you don't need to invest deep into a tree to see good returns. Somethings are worth just dipping into, like trading/throwing/leadership, while others are worth going hard in for the overall character concept. Polearms +Damage to horses is incredibly useful even for those who don't mainline polearms.

So we agree that we prefer the old warband system, this one doesn't make much sense

For sure. This one is un intuitive, clunky, visually confusing, and difficult to navigate. I like other aspects of the game, but I think Taleworlds (like many gaming companies do) over thought this and made a smooth easy system into a confusing mess. It's very poorly designed.

I actually like the idea behind it, you level up skills by using them, instead of the old system where you can just suddenly grow brains out of nowhere and become a 27 INT god.

But the progress is way... WAY too slow. It needs to be dialed up to triple at the very least. No doubt the redundant perks will be found out and replaced.

I have seen my companions level their non combat skills when put in charge of their own party or trade caravan, it is painfully slow. I would really like to see the companions level their support skills much faster than what I am seeing. I had one set to me my surgeon and after many dozens of deaths they got their skill to level 5.... yaaay.

I started rolling out a few sieges finally, and other than the glacial skill rate I am really digging their new siege and army system. It actually got my blood pumping to see catapults lobbing rocks at my army!

I think a lot of the perks just need to be turned up to feel like it is an actual, you know, perk. %4 to melee damage? that is just silly.%1 to movement speed, lame. Either they change it, or they make it available for the modding community to tinker with it, that way someone will make the system more engaging that what it is right now.

Attributes should bring a bulk of stats with them because right now it is far and few between when you get them and you are going to be hard pressed to ever max out 2 or more stats. If you are a bruiser that wants to go into the front line, Vigor and endurance should be your focus for raw power and the endurance to take more than a few hits. Want to be the bowman, Control and Cunning should be the focus for pinpoint shots and a higher situational awareness (I would actually kill to see a shot lead indicator at higher skill levels.). God forbid the gameplay caters to the Leader types were Social and Intelligence is their go to and they have huge armies and have the nobles wrapped around their fingers.

Don't get me wrong, they are mixing things up and trying new stuff, the old system worked, but there was serious limitations and it was hard for people to actually code around that old system. Only a handful of mods actually tinkered with it and most of them were just plain stuck with it.

Lets not all forget that pathfinding could only speed up your army so much before it became a sluggish blob of go nowhere fast.

I actually like the idea behind it, you level up skills by using them, instead of the old system where you can just suddenly grow brains out of nowhere and become a 27 INT god.

But the progress is way... WAY too slow. It needs to be dialed up to triple at the very least. No doubt the redundant perks will be found out and replaced.

Uhh, I don't ever remember a time where I just poofed 27 INT, that sounds like a serious investment of your progress. Mind you INT was key because of the +2 skill points it brought back in the day.

For sure. This one is un intuitive, clunky, visually confusing, and difficult to navigate. I like other aspects of the game, but I think Taleworlds (like many gaming companies do) over thought this and made a smooth easy system into a confusing mess. It's very poorly designed.

It looks good, but a lot of the information could have been more up front. I think they just need to invest some more time into it to make your progress that much more rewarding.

I hate not having an option to add some free points.

I wouldn't mind if it's heavily based on this system and getting 1 or 2 points per Character level for free.

Right now I just don't feel like it's quite there yet.

I hate not having an option to add some free points.

I wouldn't mind if it's heavily based on this system and getting 1 or 2 points per Character level for free.

Right now I just don't feel like it's quite there yet.
Agreed- I think perhaps remove the focus points and keep attribute points and then have some free skill points per level instead.. something like that.

I liked Warband's system better, more flexible and allowed more freedom. However this system can be equally good with some tweaking, it has some of that rpg vibe for me.

I agree---I think TaleWorlds wanted a more advanced or in-depth approach to Character building...but instead--no one knows what the heck is going on, or how it all works. The perks seem meh to me or either too good to pass by.

I really like the idea behind the skill system, however it needs a massive rework as right now there are far too many perks that are useless and some of them are next to an actually useful perk on the skill tree.
I really don't like the strange buffs that weapons skills give either, there's no reason for a person to get extra garrison troops or lessened wages from being good at fighting with a specific type of weapon.
They should probably add another skill to every stat or something like that to make the system much more dynamic.
They should also halve or maybe even quarter the experience requirements of every skill.

I very much like the ideas behind this new system, but the way it's executed leaves much to be desired. It is very much a "diamond in the rough" kind of deal.
Well, maybe not quite a diamond, but a good idea still. :razz:
They just need to polish it. A lot.

Its another dumb streamlined perk system where the perks don't necessarily correspond with the skills themselves. I just don't understand why its even in the game.

That sums my whole opinion about this system up exactly.
Its so unnecessary.

Edit: I would really like to be more constructive in my criticism, but i already hated this kind of "gamedesign"-**** with passion when diablo 3 was released.
I see no benefit in it whatsoever, you could as well let it completly out.

Have you heard of that high elf? The guy you met back in Daggerfall, who spends his time locked inside his room grinding out his magic skills, then sleeps, then does it again until all of his skills reached level 100? You do that too in Bannerlord, because the old system is supposedly unimmersive and therefore bad. A lot of you who are into immersion disagreed with the old system. Why does hacking somebody's head suddenly makes you good at surgery, you ask? It's true, isn't it? Well, the TES leveling system only sounds good in theory, but in practice it's a total grindfest, especially your non-combat skills. There's a reason why only a few titles like TES still have that. Because it sucks.

Bannerlord doesn't have that problem you say? Try smithing. Actually, even the combat skills is a total chore to level up. Wouldn't assigning points to you and your companions pretty much make you too powerful as a player, once you know how the game works? Maybe, but your companions become more useful as they level up, because you can build them as you see fit. What's the use of companions now, if leveling them up is even more of a chore than leveling up yourself?

I know a lot of people will bash me for this, but really, falling into this TES 'immersive leveling system' meme is a sign that the developers would rather us build the character with some quick level up exploits, and by meticulously finding out what exactly makes each of your skill increases, rather than just building your character as you play them.

1. Increase the speed characters level/skill up
2. Buff the perks so they actually become an important part of your play through instead of something you can for the most part ignore/do without.
3. Add more perks, especially ones that make characters feel more unique the higher up the skill line you get.

Last edited:
The current system is horrible, characters don't feel distinct from each other, compared to Warbands system. Warbands system was very good, proficiencys already leveled as you used them and the players could customize their characters and companions to their desires. There is very little difference between dudes right now, I guess the perks should be giving the flavor to them, but they are pretty uninspired in most cases and don't seem to be relevant to the skill they are tied to. Doesn't help that you gain xp so slowly that you don't even get in to the later perks.

Back
Top Bottom