Which factions has the best type of units?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey all,

Couldnt find a quik anwser to this so I figured id make a new thread for it.

What faction has argueably the best unit type? And with that I mean, which one has the best archers. Which one best shield-wall line troopers etc etc.

Back in warband I knew each faction and what unit was good and which ones werent but most factions seem abit more balanced atm and I havent seen THAT many outliers yet, but feel like im overlooking something. For example empire has every type of unit (as far as I can see) but only 1 tier in elite catathract. And most of the other units have 130 as their highest skills so no uber units there as far as I can see.

Speaking of elite tier 6 units.I havent found a good way of getting those juicy tier 6 units :roll: have any tips for that as well?

If you look at the portraits of the people you recruit from in villages it will say if they are infuential, powerful etc. If they are powerful you can recruit nobles from them.

Imo the only clearly best unit is Battanian fian champions as archers and Khan's guard as horse archers. Cavalry you can make a case for both elite cataphract and banner knights

Infantry is currently kinda **** no matter the tier, they are only there to protect the archers. Don't invest too much time getting an elite infantry section, they won't win you the battle

There is no faction with "the best" units. Empire have the most balanced roster but their best units are usually not the best in their class. Exception are their sword/shield melee infantry that is as good as Sturgian equivalent. Still, if you want all out good army, Empire is safe choice.

Generally speaking, other then that, Vlandia have best heavy cav, Sturgia best 1H infantry, Batania best bowmen, Kuzaits best horse archers and Aserai best 2H.

Note also that some units in the game have their stats misplaced at the moment, so take above with pinch of salt. Also some "best" units are part of the noble troop trees and are harder to recruit, therefore fact that Batania have best archers in the game does not mean that Batanian armies are going to be best in archery.

Does anybody tried to form a full(or almost full) archer army. Im wondering wich faction is the best at ranged and also meele combat(fian champions are perfect )but they are not good at meele fight as much as they good at bows

I can only comment from my own experience & playstyle. I'm much more familiar with Vlandia Empire Battania than Sturgia Khuzait, with Aserai somewhat in the middle. Not only because I like using their units in my own party, but also because Empire Battania & Aserai have been my most frequent enemies as well.

Infantry: Imperial Legionary, with Vlandian Sergeant a close second. (note: specific to shield+1H style...I don't use 2H/polearm non-shield inf).
Archers: Noble: Battanian Fian Champion. Common: Imperial Palatine Guard.
Crossbows: Common: Vlandian Sharpshooter. (afaik there's no "noble-line" crossbows").
Cavalry: Noble: Vlandian Banner Knight or Imperial Elite Cataphract.
Horse Archers: Don't know, don't use 'em. But I'm sure it's gotta be Khuzait, no?

-------------

List provided in direct answer. But to expand for a complete answer: I don't think it really matters that much. I perceive that the quality gap between "best" and "worst" faction versions of same-tier/type troops is narrower in Bannerlord than it was in Warband. For example, I use Imperial Legionaries and Vland Sergeants for my infantry, but also have no problem supplementing them with Battanian Wildlings too. And if an Aserai shield+1H prisoner wants to join up with me, sure, no problem. I like Vlandian Sharpshooters for crossbows, but am happy with Imperial/Merc crossbows too. If circumstances dictate I need to recruit in, hypothetically, Aserai lands instead of back home in Vlandia/Empire area, yeah, I know I can build a great party there too, and their inf/ranged/cav will perform probably not that much worse; not enough to really worry about, anyway. (the one exception might be the Batt Fian Champ archers...those guys are just ridiculous, lol).

-------------

Re your last question: Noble-line troops (which culminate in T6 at top end) are found in villages, provided (sometimes, not guaranteed) by Powerful Landowners. Cannot be found in cities. Cannot be offered by mere regular/influential landowners. And cannot be offered by village headmen, whether powerful or not. So those persnickety Family Feud and Find Daughter quests? Absolutely worth doing if offered by a powerful landowner.

Does anybody tried to form a full(or almost full) archer army. Im wondering wich faction is the best at ranged and also meele combat(fian champions are perfect )but they are not good at meele fight as much as they good at bows
Fians are very good at meele as long as they're not overwhelmed (good luck with that). I tried an army of only fians, it was so op I had to quit after an hour or so

Really depends the situation, I love having 200 cavalry as I can usually take on armies of 500 and win, but if my horse archers get stuck in a village battle, I have to force them to dismount otherwise I cant take on 200 infantry as they get swarmed. I also find my cavalry lancers get crushed charging especially the vlandian and aserai polearm dudes. If taking down a city, I try use either fian or palintine guards and the Sturgian infantry with their awesome shields in a shield wall. The defenders will ignore long range targets for closer targets allowing you to wipe out 100 archers before the battle even begins.

Empire definitely has the best all around. Legionaires and palatine archers I would onsider just under the best. Triariis are legionaires with thrown weapons i think they are best infantry but hard to get. Imperials heavy cav and horse archer are also really good. The only thing they fall short on is polearm infantry. Vlandia definitely has the best polearm department. While Aseri have best basic anticavalry infantry.

Fair enough. Why I began with my reply with appropriate qualifiers and listed factions with which I was more/less familiar.
Some gys tested all tier units 250 v 250 and strugian vets and shock tropps bet the crap out of everyone.Only gegionaires was able to hit the back. So it was 50\50. But the rest of their units are just awful.

So yes. Empire is the best all around faction.

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of a good way to get vigla recruits and hastati (if thats possible? Havent seen a single one ingame yet....) with battle attrition its very rare for me to get one to top tier and it would be nice to have a decent force of elite catathracts!

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of a good way to get vigla recruits and hastati (if thats possible? Havent seen a single one ingame yet....) with battle attrition its very rare for me to get one to top tier and it would be nice to have a decent force of elite catathracts!
You can find vigla recruits in villages or towns eventually. Only way to get the Hastati right now is taking them prisoners and then recruiting them.

You get "noble" recruits such as vigla from powerful landlords in villages, the other is from legion of the betrayed a mercenary group, you can often find them as prisoners

You get "noble" recruits such as vigla from powerful landlords in villages, the other is from legion of the betrayed a mercenary group, you can often find them as prisoners
But the best way is to get 125 leadership and get them from bandits

But the best way is to get 125 leadership and get them from bandits

I actually don't think that empire noble troops upgrade from any bandit lines. Looters become empire infantry, but hillmen become vlandian knights, forest bandits become fians, sea bandits become druznikhs, steppe bandits to kahn's guard, and desert raiders to faris.

Not a big deal unless you are trying to play a factional purist admittedly. I tried with battania, but the siren call of banner knights from the 100 or so prisoners I captured was too sweet a sound.

imperial T5 crossbows have hickory xbows shown on them, so not weak, what I dont know is vland xbow. Their armor is worse.

Sturgs ... veteran is ok, shock troops had 100 skills max I wonder, if its fixed yet, normal T5 units have 130 skills.

I can only comment from my own experience & playstyle. I'm much more familiar with Vlandia Empire Battania than Sturgia Khuzait, with Aserai somewhat in the middle. Not only because I like using their units in my own party, but also because Empire Battania & Aserai have been my most frequent enemies as well.

Infantry: Imperial Legionary, with Vlandian Sergeant a close second. (note: specific to shield+1H style...I don't use 2H/polearm non-shield inf).
Archers: Noble: Battanian Fian Champion. Common: Imperial Palatine Guard.
Crossbows: Common: Vlandian Sharpshooter. (afaik there's no "noble-line" crossbows").
Cavalry: Noble: Vlandian Banner Knight or Imperial Elite Cataphract.
Horse Archers: Don't know, don't use 'em. But I'm sure it's gotta be Khuzait, no?

-------------

List provided in direct answer. But to expand for a complete answer: I don't think it really matters that much. I perceive that the quality gap between "best" and "worst" faction versions of same-tier/type troops is narrower in Bannerlord than it was in Warband. For example, I use Imperial Legionaries and Vland Sergeants for my infantry, but also have no problem supplementing them with Battanian Wildlings too. And if an Aserai shield+1H prisoner wants to join up with me, sure, no problem. I like Vlandian Sharpshooters for crossbows, but am happy with Imperial/Merc crossbows too. If circumstances dictate I need to recruit in, hypothetically, Aserai lands instead of back home in Vlandia/Empire area, yeah, I know I can build a great party there too, and their inf/ranged/cav will perform probably not that much worse; not enough to really worry about, anyway. (the one exception might be the Batt Fian Champ archers...those guys are just ridiculous, lol).

-------------

Re your last question: Noble-line troops (which culminate in T6 at top end) are found in villages, provided (sometimes, not guaranteed) by Powerful Landowners. Cannot be found in cities. Cannot be offered by mere regular/influential landowners. And cannot be offered by village headmen, whether powerful or not. So those persnickety Family Feud and Find Daughter quests? Absolutely worth doing if offered by a powerful landowner.

Your list is pretty right on except because of your unfamiliarity with the Khuzait you missed them. For the Khurziat, it is the Noble: Khan's Guard. I guess you could call them Horse Archers but they also wield a a glaive which makes them very effective at melee combat at well. I personally feel they are the best overall unit in the game though the Fian Champion gives them a run for their money.

Has anyone tried out Khuzait or Aserai infantry much? I'm curious on how they are for my next playthrough and haven't fought them much this one.

Also, does anyone use 2h troops? Are they worth grabbing and sticking in their own formation?

Back
Top Bottom