Which faction was more important in the Coalition Wars? Austria or Spain?

Users who are viewing this thread

kalitorian

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Some people (all of them are from spanish regiments) say that the Spanish were more important in the Coalition Wars then Austria...
i would say Austria is more important..so tell my your opinion

If anyone of you have wandered into the 'List of Regiments' thread, you would have probably seen the discussion that's going on. Lets move it here, shall we?

To sum it all up, they are discussing wheter Austria, or Spain was the most important doing the Napoleonic wars. It was probably the poll in the thread that lead to the discusssion. Austria have less votes than Spain, many belive this is 'stupid' as they think Austria played a much bigger role in the Napoleonic wars. (The discussion have evolved into a mix between this, and how the war was fought.)

I here by declare this discussion open!

Yes, of course, Austria didnt even have any troops down there  :lol:

yes, this both wars, the wars between austria (and his allies) against france is another as spain (with his allies) against france, but didnt is the Peninsular war in the Napoleonic wars?
Of course it is. So which faction is more important in the WHOLE war?

The faction whos at the beginning in the war or a faction who never really fought.

Yesh, though I think the people who voted for Spain belive that 'they' opend a second front, they did, but the brits did the most part, if you ask me.

Both lands had one thing the same, Spain had an Alliance with France, and later (not long and not really an alliance) Austria had an "kind of" Alliance with France. And both end up in war.

But then as well Spain's population fought against the French, even when the Spain didn't had a real organised army, their people kept fighting the French, The Austrians made peace as soon their Capital got take over, or they lost some battles.

So ye... I think Spain fought "better" as an country against France.

My opinion tho

@Mikkel yes you understood me.... (omg i hate to speak/write english ...) uhm i think both nations are important but austria is a little bit more important in the whole war.

They did more. They fight more. They lost more. The died more. They did more in the war as spain.

I think in this order what factions should be make; Austria, Spain (or iberian empire (i know but its better than portugal once ^^)), "Rheinbund", Italy, than some factions who are pretty important but not for the napoleonic war; Ottomans and Sweden.

@gokiller they only wanted peace because they wanted to organize them army new ^^

Uhm this is a bit off-toptic. But the Ottomans did more then the Italians did. (as small nation) it wasn't in Europe but the ottomans did fought against France, and later against Russia with France. Sweden the same, these were Major nations, the small ones shouldn't be, but like only one troop. As like Polish Lancers/infantry for France and Italion and more just special units. Not entire factions for such a small countries

and yes Austria is better knowed overall with units and more. They took part of famous battles. But ask yourself. What If Austria didn't took part on some important battles? Then it would be just as we see Spain in that time.

*Reney, that makes me go for the Spain, they Continue with fighting even they didn't had that much money, or anything like that. But it was the population. That fought, the Austrians got "payed" by the British

I have to repeat that both where at the beginning of the war,  in the middle and at the end. For example when we were allied of France after the first coallition we loan troops to France and they were at Denmark. After the revolt against France of th 2nd May, they tried to leave Denmark and fight in Spain. Only a few regiments couldnt leave Denmark they were required to fought against Russia and Austria and they were decorated with the Legion d´Honeur.

The thing that im trying to say is that both are important in the whole Napoleonic Wars and (persisting in the Historical record) they were at war against France when all this started.

gokiller said:
*Reney, that makes me go for the Spain, they Continue with fighting even they didn't had that much money, or anything like that. But it was the population. That fought, the Austrians got "payed" by the British

Thanks for understand a little these situation.

I have been thinking and I think that when you say that we were allied with Napoleon all the time its because you are thinking in his brother, when he was ruling in Spain

Ottomans and Italians .... what more important .... mhmm .... ottomans in egypt and italy in europe :wink:

Austria maked the most diplomatic during the napoleonic wars, austria came to late by the battle of waterloo.

In Austria there lived; Slavs, Hungarians, Pols etc. so there will be come more regiments then spain.
Some Southgermans would make a austrian regiment.

@Mitchel we could discuss this until the ending of the poll, i only wish me a draw in this voting so they must make both nations :grin:

Pointing out there that the Italians fought for France.. As their "Puppet" they didn't had their own large scale army. Like the Swedish/Ottomans did. That actually could take part of an battle (Sweden Dresden, Ottomans Battle of Pyramids)

@gokiller Mh yes i know but there are some italish (right?) regiments so ... and i think they dont want to fight for the nation france they want to fight with their own nation under france ^^

@mitchel a draw would be perfect, i could say it so; the german regiments are for austria, the austrians are for austria,  spanish guys are for spain, british regiments are for both sideds, and some people vote for both sides ^^

It´s so ... so ... spectacular ^^

Austria is by far more important in the napoleonic wars. Austria was at war with France for the longest amount of time of the continental powers, and they rose again and again. In 1809 austria had the third largest army in the world for instance. I believe that this discussion would be far more interesting if the Spanish importance was to be compared to that of Prussia, because Prussia was arguably a minor nation during a large part of the napoleonic wars, and one has to keep in mind that Britain greatly subsidised the prussians as well.

That's why i'm saying.... -.- Just one single unit. Into the French faction. Instead of making an entire new Faction...

You should be aware how long it takes to model (and find) the right models for an new Entire faction,

Back
Top Bottom