Which Faction Needs the Most Love and Work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Is it really possible to give each empire separate troop trees without causing save compatibility issues? If they go for it, say bye to your saves. I personally wouldn't mind tbh, and I am actually working on separate troop trees for a mod.

It would be more fun if the Empires had some more evocative names. I would be curious to hear ideas for them though.

That aside though, there needs to be more noble civilian clothes for the factions. Walking into keeps to see a raggedy Vlandian lord is immersion breaking. At least here, the Empire has some noble outfits.

Is it really possible to give each empire separate troop trees without causing save compatibility issues? If they go for it, say bye to your saves. I personally wouldn't mind tbh, and I am actually working on separate troop trees for a mod.

It would be more fun if the Empires had some more evocative names. I would be curious to hear ideas for them though.

That aside though, there needs to be more noble civilian clothes for the factions. Walking into keeps to see a raggedy Vlandian lord is immersion breaking. At least here, the Empire has some noble outfits.
Early access is the right time for these save-breaking changes if they are needed.

About naming convention for the empire maybe they could change "imperial" this or that to "Calradian" like Calradian Militia, Calradian Menavliaton, Calradian Legionary etc? the faction names i'm cool with being southern/northern/western empire, would be cool though if the name changed to Calradic Empire once one of the imperial factions conquer the other 2 (or get close to it) representing the restoring of it's legitimacy.

Empire factions really need some love, like giving each faction at least 1 unique soldier with their own troop tree.
But i guess the Devs consider them to be finished sadly.

I like the Empire being one culture, in fact I think they are missing more elements of commonality. For example: which is the capital of the Empire? Which of the three factions is holding it? Surely this would be hugely important symbol-wise, and the holder would be in some ways the "legitimate" emperor at the beginning of the game. If it changes hands, the holder can claim to be the legitimate Emperor instead.
What they could do for differentiation is maybe separate troops a bit, like add 1-2 distinct units, especially towards the higher tiers.

I like the Empire being one culture, in fact I think they are missing more elements of commonality. For example: which is the capital of the Empire? Which of the three factions is holding it? Surely this would be hugely important symbol-wise, and the holder would be in some ways the "legitimate" emperor at the beginning of the game. If it changes hands, the holder can claim to be the legitimate Emperor instead.
What they could do for differentiation is maybe separate troops a bit, like add 1-2 distinct units, especially towards the higher tiers.
At the moment the Capital is where the current Emperor power base is... The old capital is Pravend ( Baravenos), probably razed or most of the city destroyed during the war which allow vlandians build on top. The EMpire in terms of culture is fine, what they need is their old power back, the "balancing" made on them, screw them up

Think the game is quite Balanced.

Khuzait seems like balanced now, their Horse Cavalry after 2/3 round fell fatigue and goes slower ( is that my impression).

Vlandia :, armour on the Sergeant is not the top, only 35 protection for the main infantry, cannot keep the confrontation with Legionary or various Skirmisher from Battania. Also Voulgier it's weird, has got the Voulge polearm, one H sword and another 2 H sword, but he as not shield, why having so many weapons like this?

Battania: so many people complaining cause no archers, but it's only because they want hire them, I think they are balanced atm.
Otherwise Battania in my latest games have the tendency to snowball.
Has got a solid shield wall of skirmisher and 2 HUGE block of cavalry in the both sides always.

Sturgia need help.
Has got the Heavy Axe man, the second best infantry units for me, and... stop.
Cannot play all the time of testudo, i'ts hard. The archers aren't good, and could be ok if their cavalry works.
Ok they have the Sturgian Dunkirk, a good elite cavalry like Banner knight and Cataphract, but rest an elite one, also if in the latest patch finnaly I founf more Vigla recruit who become Dunkirk after.
The standard one, is a skirmish cavalry who does not work,.
Could be good if the way to throw the javelins were improved. Also the horse seems like more fragile for being a northern horse.
In this way the result could be to occupy and engage enemy troops meanwhile infantry advance more cover.

Empire: the problem of the empire is that in the lore they are divided in 3 realms.
Each one say they has the right emperor, in this the result are to be more week for continue war between each other.
But on the paper for example, I consider the Legionary the stronger unit of all game, if compare with the winners of their own respective category.

Aserai: Aserai is ina particular situation, I think the Mameluke palace guard could be little bit improve by adding some armour.
For example they does not have any shoulder protection. Aserai has got good archers and a well shielded infantry, but needed an unit who can help to decided the outcome of a battle if well used.

Mercenary: could be interesting improve them and make them better, I found them often in the tavern of every city, but units like cavalry and Hired Blade are nothing interesting.
This could be nice for add variety and something more real to the variety and compostion of an army in game.
Also minor mercenary faction could be improved, or by equipment or skill, not only cause I when my prisoner I can recruit them, but also for add more difficulty and balance to the game.
Some of their tier 4 are like my tier 3, and same for tier 5, are more a tier 4.

One think to consider in the game is the position of each realm.
The most easy to defend are Vlandia and Khuzait, cause positioned in the extreme border, and can declare war to an enemy per time.
Empire is in the middle so sorrounded from everybody.
Aserai same way have fight on west often vs Empire,Vlandia and Battania.
On the East engaged by Souther Empire and Khuzait.

Ofc all of this are suppositions by my modest experience on this game. I played so much hours and I'm going to be to play more again.

Thank you

Empire factions really need some love, like giving each faction at least 1 unique soldier with their own troop tree.
But i guess the Devs consider them to be finished sadly.
agreed, some variation between the empires would be highly appreciated. I want different board games too. Chess is a huge missed opportunity imo

My main concern currently is faction flavor.
Kuzait is OK, and maybe Battania has a unique flavor, the rest of the factions play very similar to each other. This is actually a step back compared to Warband.

Think the game is quite Balanced.

Khuzait seems like balanced now, their Horse Cavalry after 2/3 round fell fatigue and goes slower ( is that my impression).

Vlandia :, armour on the Sergeant is not the top, only 35 protection for the main infantry, cannot keep the confrontation with Legionary or various Skirmisher from Battania. Also Voulgier it's weird, has got the Voulge polearm, one H sword and another 2 H sword, but he as not shield, why having so many weapons like this?

Battania: so many people complaining cause no archers, but it's only because they want hire them, I think they are balanced atm.
Otherwise Battania in my latest games have the tendency to snowball.
Has got a solid shield wall of skirmisher and 2 HUGE block of cavalry in the both sides always.

Sturgia need help.
Has got the Heavy Axe man, the second best infantry units for me, and... stop.
Cannot play all the time of testudo, i'ts hard. The archers aren't good, and could be ok if their cavalry works.
Ok they have the Sturgian Dunkirk, a good elite cavalry like Banner knight and Cataphract, but rest an elite one, also if in the latest patch finnaly I founf more Vigla recruit who become Dunkirk after.
The standard one, is a skirmish cavalry who does not work,.
Could be good if the way to throw the javelins were improved. Also the horse seems like more fragile for being a northern horse.
In this way the result could be to occupy and engage enemy troops meanwhile infantry advance more cover.

Empire: the problem of the empire is that in the lore they are divided in 3 realms.
Each one say they has the right emperor, in this the result are to be more week for continue war between each other.
But on the paper for example, I consider the Legionary the stronger unit of all game, if compare with the winners of their own respective category.

Aserai: Aserai is ina particular situation, I think the Mameluke palace guard could be little bit improve by adding some armour.
For example they does not have any shoulder protection. Aserai has got good archers and a well shielded infantry, but needed an unit who can help to decided the outcome of a battle if well used.

Mercenary: could be interesting improve them and make them better, I found them often in the tavern of every city, but units like cavalry and Hired Blade are nothing interesting.
This could be nice for add variety and something more real to the variety and compostion of an army in game.
Also minor mercenary faction could be improved, or by equipment or skill, not only cause I when my prisoner I can recruit them, but also for add more difficulty and balance to the game.
Some of their tier 4 are like my tier 3, and same for tier 5, are more a tier 4.

One think to consider in the game is the position of each realm.
The most easy to defend are Vlandia and Khuzait, cause positioned in the extreme border, and can declare war to an enemy per time.
Empire is in the middle so sorrounded from everybody.
Aserai same way have fight on west often vs Empire,Vlandia and Battania.
On the East engaged by Souther Empire and Khuzait.

Ofc all of this are suppositions by my modest experience on this game. I played so much hours and I'm going to be to play more again.

Thank you
Says the factions are quite and then proceeds to explain why they aren't.

On a serious note, I'll go through what you are saying.

Khuzait. I don't think it works like that, and even if it did the problems of their autocalc supremacy remains.

Vlandia. Voulgiers are indeed bizarre. Their two handers serve no purpose besides making them weaker in close combat when their voulges should be their main weapons.

Battania. Yes, people want the archer faction to have more readily available archers. I don't see how that's an issue. And I don't even think the devs intend for Battania to snowball with a cavalry army to rival the Khuzaits. That absolutely does not fit their lore. And their two shield troops are overly similar, they need to be more distinct.

Sturgia. Horse Raiders are actually solid cavalry, and help carry Sturgia along with Druzhinniks. You might be sleeping on the Heroic Linebreakers though.

Empire. I don't quite follow.

Aserai. The Aserai are actually alright sort of. They could use with more helmets though, almost their top tier troops all wear the same damn thing now.

Mercenaries. Yeah, all agreed. Mercs and minor faction troops don't offer ****.

Thematically and culturally, I think all factions have done a good job. Their lands, troop trees, scenes, music, bandits etc, are in harmony.

If I were to point one faction, I would say Empire. I am not saying make all three totally different but little nuances here and there would help to add more personality to them.

Some examples are
* Distinct ruler behaviors
* Maybe little differences in let's say only one unit for each of three factions, like NE being better in cavalries
* Additional game mechanics when 3 Empire factions are doing war/peace/trade between themselves or with other factions. Currently, an Empire faction is no different than any other faction in terms of game rules. Can't think of solid ideas at the moment but it should matter when the faction being dealt with is Empire. The game (on store descriptions) is featured based on the Empire story-wise so mechanics-wise they need more flavor, color, and stuff going around.
This.

The three Empire factions could atleast have one unique nobel unit each. One could be cavalry, one Xbow and one have like super awesome skirmishers! I dunno...
also 3 unique tavern games. One is the current one, one is chess, and one is... checkers or something. But come one, you have to have chess in this age when it's so freaking popular!!! And empire is based on engineers/intellect, so come on... must have some good strategic games!

If there is one man that reminds me of chess, that is definitely Artimenner. He would love chess.

Last edited:
So what I understand is major factions in bannerlord is like a bunch of scene groups snap shots imitated from history. In this way I find most of them is generally well defined.

Aserai seems a bit lose focus, I didn't get the same level of unique feelings from others. I do know the camels yes.
Empire as three parts however is completely the same. I think the legionary theme of it make it the easiest to catch. Also like there is actually in set lore regionally and locally already. Maybe just some different armor choice or mixed unit like how the local culture blend. Also hard to miss the auxiliary right since we clearly talking about Romans here.

The main thing tho to me is the Minor Factions. What about them so? I seem some really cool theme from them thank you. They kinda in a shelf right now. Also their position is abit confusing, not sure they are supposed to be what kind of character in faction game. I mean they are basically just mercs right now.

Last edited:
This is a bit subjective, but IMO: Battania and Empire
  • Battania: Unshielded infantry is very situational as long as archers are so dominant, so what we are left with at T5 are two infantry units and two mounted units that are functionally identical. In addition, a cavalry focus does not seem to fit their theme at all. Replacing the mounted raider with an archer would IMO be a very good change
  • Empire: Empire currently for me has a strong "master of none" feeling. Legionnaires are very solid vs other infantry, but do not have spears for anti-cav (since they throw their pila), which hurts their viability in my eyes. Cataphracts seem very solid, but I can't seem to ever recruit any. And the rest of the units for me fall in the category of "Mostly OK, but another faction has a better unit of the same type". For crossbowmen I would rather have vlandians, for archers and mounted archers azerai and khuzait. Perhaps the menavliaton could be their "thing", since a lot of armor would most benefit an unshielded unit, but again, unshielded infantry just seem too weak in general ATM.

If people think the name "Empire" is too non-descriptive, use Calradian. "Calradic Empire" is the name of the realm, and instead of using "Imperial Archer" you can use "Calradian Archer." Done and done, and it fits in just fine with the existing lore (including the new Bannerlord lore which call the Imperials the Calradoi or Calradians).

I think the worst is the Empire. Their three kingdoms act like separated factions, but they're almost the same in everything. I wish they were more different in aesthetics and military.

I agree with you here. I mean the concept of a "Split" empire is kind of cool from a lore perspective but I also think that a split empire would result in a split in military doctrine with each empire faction having certain "preferences". For example, Lucon is a politician while Garios is a General and Rhagaea is just the wife of the previous Emperor. It stands to reason that they would each have their own perspective on how the military should be organized and thus there should be at least some variations in each of their troop trees. Too me the fact that all three Imperial factions are the same just comes off as the developer being a bit lazy.

On the other hand, something like this could made for a very good mod. Maybe make Garios troops very similar to Rome's professional Army, while Lucon uses something closer to an all volunteer army like Athens since he is a democratic type of leader and and Rhagaea has a army more similar to feudal armies since she would obviously be more focused on the nobility being in power.

As far as the armies themselves you have to look at them from two perspectives, AI vs AI and AI vs Player. In AI vs Player there is no doubt the Khuzaits are OP on a unit for unit bases. I can't win against the Khuzaits with another factions army in an equal number battle even with my armies damage taken set to 2/3rds. AI vs AI the Battanian's can't seem to hold their own for some reason. Maybe it is the whole whole Archers as nobles only thing, maybe it is because they are such as infantry heavy faction. Khuzaits are OP against everyone in AI vs AI as well though I have a theory on why that is.

My theory on the Khuzait OP thing and maybe also way Battania seems to always get wrecked has to do with each factions movement speed on the campaign map. Khuzaits are always faster so only have to fight when the engagement favors them. Same might be happening with the Battanian in reverse, they are often infantry based so they are always slower than the other factions.

Battania in terms of lack of archers
Battania not having archers in their regular tree is a good thing. The factions in the game already feel very similar in terms of what their armies can do. Battania not having normal archers is one of the only things that makes them feel unique as a faction.

Battania not having archers in their regular tree is a good thing. The factions in the game already feel very similar in terms of what their armies can do. Battania not having normal archers is one of the only things that makes them feel unique as a faction.
I completely agree with this. Troops lines of factions are already similar enough. Diversification is good.

Back
Top Bottom