Which factions are .. which?

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveDaDude said:
As a avid Rhodok fan, who has studied the architecture and dialogue history of this faction... i would say that they are based on Northern Italian countries

So they clearly are. The crossbowmen have taken direct influence from the famous Genoese crossbowmen. "Namely republic, in truth a kingdom" -scheme can be derived from the transition of Roman Republic to Roman Empire, or any power struggle in which nobility took over in the Italian merchant republics. Then again, as said, their technology doesn't seem very advanced, and they've only recently become independent, so it's not a complete copy+paste of the region.

Want to know what vaegirs are? Go to Russian forum and ask there. Everyone will tell you Vaegirs are typical Slavs. But more western Slavs which are Poles, Slovaks and Czech. Rus (Russians) have had strong heavy (boyars) and later light (cossaks) cavalry.

I really can't see the Rhodoks as Italian, being that Suno's pretty clearly Rome from the way Firentis talks about it.

Velead said:
I really can't see the Rhodoks as Italian, being that Suno's pretty clearly Rome from the way Firentis talks about it.

Id say that the Empire Calradia split from, was Rome, and Suno is Paris

well there is something you're ignoring about Rhodoks. Italians had some of the heaviest and best armors during those ages yet they have none. In taht case they should have been sharing some of the armor used by Swadians.

It was probably another thread about the origin of the factions where I mentioned it, but I finally found the quote by Armagan about Rhodoks. So, if you take his word for it,

They are like.. Swedish.. maybe Ireland or some Italian. Highland people.

it was over MSN so you won't find it on forums. If you don't believe me, ask Maelstrom. If he's not eaten by the bugs :sad:

Magirot said:
Then again, as said, their technology doesn't seem very advanced, and they've only recently become independent, so it's not a complete copy+paste of the region.

Siege crossbows are the most advanced tools to kill fellow humans, Bunduk is a rhodok guy and he talks about the high quality crossbows of Jelkala, Swadia has only heavy crossbows.

Velead said:

When you are near Veluca Ymira will tell you her story about her youth there and describes Veluca as a mediterranean city.

Dogukan said:
well there is something you're ignoring about Rhodoks. Italians had some of the heaviest and best armors during those ages yet they have none. In taht case they should have been sharing some of the armor used by Swadians.

Nords are based in scandinavians yet the scandinavians used cavalry too so they are not a historicaly accurate copy, they were just the basis to the M&B Nord faction.
Rhodoks are based on italians but you cant forget game balance, if you give heavy armor to the Rhodoks they will become more powerful in foot combat than the Nords.
(actually Rhodok Sergeants are very well armored.)

Merlkir said:
It was probably another thread about the origin of the factions where I mentioned it, but I finally found the quote by Armagan about Rhodoks. So, if you take his word for it,

They are like.. Swedish.. maybe Ireland or some Italian. Highland people.

it was over MSN so you won't find it on forums. If you don't believe me, ask Maelstrom. If he's not eaten by the bugs :sad:

Splendid, the mediterranean city theme, the velvet and the wine excludes the Swedish and the Irish origin so the remaining Italian is the winner. :smile:

duracell said:
Velead said:

When you are near Veluca Ymira will tell you her story about her youth there and describes Veluca as a mediterranean city.
I'm well aware of this, yeah. As does Firentis describe Suno. Olives and such. He also says "here, more then anywhere else in Calradia, do we hold to the ways of the old Calradic Empire." Or, something like that. I'll get the actual quote later.

Well, no. I probably won't, to be honest. I'm kind of lazy.

Velead said:
duracell said:
Velead said:

I'm well aware of this, yeah. As does Firentis describe Suno. Olives and such. He also says "here, more then anywhere else in Calradia, do we hold to the ways of the old Calradic Empire." Or, something like that. I'll get the actual quote later.

Well, no. I probably won't, to be honest. I'm kind of lazy.

The Rhodoks are based on the Northern Italian City States. The Mount and Blade Verse of Rome which is the City of Calrad according to the original mount and blade would be further South. Suno could be one of the many Northern capitals, during when the court of the Emperors abandoned Calrad, during the last years of the Western Calradian Empire

According to story lore the Rhodoks split from the Swadians. In my opinion the Rhodoks were based off of ancient Greece. The Greeks used Hoplite and were known to have crossbows, furthermore Athens was the birthplace of democracy, and the Rhodoks speak about a constitution and voting for their leaders (until king Graveth took over). Also from the mount and blade wiki "The Kingdom of Rhodoks resembles the various Mediterranean groups like the Italians or alpine Swiss, and possibly Greek or Spanish principalities and city-states during the Middle Ages and is referred to as a 'confederacy' occasionally."

On the Vaegirs, they are not Byzantine as some people say, in the game the Nords and Vaegirs are personal enemies, the Rock of Rivacheg, according to Alayan, is where they held off Nord attacks for years. Also their location, the only snow covered area of the map, much like Russia makes them look much like Kievan Rus.

The Swadians. Based off of Germany, there is a cavalry unit called the "Schwaben" in German, which translates to Swabians in English. They also are based on the the French to some extent. The French were famous for their crossbows, it was the French, with a crossbow, managed to kill King Richard the Lion Heart. Let us also not forget the names of their lords, Ryis, Haringoth, Despin, all sounding quite German/French.

ThorofAsgard said:
The Greeks used Hoplite and were known to have crossbows,
:???: What the hell? They even used bows well into the 15th century, and crossbows weren't a preferred weapon (seems to be rare there and then). Crossbows + pavise (board) shields = medieval Italian.
And the Rhodok spearmen do not resemble Hoplites or are in any way related or inspired to or by them. Hoplites were heavy spearmen using the round shield (the Hoplon), and the Rhodok ones are more like the Italian city troops or militia of their medieval city states.

much like Russia makes them look much like Kievan Rus.
Yeah. So  say 9 out of 10 people here. Nothing new.

there is a cavalry unit called the "Schwaben" in German, which translates to Swabians in English
You know, a whole part of Germany is called "Schwabia" (or Swabia in English). It was quite important in the middle ages, and in the Renaissance many Landsknecht mercenaries came from there (the Swiss sometimes even referred to Landsknechts as "Swabians").

Let us also not forget the names of their lords, Ryis, Haringoth, Despin, all sounding quite German/French.
Not quite.
Totally NOT.
Just random names, almost all in-game NPC names sound like that.

I must disagree when it comes to that, if you investigate it, most factions do have a certain way of naming. Haringoth for example sounds either German or English.
Ragnar sounds very Nordic methinks.
Buth Ryis and Despin are indeed rather random, like many names.

I know the Greeks used bows, but they also had large siege weapons, not handheld, I messed up on the Swabians, and yes, most lords are random name, but Ryis sounds French to some extent. The Rhodoks do resemble the Italian city states and Ancient Greece, and even though the Rhodok spearmen do not use Hoplon, yet aside from that they are quite similar.

The Rhodoks are quite obviously based off of mid-late medieval Italians, from the look of their armor to their oversized shields and crossbows.

ralfis said:
Im pretty sure Swadians are...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swabia
When the Roman Empire split into two in fourth century AD, the Western Half became the "Holy Roman Empire" and the Eastern Half became the Byzantine Empire. The Byzantines were more Greek then Roman, they employed both mercenaries from Kiev Rus and Norway as well as their own troops. Their Capital was Constantinople (Istanbul). The Byzantine Empire was dissolved after Constantinople fell during the Fourth Crusade. Remnants of it though, including the Empire of Trebizond (Fredrick is trying to ship the Trebizand Empire) survived much later into history.
The Holy Roman Empire was a group of countries, including modern day England, France and Germany. The Swadians are named after Swabia, which would later become a part of Germany, and its troops are based off of French, Germany and England.

Back
Top Bottom