Which 3 major features from Warband or Devblogs do you want the most in Bannerlord?

Which 2 of these singleplayer features do you want the most? (You can choose TWO)

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Given the history that we can already look at and the statements made before, we can assume with certainty that we won't be getting jack****. No offense Duh if you're reading.
To end it on this note, there is no history that points to that. Post-release content has been released before, such as VC and NW. We know literally nothing about what TW may do following the release of BL, we can only speculate.

To end it on this note, there is no history that points to that. Post-release content has been released before, such as VC and NW. We know literally nothing about what TW may do following the release of BL, we can only speculate.
You need to take a look at their more recent history, not their ability to release DLCs made by external developers. They have a more recent history of not delivering on time and cancelling features promoted in their devblogs. Their most recent feature announcement, the battle maps, was announced in February and despite the impression that this is something mostly done and would be released soon (or why would they announce it), we still haven't seen anything in August, that's half a year and ONE feature. That's how bad it is. Whatever they promise for the post-release future will be vague and late, because they won't suddenly change their PR and development habits. (With the exception of externally-developed DLCs.)
We know enough by now to make educated guesses that are not just idle speculation.

or why would they announce it
Quite simple really. Because people ask us to share information about the things that we are working on (which I'm sure you are aware of). We do so once we have a reasonabe degree of certainty that the feature / content will be completed without too many deviations from its original announcement.

Even for the battle terrain system, I recall posts that were asking for an earlier announcement yet.
A plea to Taleworlds ,

As I woke up this morning, I watched the latest Development Diary and I was really pleasantly surprised. But should it have been such a surprise?

No, it shouldn't.

I had no idea at all that the battlefield terrain system was even close to completion... none of us did. None of us had a clue it might be introduced in the next major patch.
Similarly, I have been longing for some new scenes (Towns and castles for MONTHS) and I had no idea that some were close to being ready....

Can I suggest that the community really should have been informed that such things are coming soon? (Further in advance of their introduction to the game)

Why?... Well... if the community had known that these features were close to being put into the game.... then the whole community would not have been so negative over the last weeks.

Anyways, let's do some forum & chill breakfast :smile:

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 10 - Materialistic Approaches 20 Mar 2015
  • This blog mainly talks about the negotiation panel we have. This panel is implemented, but features mentioned in this blog were not. Terms like peace treay, ransom prisoner, kingdom rank(tbh, this is what lacks in kingdom system, not negotiation/diplomacy),
  • and the most important
    The sandbox AI can use the barter system just like the player.
    At least I have never seen NPC doing that by now.
  • Players can barter for peace with minor factions & kingdoms when they are not in a kingdom. Kingdom-To-Kingdom diplomacy is using the kingdom decision system.
  • Prisoners can be ransomed through barter, they can be sold off or donated, the AI also uses notifications to make offers to players in this regard.
  • The sandbox AI can and does use the barter system to interact with other AI clans within a certain range of themselves (iirc regarding the range part).
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 11 - Some Context 11 Aug 2015
  • All of the siege weapons are placed freely by the players, so there is full control over how to assault the walls. Once the siege begins, the player can also order troops to change what they're doing on the fly, throughout the battle.
    Implementation of the delopyment part depends on how you define "placed freely", or more specifically, "freely". Yes we can "freely" choose spots for deploying siege engine, but the spots are fixed. The second part is obviously, not implemented yet.
  • You can place siege weapons pretty much as shown prior to release f.e. here (2016) -
  • You can give orders to your troops (assuming you are the encounter leader) throughout the siege.
  • Graphically, we have made huge strides here, to improve the look and feel of Calradia. Though there are also some significant gameplay changes evident here. Castles are now fully integrated with villages, which means that settlement produces goods and has economic impact. The four sides of a village can all be made into different types of production, with the unique option of turning one into a castle.
    Village management is not implemented. The idea of village-castle integration looks cool, and is a good simulation of fedual time, not sure if this is discarded, from video provided in this blog, this feature has been already implemented.(Discarded, see below the first entry of 2018 August-January 2019 part) Also in the same video, the building management system looks more free and controlable, though settlement attribute part has been extended.
  • As noted, this was dropped and announced as such pre-release.
  • A village with a castle is naturally much more defensible, but the slot is sacrificed that might have been used for something valuable like a salt mine. All of these are reflected on the world map as well, as can be seen in the video.
  • What's really interesting is that AI Lords start new projects and modify their villages over time, just like the player. So during a long playthrough, the face of the map and nature of various settlements can change significantly, in ways that are fully dependent on the current economic and political situation of the NPCs and their factions.
  • By assigning the work allocation of the village, you can adjust how fast projects are completed, as well as the tax and militia levy from villages. Though all of this has an effect on morale and neglecting your peasants can lead to serious complications in the long term.
  • Guess I don't need to say much about the above quotes, obviously not implemented.
  • This seems appended to the previous point but let's go over the principle mechanics
    • Village icons exist and reflect (alongside the newly introduced production icons) what a particular village produces
    • While the management was shifted to the center level rather than individual villages, settlement projects exist, affect the settlement and are purchased / upgraded by AI settlement owners.
      • Some of the projects do affect the settlement icon on the world map
      • Players can affect the order & speed of project construction through the town management, investing resources and (iirc) assigning governors
      • Player decisions affect loyalty and security & can lead to serious complications (starvation / rebellions)
      • We intend to explore improvements to the current system
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time 21 Dec 2015
  • Taking the icons as an example, it is now possible to see what a village produces by looking at its icon. These change dynamically over time to reflect different production facilities constructed in the village, or additions of buildings like castles.
    If village management is not implemented, apparently all following features can not be implemented.
  • More indirect benefits can be received by, for instance, aiding a bandit group near to the fief of a rival noble from the same faction, trying to limit their income and gaining a leg over them in the faction standings.
    This sounds GREAT! But not implemented yet
  • Economy describe in this blog is implemented, though looks weird. Like Every town can have and only have 3 workshop, owner cannot manage workshop but only pay salary and take profit. Furthermore, in current game if you appoint a companion to complete quest for you, they will simply disappear from the game with troops you give him/her, then return later with profit, this will, apparently, disrupt how the economy system work.
  • Just like above, village map icons reflect their production. This was further enhanced by production icons.
    • Of course, they do not change over time (beyond us switching things around in patches).
  • "Aiding a bandit group near to the fief of a rival noble from the same faction" - This depends a lot on how you read it.
    • Intervening in an encounter on the side of the bandits and against an allied lord // Very unlikely.
    • An issue quest that may benefit gang leaders or bandits in the area if completed // Gang leader ones exist and more are certainly possible
      • Notables like gang leaders can support clans, which should benefit the local town security/loyalty and also generate some influence for the supported clan. Lowering the power of according notables (by choosing to solve quests against them, buying up their workshops, destroying their caravans) until they are despawned would remove these benefits. The issue being that this isn't communicated to players currently.
    • Some dedicated / direct way to boost bandits in an area // Unlikely.
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 14 - Destructible Merlons 1 Jul 2016
  • Mostly implemented, but one thing want to mention: defense that armor can provide in the corresponding video look ****ing better than what we have now
  • Not much to respond to here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Armies & Influences 5 Oct 2017
  • If you are an army commander you can click on a portrait to talk with a lord and give them a task to perform, such as scout ahead, bring food, bring reinforcements, bring horses, etc.
    Not implemented.Eventhough this feature has simpler implementation in Warband.
  • I remember discussing this with Mexxico and I think he may have talked about it on the forums as well. Very basically, it was a choice between improving the existing Army AI or pretty much reworking it entirely to introduce a new feature with uncertain outcome. After some exploration that further clarified the scope of the work, we ended up going with his recommendation - the former.
  • TLDR - This one was dropped.
Q&A with Steve Negus 18 Jan 2018
  • alternately, for a player to appoint lots of companions to lordships.
    Obviously not implemented. As far as I can remember, this is also an implemented feature of Warband. Also, in current game of Bannerlord(1.5.6), we can see that player are allowed to appoint party roles for family troops other than the one led by player, but we can not have multiple companions in one sub-troops, appointment here can also be a good feature.
  • There have already been developer posts about this noting that it's being worked on.
  • The second part wasn't discussed in the blog from what I can tell, but we are chatting about it. Personally, I don't think it's a high priority addition relative to other outstanding features.
Siege Engine 29 Mar 2018
  • Prices of goods significantly rise as materials begin to run low, and eventually, the defenders can be starved into submission.
    This may not be able to be defined as a "feature". Just want to mention here, in current version of game this is nearly imposisble to happen.
  • It's in the game.
    • Balance can happen though I don't think starvation is that rare.
    • This seems more like a suggestion / feedback than "this is missing".
Productive Enterpries 10 May 2018
  • Players can enter a town and walk around to find their preferred location for their business from a number of different rentable buildings. Not only does this help us to achieve our aim of improving the overall immersion of the game, but it allows us to expand on productive enterprises as a gameplay mechanic as a whole.
    True in Bannerlord player has to enter the city and talk to NPC if we want to own a workshop. However, currently this has no effect on any other aspect of the game, the only effect is force player to enter the city. TBH, if this part continue to be like this, I'd like to say returing Workshop-purchasing-procedure to Warband fashion would be better.
  • It's in the game.
    • Workshops do affect the local economy as well.
  • Having various locations for productive enterprises in each town means that players and AI lords can establish multiple businesses, which actually has a wider implication than it may seem at first glance. By allowing both players and AI lords set up multiple businesses in a single town, they can act in direct competition with each other and have a negative impact on each other's profits. This can be quite useful if you already have a reliable source of income and you want to ensure that a rival lord doesn’t gain a financial upper hand, but it can be quite a nuisance if you are struggling to make ends meet and production is halted because your business can no longer turn a profit. Likewise, crafty players can monitor what businesses their rivals own and buy up any raw materials or flood the local market with crafted goods to influence market prices, effectively putting a choke hold on rival operations.
    I don't think in current version of Bannerlord AI lords would open their own workshop. And when the pre-requisite is not implemented, of course the following part cannot be true.
  • This was clearly shifted from AI lords to AI notables.
    • As noted above notables in turn affect settlement & ai nobles.
    • Workshops also affect the local economy and thus taxes.
  • The market mechanics described here are in the game and possible in principle. AI owned workshops can go bankrupt and would then replaced by another notable's business. Admittedly, it is much easier for the player to get rid of them by simply purchasing them.
Horses 17 May 2018
  • " Players can equip their horse with different types of saddlebags, harnesses or armour, which modifies the stats of the horse. " Harnesses and armor looks like integrated into the current horse armor we have now; but saddlebags is missing, this looks good, like we may have horse to carry more ammo.
  • There are saddle bag type "harnesses" in the game, but I am not sure if players can purchase them on the market and don't think they benefit your carrying capacity (which is the effect I associate with things like "Mule Harness with Bags".)
    • Will inquire about it / suggest the effect
    • They do have an armor rating aka modify the stats of the horse / mount
Campaign Map 21 Jun 2018
  • This leads us on to possibly the coolest change we have made with the campaign map: the city icons on the world map now visually represent the actual city scenes. This means that, given some time, seasoned players will be able to recognise a city just from its map icon alone. Likewise, players will be able to see what kind of resources a village produces and the level of a castle’s walls visually represented on the campaign map.
    At least I'm not capable of doing what this diary describe.
  • All of this is in the game. We continue to improve the icons as well. Both for towns and villages (as noted twice already).
Q&A with Ozan Gumus 12 Jul 2018
  • Some strategies, like leaving soldiers behind to run away from strong parties also make men unhappy. When you enter a battle with troops who have low morale, after taking some casualties your men can lose their courage and start to flee. This means that a battle can be lost even if most of your troops are still alive. These deserting troops go on to form a new deserted party on the campaign map which the party leader can no longer control. Thankfully, there are lots of different ways to keep party morale high!
    Currently the moral and deserter system does not look like working as expected. Also, deserter troops does not exist at all, and again, this is a feature Warband have.
  • It doesn't work like warband, yes. Ultimately, though, troops flee from battle and those that do escape in the mission go on to flee on the worldmap.
    • I believe lord party troops are exempt from this currently, because they probably were unhandled when this was first introduced. I will bring this up and see if we can have them act as "disbanding" parties such as what happens when a party leader dies of natural causes.
Questions from the Community 6 Sep 2018
  • Can we still build castles in villages we own?We had to drop that feature. At some point in development, fief management became too complex, with towns, castles and villages each having their own specific management screens. The ability to build castles in villages also gave rise to complex rules. For example, demolishing the castle in a village could potentially revert the village to another kingdom and we had to add complex logic to handle that. Overall, we felt that the design had become too bloated and unappealing.
    The solution was changing the status of villages so that they would no longer be considered independent fiefs but were always attached to a castle or town. This removed the necessity to have a management screen for villages and simplified and streamlined the system. The aesthetics of our new villages is also much more pleasing.
    Ok now we can see that the castle-building feature is actually discarded, but I don't understand why. Guess mainly AI issue, as we can see, the current AI of Bannerlord is, unfortunately, terrible. In addition, even though village-castle transfer may be hard to handle for TW, why also discard the fief and village management system?The fief management system we have now is rigid,boring and lack depth. Hopefully both features will come back in the future, or at least the management system.
  • Pre release clarification that it won't be in the game. Not much to add.
Quests 20 Sep 2018
  • But that isn’t to say that your actions in these quests don’t impact on the game world: they most definitely do! In fact, many of the quests you will be offered are generated as a direct response to a situation that is currently happening in the game. If a group of bandits are prohibiting trade in an area and have established a hideout, then you might be asked to dispatch the bandits by a local notable. Clearing the bandit hideout won’t just net you a bit of extra spending money and positive relations with the person who issued the quest: trade will flow more freely in the area, which in turn will have a positive effect on the local economy.
    I can't tell if this true in current Bannerlord or not. Somtimes looks true, other times not.
  • It's true and in the game. Issue generation is based on settlement & character conditions. Active issues negatively affect the involved location / character. Issue resolution (success or failure) have another set of effects for the involved location / character.
    • The given example with the freely flowing trade goes beyond that, though. It concerns how bandit parties are spawned - which is based on active hideouts. So that is more of an organic effect of clearing hideouts rather than of the issue / quest itself.
Kingdom Management 4 Oct 2018
  • In this screen, you can lend your support for one of the clans to become the leader of the faction
  • Faction leaders are able to assign objectives to the armies through this tab, giving players greater control over the strategic aspects of warfare in the game.
    Don't think these 2 points are true in current Bannerlord.
  • You can donate influence to another clan in your kingdom.
  • You can grant a fief to another clan in your kingdom as a king.
  • You can set war stances in the diplomacy screen as a king.
Map Design 8 Nov 2018
  • As we design the layout of each town, we tend to divide them into recognisable districts, so that players can develop an instinct for where they can find what they are looking for. This isn’t so much a rule that is set in stone, as we want to stay fluid in our approach to level design, but all of our work on these scenes share similar design principles.

• Marketplace - This is where most goods are traded. If you are looking for a shiny new helmet, supplies for a campaign, or perhaps some barding for your horse, then the marketplace will be your first port of call. The marketplace is also where you will find the local blacksmith, where you can design and craft your own melee weapons.
    • Slums and backstreet - Dangerous places where smugglers and bandits gather to make money by illegitimate means, diminishing the resources and taxes of the town.
    • Keep - Where you can find the nobles and governor of the town (as well as the prisoners!). One day, this is somewhere that you will hopefully get to call home.
    • Military district - This is where the town guards and garrison gather, and where troops can be trained. Also, this is where the town’s stockpile is located to be used in times of need (such as a defensive siege).
    • Tavern - This is where adventurers and drunks alike gather to share stories over a mug of mead. Some revellers are just a nuisance, others are sellswords that will fight for the right amount of money, and a rare few are companions that will follow you in your ambitions and help you to achieve your goals.
    [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]

Q&A with Gunduzhan Gunduz 29 Nov 2018
  • as we have to include areas that players can reach and explore, such as taverns, shops, blacksmiths and arenas. We also have to make these scenes siegeable, and of course, these scenes can be upgraded, so we have to ensure that they can be assaulted at each different upgrade level (1-3).
    Not sure if this can be called a feature or not, but together with the previous entry, we can see that city design does not work as expected.
  • All of this is in the game.
Settlement Projects 6 Dec 2018
  • With the massive increase in settlements that we have in Bannerlord, we felt that having to micromanage settlements all the way down to the village level would, over time (as your territory grows), become overbearing and tiresome to manage.
    So I guess this is the reason why village management and castle-building are cancelled? Does not sounds reasonable to me. At least better than the current rigid and boring fief management system. In addition, we do have village management in Warband and village can be rewarded to lords as individual fief, did anyone here feel annoying about that?(Besides things like fighting hard to take a city but only get a village as reward.:unsure:) Furhtermore, if villages are and only are attachment of castle/city, how to achieve the saying" A vassal of a vassal is my vassal ". If there are only king and direct vassal of king exist in game, obviously this situation can not be successfully simulated.
  • Seems to cover the same point as previous village / castle fusion & village upgrade points. This was dropped pre-release and shared in the linked blog.
Q&A with Selim Cam 13 Dec 2018
  • Currently my main focus is on the Children feature we've recently announced. To be more specific, the transition of babies into childhood and children into adulthood, where they will be positioned, how the player will interact with them etc. Besides that, I'm doing some adjustments to the Barter feature.
    Sounds like family/education system, a feature we need but not here currently.
  • If you are not really into fighting, you can play more like a trader than a warrior, establishing productive enterprises,
    I don't think we can establishing productive enterprises by now. TBH, do we have any control over workshop currently? Besides purchasing workshop and selling workshop to others?
  • It's in the game.
  • Finally, the game tracks most major events, and if you can remind the Countess that the king you want her to betray murdered her cousin, or passed her over when last handing out fiefs, that will make your task much easier.
    I don't think we have this kind of events currently.
  • This did not make it into the game as described. Various events do affect relations, which in turn influence defection persuasion, but, to my knowledge, this does not include referencing specific events during persuasion itself.
  • The persuasion system is often a gateway that leads you into the barter system.
    Not sure if this is my fault, but I have never seen this happen.
  • Defection
  • Marriage
Q&A with Bahar Sevket 17 Jan 2019
  • Previously, a player who besieged a castle had to select what they wanted to build from a number of engines, one by one. Recently, however, we introduced a new tactics feature. Now, the player will select one of the siege tactics available and will get a preloaded waiting list for siege engines that are useful to the selected tactic. The player will be able to start the bombardment as soon as any machine is finished and will be able to start damaging the defences of the town/castle even before starting the siege mission (battle).
    What we have know is called "previously" here.
  • This was dropped in favor of the more interactive & worldmap-integrated system you see in the game now (and was shown pre-release at the GamesCom 2018 ).
    • The tactics were 3(?) menu options that initiated the automated construction of siege machines (much like the first iteration of siege machine building - just less micro / control for players). So we don't have "what is called previously here" and I would argue that the current system is an upgrade over both prior iterations.
    • AI still uses these tactics.
  • “We are currently working on something we call settlement issues. They represent conflicts in a settlement between NPCs, or general problems that may arise. These events will pop up randomly during the game and they will affect the properties of a settlement (prosperity, morale, etc.). The player will have to find a solution to that problem in a specific timeframe using whatever means they can. Issues may lead to different quests or may encourage players to make changes to their current management style.”
    Sounds like how companion system work in Warband, we don't have this in Bannerlord by now.
  • Issue Quests are in Bannerlord and weren't in Warband.
  • Companion complaints are in Warband and Bannerlord both.
Crime and Punishment 7 Feb 2019
  • Don't even need to read this entry, the title is sufficient to reach conclusion: Not Implemented.
  • This is in the game.
    • There is a crime rating per kingdom map faction.
    • It is increased by criminal acts (coercing villagers/caravans, etc.) and quests (including smuggling).
    • Depending on the crime rating, the player will face different consequences such as being blocked from entering settlements or having war declared on them (CR > 60).
    • Players can pay for their crimes - and must do so or face corporal punishment (of which they can die) if CR is high and they are caught.
      • Players can use influence to deal with this in the kingdom they are a noble in.
  • This was in the game from the beginning of EA.
Siege:Keep Battle11 Apr 2019
  • And in Bannerlord, where villages and their respective resources are tied to castles, this is especially true, as the loss of a castle could result in the loss of a vital resource which is needed to feed the war machine.
    In current version of Bannerlord, does castle produce anything? Like, anything???
  • It pretty clearly denotes that the villages produce the resources but because they are tied to castles, a loss of the castle would lead to the loss of the resources.
  • however, in some instances, this isn’t enough to claim a castle outright. The defenders may rally what is left of their forces and retreat to the relative safety of the keep to make their last stand. In this week’s blog, we will discuss what happens in this exact scenario by taking a look at the tail end of sieges; the final push to capture the keep and secure, kill, or drive out the last remaining defenders.
    This is discussed about in the most recent patches, not implemented currently, but likely to be implement in the future.
  • It's been recently released - it's in the game.
Q&A with Rabia Adiguzel 18 Apr 2019
  • And another example; we already have quests and town management, but they are separate features as RPG and strategy elements. We implemented a tiny connector named “Issues”. When there is an “Issue” in a settlement, the settlement's morale, food, prosperity, etc. decreases. If the player wants to solve this issue, he/she solves it with a quest. With this system, quests are not just an RPG element anymore and take on more of a strategic element.”
    I don't this is true currently. What we have now is like here comes a quest, if you do not solve it, you will have penalty on prospersity/security/loyalty growth. And you can hardly tell whether the quest comes because of something is happening on the campaign map or not. A successful implementation of this is supposed to be like here comes a quest due to something happened on the campaign map, if you dont solve it, there won't be pre-defined numerical penalty on settlement attribute, but the consequence of unfinished quest will cause the settlement attribute to shrink. For example, when you did not complete a caravan escort quest when there are lots of bandits around your settlement and the merchants has already lost many caravans, the settlement won't have numeric penalty pre-defined by developer on attributes, but the lack of goods will cause the prospersity to lower. Hopefully my description is clear enough.
  • Seems like a repetition of an earlier point.
    • It's in the game.
    • Issues are generated based on world conditions.
    • Effects are split into "active issue" and "issue resolution".
      • The actions taken or not taken by players can have an organic positive effect additionally to the issue effects (f.e. clearing hideouts / conquering settlements / providing food / etc)
  • We have different types of production in the game, like different types of horses, fish, cheese, grain, etc. Villages can choose between a range of these village production types, but the distribution of these production types is based on the region of the village. For example, villages near the sea or a river can produce fish, but an Aserai village that is in the desert can not.
    I don't think we have this currently. First, we can not do anythign about village production. Second, village normally only produce one kind of goods(besides foods), which is listed on the description of village.
  • This was likely dropped alongside or at least for the same reason as other village management options. I don't think we will see something like this (it seems counter to the "micro-management" point that was shared).
Economy and Trade 25 Apr 2019
  • I have to say features related to military described in this entry does not look implemented by now.
  • I am not too sure what exactly he is referring to here. Assuming it is about "strategic resources" affecting settlements and f.e. militia - that is in the game (some effects may have shifted though). The problem is one of communicating that mechanic in the game.
Campaign Logistics 9 May 2019
  • This entry decribe features that have already been introduced at 5 Oct 2017, not implemented.
  • Many of the mechanics noted on here work as described (armies sharing food f.e.). However, it does repeat the prior point of army detachments - which were dropped as discussed above.
    • The other mechanic I can tell was shifted are tools and siege weapons. Ultimately, perks won out for enabling more advanced siege weapons and it wasn't desired to force players & AI to pursue several requirements to build them. Still, I personally think there is a place for tools to speed up the construction. Yet another suggestion to be made.
Executions 7 Jun 2019
  • I have never tried execution in Bannerlord by now. May someone tell me if this entry have anything left unimplemented?
  • Executions are in the game, but currently the chance for AI to execute the player is near 0.
Sieges: Part1 4 Jul 2019
  • You can attack the besiegers right away, and in general, the forces in the town will sally out to join the fight, and together, you may hopefully overwhelm the attackers.
    At least I have never seen garrison join this kind of fight.
  • AFAIK you need to be the encounter leader for the siege (depends on "sergeant score" which looks at your kingdom rank aka king/lord, who the owner of the settlement is, how many troops were brought, clan tier, etc.). If you are not, you cannot force the leader to sally out and you will fight alone.
Siege:razz:art 3 26 Sep 2019
  • AI behaviour described here is too good to be true in current version of Bannerlord.
  • In principle, this is how the AI works in sieges (3 lanes, trying to match the enemies distribution of forces, being able to automate or listen to player, etc.). Of course, sieges are not in the place both players and us would like them to be in and we continue working on rectifying that.

Edith - Fixed some typos and formatting. Added a couple more points that I missed over before.

Last edited:
Quite simple really. Because people ask us to share information about the things that we are working on (which I'm sure you are aware of). We do so once we habe a reasonabe degree of certainty that the feature / content will be completed without too many deviations from its original announcement.

Even for the battle terrain system, I recall posts that were asking for an earlier announcement yet.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 10 - Materialistic Approaches 20 Mar 2015
  • This blog mainly talks about the negotiation panel we have. This panel is implemented, but features mentioned in this blog were not. Terms like peace treay, ransom prisoner, kingdom rank(tbh, this is what lacks in kingdom system, not negotiation/diplomacy),
  • and the most important

• Players can barter for peace with minor factions & kingdoms when they are not in a kingdom. Kingdom-To-Kingdom diplomacy is using the kingdom decision system.
  • Prisoners can be ransomed through barter, they can be sold off or donated, the AI also uses notifications to make offers to players in this regard.
  • The sandbox AI can and does use the barter system to interact with other AI clans within a certain range of themselves (iirc regarding the range part).

• Implementation of the delopyment part depends on how you define "placed freely", or more specifically, "freely". Yes we can "freely" choose spots for deploying siege engine, but the spots are fixed. The second part is obviously, not implemented yet.
  • You can place siege weapons pretty much as shown prior to release f.e. here (2016) -
  • You can give orders to your troops (assuming you are the encounter leader) throughout the siege.

• Village management is not implemented. The idea of village-castle integration looks cool, and is a good simulation of fedual time, not sure if this is discarded, from video provided in this blog, this feature has been already implemented.(Discarded, see below the first entry of 2018 August-January 2019 part) Also in the same video, the building management system looks more free and controlable, though settlement attribute part has been extended.

• Guess I don't need to say much about the above quotes, obviously not implemented.
  • This seems appended to the previous point but let's go over the principle mechanics
    • Village icons exist and reflect (alongside the newly introduced production icons) what a particular village produces
    • While the management was shifted to the center level rather than individual villages, settlement projects exist, affect the settlement and are purchased / upgraded by AI settlement owners.
      • Players can affect the order & speed of project construction through the town management, investing resources and (iirc) assigning governors
      • Player decisions affect loyalty and security & can lead to serious complications (starvation / rebellions)
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time 21 Dec 2015

• If village management is not implemented, apparently all following features can not be implemented.

• This sounds GREAT! But not implemented yet
  • Economy describe in this blog is implemented, though looks weird. Like Every town can have and only have 3 workshop, owner cannot manage workshop but only pay salary and take profit. Furthermore, in current game if you appoint a companion to complete quest for you, they will simply disappear from the game with troops you give him/her, then return later with profit, this will, apparently, disrupt how the economy system work.
  • Just like above, village map icons reflect their production. This was further enhanced by production icons.
    • Of course, they do not change over time (beyond us switching things around in patches).
  • "Aiding a bandit group near to the fief of a rival noble from the same faction" - This depends a lot on how you read it.
    • Intervening in an encounter on the side of the bandits and against an allied lord // Very unlikely.
    • An issue quest that may benefit gang leaders or bandits in the area if completed // Gang leader ones exist and more are certainly possible
      • Notables like gang leaders can support clans, which should benefit the local town security/loyalty and also generate some influence for the supported clan. Lowering the power of according notables (by choosing to solve quests against them, buying up their workshops, destroying their caravans) until they are despawned would remove these benefits. The issue being that this isn't communicated to players currently.

• Not implemented.Eventhough this feature has simpler implementation in Warband.
  • I remember discussing this with Mexxico and I think he may have talked about it on the forums as well. Very basically, it was a choice between improving the existing Army AI or pretty much reworking it entirely to introduce a new feature with uncertain outcome. After some exploration that further clarified the scope of the work, we ended up going with his recommendation - the former.

• Obviously not implemented. As far as I can remember, this is also an implemented feature of Warband. Also, in current game of Bannerlord(1.5.6), we can see that player are allowed to appoint party roles for family troops other than the one led by player, but we can not have multiple companions in one sub-troops, appointment here can also be a good feature.
  • There have already been developer posts about this noting that it's being worked on.
  • The second part wasn't discussed in the blog from what I can tell, but we are chatting about it. Personally, I don't think it's a high priority addition relative to other outstanding features.
  • Siege Engine 29 Mar 2018

• This may not be able to be defined as a "feature". Just want to mention here, in current version of game this is nearly imposisble to happen.
  • It's in the game.

• True in Bannerlord player has to enter the city and talk to NPC if we want to own a workshop. However, currently this has no effect on any other aspect of the game, the only effect is force player to enter the city. TBH, if this part continue to be like this, I'd like to say returing Workshop-purchasing-procedure to Warband fashion would be better.
  • It's in the game.

• I don't think in current version of Bannerlord AI lords would open their own workshop. And when the pre-requisite is not implemented, of course the following part cannot be true.
  • The market mechanics described here are in the game and possible in principle. AI owned workshops can go bankrupt and would then replaced by another notable's business. Admittedly, it is much easier for the player to get rid of them by simply purchasing them.
Horses 17 May 2018
  • " Players can equip their horse with different types of saddlebags, harnesses or armour, which modifies the stats of the horse. " Harnesses and armor looks like integrated into the current horse armor we have now; but saddlebags is missing, this looks good, like we may have horse to carry more ammo.
  • There are saddle bag type "harnesses" in the game, but I am not sure if players can purchase them on the market and don't think they benefit your carrying capacity (which is the effect I associate with things like "Mule Harness with Bags".)
Campaign Map 21 Jun 2018

• At least I'm not capable of doing what this diary describe.
  • All of this is in the game. We continue to improve the icons as well. Both for towns and villages (as noted twice already).

• Currently the moral and deserter system does not look like working as expected. Also, deserter troops does not exist at all, and again, this is a feature Warband have.
  • It doesn't work like warband, yes. Ultimately, though, troops flee from battle and those that do escape in the mission go on to flee on the worldmap.
    • I believe lord party troops are exempt from this currently, because they probably were unhandled when this was first introduced. I will bring this up and see if we can have them act as "disbanding" parties such as what happens when a party leader dies of natural causes.

• Ok now we can see that the castle-building feature is actually discarded, but I don't understand why. Guess mainly AI issue, as we can see, the current AI of Bannerlord is, unfortunately, terrible. In addition, even though village-castle transfer may be hard to handle for TW, why also discard the fief and village management system?The fief management system we have now is rigid,boring and lack depth. Hopefully both features will come back in the future, or at least the management system.
Quests 20 Sep 2018

• I can't tell if this true in current Bannerlord or not. Somtimes looks true, other times not.
  • It's true and in the game. Issue generation is based on settlement & character conditions. Active issues negatively affect the involved location / character. Issue resolution (success or failure) have another set of effects for the involved location / character.
    • The given example with the freely flowing trade goes beyond that, though. It concerns how bandit parties are spawned - which is based on active hideouts. So that is more of an organic effect of clearing hideouts rather than of the issue / quest itself.

• Don't think these 2 points are true in current Bannerlord.
Map Design 8 Nov 2018

Not sure if this can be called a feature or not, but together with the previous entry, we can see that city design does not work as expected.
  • Seems to cover the same point as previous village / castle fusion & village upgrade points. This was dropped pre-release and shared in the linked blog.

• Sounds like family/education system, a feature we need but not here currently.
  • It's in the game.

• Not sure if this is my fault, but I have never seen this happen.
  • Defection
  • Marriage

• What we have know is called "previously" here.
  • This was dropped in favor of the worldmap-integrated system you see in the game now (and was shown pre-release at the GamesCom 2018 ).
    • The tactics were a menu option (much like the first iteration of siege machine building). So we don't have "what is called previously here" and I would argue that the current system is an upgrade over both prior iterations.

• Sounds like how companion system work in Warband, we don't have this in Bannerlord by now.
  • Don't even need to read this entry, the title is sufficient to reach conclusion: Not Implemented.
  • This is in the game.
    • It is increased by criminal acts (coercing villagers/caravans, etc.) and quests (including smuggling).
    • Depending on the crime rating, the player will face different consequences such as being blocked from entering settlements or having war declared on them (CR > 60).
    • Players can pay for their crimes - and must do so or face corporal punishment (of which they can die) if CR is high and they are caught.
      • Players can use influence to deal with this in the kingdom they are a noble in.

• In current version of Bannerlord, does castle produce anything? Like, anything???
  • It pretty clearly denotes that the villages produce the resources but because they are tied to castles, a loss of the castle would lead to the loss of the resources.

• This is discussed about in the most recent patches, not implemented currently, but likely to be implement in the future.

• I don't this is true currently. What we have now is like here comes a quest, if you do not solve it, you will have penalty on prospersity/security/loyalty growth. And you can hardly tell whether the quest comes because of something is happening on the campaign map or not. A successful implementation of this is supposed to be like here comes a quest due to something happened on the campaign map, if you dont solve it, there won't be pre-defined numerical penalty on settlement attribute, but the consequence of unfinished quest will cause the settlement attribute to shrink. For example, when you did not complete a caravan escort quest when there are lots of bandits around your settlement and the merchants has already lost many caravans, the settlement won't have numeric penalty pre-defined by developer on attributes, but the lack of goods will cause the prospersity to lower. Hopefully my description is clear enough.
    • It's in the game.
      • The actions taken or not taken by players can have an organic positive effect additionally to the issue effects (f.e. clearing hideouts / conquering settlements / providing food / etc)

• I don't think we have this currently. First, we can not do anythign about village production. Second, village normally only produce one kind of goods(besides foods), which is listed on the description of village.
  • This was likely dropped alongside or at least for the same reason as other village management options. I don't think we will see something like this (it seems counter to the "micro-management" point that was shared).
  • I have to say features related to military described in this entry does not look implemented by now.
  • I am not too sure what exactly he is referring to here. Assuming it is about "strategic resources" affecting settlements and f.e. militia - that is in the game (some effects may have shifted though). The problem is one of communicating that mechanic in the game.
  • This entry decribe features that have already been introduced at 5 Oct 2017, not implemented.
  • Many of the mechanics noted on here work as described (armies sharing food f.e.). However, it does repeat the prior point of army detachments - which were dropped as discussed above.
    • The other mechanic I can tell was shifted are tools and siege weapons. Ultimately, perks won out for enabling more advanced siege weapons and it wasn't desired to force players & AI to pursue several requirements to build them. Still, I personally think there is a place for tools to speed up the construction. Yet another suggestion to be made.
Executions 7 Jun 2019
  • I have never tried execution in Bannerlord by now. May someone tell me if this entry have anything left unimplemented?
  • Executions are in the game, but currently the chance for AI to execute the player is near 0.

• At least I have never seen garrison join this kind of fight.
  • AFAIK you need to be the encounter leader for the siege (depends on "sergeant score" which looks at your kingdom rank aka king/lord, who the owner of the settlement is, how many troops were brought, clan tier, etc.). If you are not, you cannot force the leader to sally out and you will fight alone.
  • AI behaviour described here is too good to be true in current version of Bannerlord.
  • In principle, this is how the AI works in sieges (3 lanes, trying to match the enemies distribution of forces, being able to automate or listen to player, etc.). Of course, sieges are not in the place both players and us would like them to be in and we continue working on rectifying that.

Hey, Duh!
Morning to you and thanks for the information. I do have a question though....

What about the Diplomacy system? Will there be things like in the WB Diplomacy mod like:

• Trade agreement
  • NOn agression
  • Alliance
  • Peace system ( treaties after war for X Years)
I appreciate any answer about this feature really and was in doubt since it taking too long to even see the skeleton of this feature.

Anyway, have a nice rest of the weekend and have a nice new week, hope all goes well

The post to end all posts, I think we’re done here. Pin the above and close the forums.

Kidding aside, thank you for the explanation! Its good to read why some features are altered or in any other way implemented.

To add to the second to last point, when defending sometimes the garrison will de decide to sally out to confront the enemy and you can either stay in the castle or sally out with them to confront the enemy. Its a beautiful system and I absolutely love the realism and autonomy.

Thanks for putting in the time on your sunday, Duh!

Quite simple really. Because people ask us to share information about the things that we are working on (which I'm sure you are aware of). We do so once we have a reasonabe degree of certainty that the feature / content will be completed without too many deviations from its original announcement.

• and the most important

• Implementation of the delopyment part depends on how you define "placed freely", or more specifically, "freely". Yes we can "freely" choose spots for deploying siege engine, but the spots are fixed. The second part is obviously, not implemented yet.

• Village management is not implemented. The idea of village-castle integration looks cool, and is a good simulation of fedual time, not sure if this is discarded, from video provided in this blog, this feature has been already implemented.(Discarded, see below the first entry of 2018 August-January 2019 part) Also in the same video, the building management system looks more free and controlable, though settlement attribute part has been extended.

• If village management is not implemented, apparently all following features can not be implemented.

• This sounds GREAT! But not implemented yet

• Not implemented.Eventhough this feature has simpler implementation in Warband.

• Obviously not implemented. As far as I can remember, this is also an implemented feature of Warband. Also, in current game of Bannerlord(1.5.6), we can see that player are allowed to appoint party roles for family troops other than the one led by player, but we can not have multiple companions in one sub-troops, appointment here can also be a good feature.
  • Siege Engine 29 Mar 2018

• This may not be able to be defined as a "feature". Just want to mention here, in current version of game this is nearly imposisble to happen.
  • It's in the game.

• True in Bannerlord player has to enter the city and talk to NPC if we want to own a workshop. However, currently this has no effect on any other aspect of the game, the only effect is force player to enter the city. TBH, if this part continue to be like this, I'd like to say returing Workshop-purchasing-procedure to Warband fashion would be better.
  • It's in the game.

• I don't think in current version of Bannerlord AI lords would open their own workshop. And when the pre-requisite is not implemented, of course the following part cannot be true.
Horses 17 May 2018
Campaign Map 21 Jun 2018

• At least I'm not capable of doing what this diary describe.

• Currently the moral and deserter system does not look like working as expected. Also, deserter troops does not exist at all, and again, this is a feature Warband have.

• Ok now we can see that the castle-building feature is actually discarded, but I don't understand why. Guess mainly AI issue, as we can see, the current AI of Bannerlord is, unfortunately, terrible. In addition, even though village-castle transfer may be hard to handle for TW, why also discard the fief and village management system?The fief management system we have now is rigid,boring and lack depth. Hopefully both features will come back in the future, or at least the management system.
Quests 20 Sep 2018

• I can't tell if this true in current Bannerlord or not. Somtimes looks true, other times not.

• Don't think these 2 points are true in current Bannerlord.
Map Design 8 Nov 2018

• Sounds like family/education system, a feature we need but not here currently.
  • It's in the game.

• Not sure if this is my fault, but I have never seen this happen.
  • Defection
  • Marriage

• What we have know is called "previously" here.
  • This was dropped in favor of the worldmap-integrated system you see in the game now (and was shown pre-release at the GamesCom 2018 ).
    • The tactics were a menu option (much like the first iteration of siege machine building). So we don't have "what is called previously here" and I would argue that the current system is an upgrade over both prior iterations.

• Sounds like how companion system work in Warband, we don't have this in Bannerlord by now.
  • This is in the game.

• In current version of Bannerlord, does castle produce anything? Like, anything???

• This is discussed about in the most recent patches, not implemented currently, but likely to be implement in the future.

• I don't this is true currently. What we have now is like here comes a quest, if you do not solve it, you will have penalty on prospersity/security/loyalty growth. And you can hardly tell whether the quest comes because of something is happening on the campaign map or not. A successful implementation of this is supposed to be like here comes a quest due to something happened on the campaign map, if you dont solve it, there won't be pre-defined numerical penalty on settlement attribute, but the consequence of unfinished quest will cause the settlement attribute to shrink. For example, when you did not complete a caravan escort quest when there are lots of bandits around your settlement and the merchants has already lost many caravans, the settlement won't have numeric penalty pre-defined by developer on attributes, but the lack of goods will cause the prospersity to lower. Hopefully my description is clear enough.
    • It's in the game.

• I don't think we have this currently. First, we can not do anythign about village production. Second, village normally only produce one kind of goods(besides foods), which is listed on the description of village.
Executions 7 Jun 2019

• At least I have never seen garrison join this kind of fight.

Great effort and nice job ?
This just emphasizes the gap between what was and is communicated (or not at all for some points) and how it was/is interpreted...
A human thing...

• This is in the game.
it was showed that we could replace the gang in the city with ours. However, we cannot do that currently. Does this feature dropped or working on it?

To my knowledge, few to none of the features listed in the OP had a blog dedicated to them. Some were certainly mentioned though.
Yes, about half of those features (feasts, kingdom court, bandit/assassin ambushes, manhunters, duels) were not in devblogs or pre-release demos. The expectation for Warband features returning comes from somewhere different.

"Bannerlord is the sequel to the acclaimed medieval combat simulator and role-playing game Mount & Blade: Warband." Sequels typically carry over the features people liked, and introduce new features on top of that. People pay for sequels because they want an all-around improvement, rather than two steps forward and one step backward. So by making it a sequel (rather than, say, a reboot), TW created the expectation that Bannerlord was going to replicate what people liked about Warband, and then expand on that.

To me, personally, my lowest expectation for Bannerlord was "Warband's gameplay experience with better graphics and sieges." And I think a lot of people bought the game under the same reasonable assumption. It was totally out of left field when a bunch of fairly major features were gone and are still not even confirmed to be in TW's plans.
Owning alleys were discussed in a broader blog on crime & punishment.
It also says on the Steam store page the player can "run a criminal empire", and owning alleys to install your people there or run a criminal enterprise was also shown in the demo, and discussed in two other devblogs in addition to the crime & punishment blog.
"Civil wars" were mentioned in passing in a blog about persuasion - and arguably exist with the main storyline of the game. Others I don't recall being in a blog, but, of course, I may have forgotten.
Deserters being in the game was in this blog. Tavern drunks being "nuisances" to the player, which seemed to refer to the Belligerent Drunk, were in this one. The quotes in question about civil wars are: "if you have taken a liking to the kingdom you are currently in, you can subvert it and seize power for yourself!"; also "a plot to betray a king", and "A conniving lord might turn down the choicest bribe because frankly, he doesn’t think you have what it takes to win a civil war."
Not that any of that makes them any less valid suggestions. Indeed, I would think that the better argument for their inclusion is the merit that they bring to the game.
"Suggestions" may not be the right word here. More like "Where did these go?". It's not something we're coming up with off the top of our heads, it's features that were a part of Mount & Blade/Warband gameplay, did have benefits to immersion/fun/quality of life that merited their return, and are missing without explanation.

PS: Thank you for the post clearing up the devblogs.

Last edited:
It also says on the Steam store page the player can "run a criminal empire", and owning alleys to install your people there or run a criminal enterprise was also shown in the demo, and discussed in two other devblogs in addition to the crime & punishment blog.
Turns out ıt wasn't actually in the crime and punishment one from what I can tell :iamamoron: but it still comes closest to Rungsted's claim of having a dedicated dev blog.

I think this will demonstrate quite well that these were by no means front and center promotions of core features. Rather they are things noted in passing to add flavor to the actual topic of the blog - often interpreted in ways that go a fair bit beyond what was stated.

Deserters - These deserting troops go on to form a new deserted party on the campaign map which the party leader can no longer control.

"Deserted parties" - as in parties made up of troops that deserted the fight - are created in the game under some conditions. They are not a deserter faction, though. Could this have been described in a more clear way? Sure. But then Ozan isn't a native language speaker, he certainly always tried his best to explain his thoughts and I doubt anyone here would seriously think him to intentionally mislead people.

Drunks - Tavern - This is where adventurers and drunks alike gather to share stories over a mug of mead. Some revellers are just a nuisance, others are sellswords that will fight for the right amount of money, and a rare few are companions that will follow you in your ambitions and help you to achieve your goals.

Is this the quote? Even in isolation it is pretty clear that it doesn't discuss tavern fights as a feature.

Not to mention that this is a map (scene) design blog that discusses the guidelines pursued in scene creation.
As we design the layout of each town, we tend to divide them into recognisable districts, so that players can develop an instinct for where they can find what they are looking for. This isn’t so much a rule that is set in stone, as we want to stay fluid in our approach to level design, but all of our work on these scenes share similar design principles.

Civil Wars - if you have taken a liking to the kingdom you are currently in, you can subvert it and seize power for yourself!

Nothing here mentions civil wars. You can build relations, gather influence and even kill the king in battle "by accident" to seize power through a kingdom decision.

Civil Wars - a plot to betray a king

No medieval drama, from Shakespeare to the Game of Thrones, is complete without a few scenes of high-stakes negotiation. Although most of our development effort goes into battles and combat, we also want to offer players alternative gameplay. Be it a plot to betray a king, a dynastic marriage, or just a way to handle a thorny conflict between your bickering subjects, skilled persuaders can find solutions to solve problems and save a bit of wear-and-tear on their sword-edges.
This blog about persuasion specifically denotes a gameplay alternative to battle and combat just before your quote. To me it thus makes more sense for that quote to be referencing defection by AI and player both. The better one is

A conniving one might turn down the choicest bribe because frankly, he doesn’t think you have what it takes to win a civil war, and silver is no use to him if he’s dead. Persuasion is a means to help players overcome these reservations.

As I noted in the original post - the conflict between the imperial factions is an explicit civil war setting that exists in the game and which plays out during the main storyline, in particular. To add unto that, players do have the ability to leave a kingdom with all of their settlements (triggering a war declaration by the former sovereign against the seceding territories), create their own kingdom of the same culture, to then fight or persuade their former peers. (And I'm sure you can imagine the headline in the calradian chronicle for such a series of events.)

What you want to see specifically - judging from other posts - are claimant quests. That's okay, but they were not mentioned in the blogs.

"Suggestions" may not be the right word here. More like "Where did these go?". It's not something we're coming up with off the top of our heads, it's features that were a part of Mount & Blade/Warband gameplay, did have benefits to immersion/fun/quality of life that merited their return, and are missing without explanation.
You can call them whatever you like - I would still be taking them to a suggestion meeting for discussion :razz:

Just the usual disclaimer - I am not saying we can't or shouldn't have these features. The discussion is specifically about the claim that there are some 30 or so features (including the ones listed in the OP) that had dedicated dev blogs and weren't included in the game. Aka the implied accusation of a concerted effort to mislead users.

Just the usual disclaimer - I am not saying we can't or shouldn't have these features. The discussion is specifically about the claim that there are some 30 or so features (including the ones listed in the OP) that had dedicated dev blogs and weren't included in the game. Aka the implied accusation of a concerted effort to mislead users.
I appreciate your effort to explain all of this, but this raises a new issue. The dev blogs and promotional materials were written in such a misguiding manner that they led a large part of the community to believe that features which were (supposedly) not planned were in fact going to be implemented.
And this is not a matter of one or two things that just so happened to mislead people. This is a case of a large amount of features being at the very least implied that, if you are to be believed, were not in fact considered for introduction.
While this is not as bad as promising something and then deciding to not deliver, this is still plenty bad, and the accusation of a "concerted effort to mislead users" still stands very strong.

I understand that the person writing the blog might not have been a native english speaker. But that's what proofreaders are for. TW often foregoes communication to avoid "building false expectations", but there's been a whole ton of false expectations built by the dev diaries and other promotional materials over the years. This seems like a pretty big inconsistency in position to me. Or is this a cause and effect kind of situation? TW built so many false expectations in the past that it is now much more tight lipped to avoid doing it again? In such a case, I'm afraid that ship might have sailed a long time ago...

I appreciate your effort to explain all of this, but this raises a new issue. The dev blogs and promotional materials were written in such a misguiding manner that they led a large part of the community to believe that features which were (supposedly) not planned were in fact going to be implemented.
And this is not a matter of one or two things that just so happened to mislead people. This is a case of a large amount of features being at the very least implied that, if you are to be believed, were not in fact considered for introduction.
While this is not as bad as promising something and then deciding to not deliver, this is still plenty bad, and the accusation of a "concerted effort to mislead users" still stands very strong.
The only way I can see to remove any chance of misinterpretation is to only communicate via released content - aka patch notes and patch review blogs and videos. It is very heavily implied, often explicitly denoted and pretty much "standard" that development is a dynamic process and that material shared is work in progress and subject to change.

A significant portion of our community has consistently expressed the desire to receive insight as early as possible and I don't believe they would be happy if all we talked about were the released bits.

Edith:
Case in Point - Despite my best efforts to be as clear as I can, one of your take aways is this
if you are to be believed, were not in fact considered for introduction.
Yet I don't discuss that. So to be clear, most if not all things suggested here were and are considered. Many have been or are being explored to see how viable they are. But none of that guarantees that they will ultimately make it into the final game. What I discussed here is simply whether or not these topics received a dedicated dev blog (for most of them, no), what happened to them (see the long list) and what was actually said in contrast to what is being claimed.

Last edited:
The only way I can see to remove any chance of misinterpretation is to only communicate via released content - aka patch notes and patch review blogs and videos. It is very heavily implied, often explicitly denoted and pretty much "standard" that development is a dynamic process and that material shared is work in progress and subject to change.
I see another way. Clarification.
As an example you can take Paradox Interactive. What they do with their dev diaries is that they release them and then people on the forum ask questions, to which the devs often respond for a bit. This way you can have your official promotional info, and then also clarify possible misunderstandings that might arise. But that would require more effort and engagement from community managers. Which is coincidentally something that the community has been clamoring for for quite a while... *wink wink, nudge nudge*

As an example you can take Paradox Interactive. What they do with their dev diaries is that they release them and then people on the forum ask questions, to which the devs often respond for a bit. This way you can have your official promotional info, and then also clarify possible misunderstandings that might arise. But that would require more effort and engagement from community managers. Which is coincidentally something that the community has been clamoring for for quite a while... *wink wink, nudge nudge*
I think this conflates two different topics. Most of the criticism in this thread originates from the old blogs. The current updates, to my knowledge, have not caused these types of misunderstandings - likely because the process is not so different from what you describe. Well, aside from "how ready" the feature / content discussed is - which I think is something we can give more continuous insights on. (Still, we do already often respond to inquiries about the state of a feature discussed in such an update.)

Turns out ıt wasn't actually in the crime and punishment one from what I can tell :iamamoron: but it still comes closest to Rungsted's claim of having a dedicated dev blog.
So is this something we will get since it's still advertised on the steam store page? Or is it just another blatant lie?

I appreciate you communicating with us, even though it's not your job (where are the real community managers?), but it seems like you glossed over this point because there isn't actually a solid defense for why this feature was dropped, at least none that seems to have been communicated.

So is this something we will get since it's still advertised on the steam store page? Or is it just another blatant lie?
This is not how you will facilitate communication with a developer. It very much entices me to simply ignore and move on. It very much discourages others from participating at all. Same goes for the signature that seeks to present developers that are communicating with you in a bad light.

I appreciate you communicating with us, even though it's not your job (where are the real community managers?), but it seems like you glossed over this point because there isn't actually a solid defense for why this feature was dropped, at least none that seems to have been communicated.
I didn't gloss over it. It wasn't explored further because it wasn't part of what I was discussing (30+ features that have dedicated dev blogs and weren't added to the game). None of the blogs in the list actually covered the topic (well, as far as the commentary I respond to goes anyways).

In any case, the response
So to be clear, most if not all things suggested here were and are considered. Many have been or are being explored to see how viable they are.

This is not how you will facilitate communication with a developer. It very much entices me to simply ignore and move on. It very much discourages others from participating at all. Same goes for the signature that seeks to present developers that are communicating with you in a bad light.
You are right about that, and I appreciate it when dev's take their time to talk to us.

I am just butthurt because of this

“By working alongside our community we were able to deliver a unique gaming experience that players still enjoy to this day. These past experiences have taught us that it is vital to bring players in to help us iron out any issues and refine the game by utilizing feedback to bring it to the level that both our community and we expect.

Community managers are very rarely seen (outside of bug forum), mostly it is devs such as yourself, and you shouldn't have to take the brunt.

I should act better, as should a lot of the community, but it's not only out fault when we get salty and upset due to broken promises and lack of communication on TW's part.

But let's also be honest... TW as a company (not individual devs) ignore the community all the time, even when we are behaving perfectly.

"Bannerlord is the sequel to the acclaimed medieval combat simulator and role-playing game Mount & Blade: Warband." Sequels typically carry over the features people liked, and introduce new features on top of that. People pay for sequels because they want an all-around improvement, rather than two steps forward and one step backward. So by making it a sequel (rather than, say, a reboot), TW created the expectation that Bannerlord was going to replicate what people liked about Warband, and then expand on that.
I kinda disagree with you here.
A sequel is a carry over of the base concept (story, context) and maybe some of the mechanics but certainly not a simple copy/paste +some new features product.
A lot of things in warband didn't work for me, like feasts (faction stop fighting to make a party?), scripted companions (low replayability), marshal status and the "civil war" feature (claimant) which I just never took care about.
And BL comes with some good alternatives:
Scripted companions = Randomly generated companions coming with different traits (and reactions).
+++> Concept largely improved with the "distinguished service" mod (should be in the base game)
Marshal status = form armies as a vassal (managed trough influence system), if you want more control, become a king.
Civil war = Story mode.
But we still lack alternatives for what "feast" feature meant to the game:
Easily meet other lords (relation, bride) ==> Could be solved with expanding current messenger feature (prioner bribe and peace proposal).
Have some downtime in the continuous warfare ==> Could be solved with a real war exhaustion, though it seems difficult to balance because of the fast pace of the game.
So to be clear, most if not all things suggested here were and are considered. Many have been or are being explored to see how viable they are.
While I understand all your points related to how features were communicated during old devblog and how it was interpreted... I'm not sure how this works with the criminal empire feature described on the official steam page:
"establish secret criminal empires in the back alleys of cities, or charge into the thick of chaotic battles in your quest for power."
Current criminal system allows us to build relation with gang leaders but nothing allows us to go further (own common areas, dominate gang leaders, earn money from smuggling etc...).
Could you please explain what the steam page means by "Establish secret criminal empire"?

Last edited:
“By working alongside our community we were able to deliver a unique gaming experience that players still enjoy to this day. These past experiences have taught us that it is vital to bring players in to help us iron out any issues and refine the game by utilizing feedback to bring it to the level that both our community and we expect.
To be honest, I think there are 2 sides to this coin. On the one hand, yes, we could have and can still do better on this front. On the other hand, we are not that explicit / transparent about all of the efforts that do go into gathering and utilizing the feedback (in part to avoid false expectations / hype). I try to provide some insight on the latter here

I feel that part of the frustration comes from a lack of understanding / certainty about community feedback. So I will try to shine some light on the processes. To begin with, we gain and process information from players in a variety of ways. The most straight forward ones are probably our dump-uploader and technical support section. Anything that comes in through these avenues has a very high probability to be investigated. Naturally, it isn't just blind activity either - we try to prioritize problems along the lines of prominence, so that anything that impacts many players is resolved as soon as possible. I think this is particularly evident during the first few months of the Early Access where many patches focused on stabilizing the game. I know there are posts that don't much care for bug fixes or performance improvements, but to me, it was and is the right call to make sure that as many people as possible are able to play the game that they purchased.

The next most apparent avenue is the beta branch, which allows for a closer collaboration between developers and the community - and has verifiably led to good feature adjustments (the most recent example that comes to mind for me is the pillaging feature). Patches in general are, of course, always an opportunity for constructive discussion and so are the releases of our priority statements (where I believe a fair few questions are answered when players post them). Less overt, but also important, are things like the closed (and open) tests that are conducted with members of the multiplayer community as well as our direct lines of discussion with community volunteers or, for instance, the closed testing and workshops we did with some of our modders ahead of the release of the modding tools.

Beyond that, both individual developers (of whom not everyone may feel comfortable posting) as well as the community staff read through and take notes from our various community platforms and other outlets. This is processed both in unstructured, individual discussions as well as regular, dedicated meetings where we go over suggestions. Similarly, what we observe in the community discussions informs our internal prioritization as well. Which brings us to

And that's not just an empty claim either. Just last week Dejan and Callum organized a small survey about the scene editor. Suggestion meetings still take place for singleplayer, multiplayer and modding. There are continuous, albeit closed combat tests with a range of MP community testers afaik. Developers engage with users on the forums and on discord.

I should act better, as should a lot of the community, but it's not only out fault when we get salty and upset due to broken promises and lack of communication on TW's part.

But let's also be honest... TW as a company (not individual devs) ignore the community all the time, even when we are behaving perfectly.
Certainly, frustrations can build up and sometimes you just need to vent. Still, keep in mind that - at the end of the day - you are not interacting with a company. Not really anyways. A company is not an entity that feels or thinks or etc. (surpreme court decisions be damned). The people that really see and interact with what you write here are developers.

Back
Top Bottom