Where's this "hope" stuff coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

bonerstorm

Genghis Khan't
Sergeant
I'm doing my regularly-scheduled "Is the game still dog balls terrible?" check-up and, after an extremely brief perusal of the trending posts, I'm surprised to see enthusiasm here for the first time in well over a year.

What motivated it? What's so great about 1.7.0 that seems to be giving the general impression that this game isn't going to be a perennial dumpster fire forever?

Is it actually a serious improvement, or is it just noobs flooding the forums with their unwarranted hopium? If the game's somewhat stable now, are mods coming back into play?

HAVE THEY FIXED SIEGES YET??? DO SPEARS OR FORMATIONS WORK?

Give me the straight dope, guys. I'm specifically curious what @MadVader, @vonbalt and @MostBlunted have to say. @Ananda_The_Destroyer and @Apocal too.

Last edited:
What motivated it? What's so great about 1.7.0 that seems to be giving the general impression that this game isn't going to be a perennial dumpster fire forever?
Maybe read what the update brought?
HAVE THEY FIXED SIEGES YET???
Yes.

1.7.0, while with some bugs which are expected, brought the Order of Battle and Battle Terrain system to the game. That, compounded with the fact that sieges have been actually fixed, has brought hope back. It isn't "noobs", it was just a pretty good update that added good stuff to the game.

I was thinking about saying that I'd believe it if anyone I recognized but you said it :iamamoron:

I say that with sincere affection. Not trying to be a jerk, but you have been extremely overly optimistic since you showed up. If there are long-timers who were demoralized who like the game with the new changes, I'd like to see that.

I was thinking about saying that I'd believe it if anyone I recognized but you said it :iamamoron:

I say that with sincere affection. Not trying to be a jerk, but you have been extremely overly optimistic since you showed up. If there are long-timers who were demoralized who like the game with the new changes, I'd like to see that.
I can only speak for myself, of course!
I've been extremely critical of Taleworlds since... six months after release, give or take a month. I still am very skeptical and a lot of my criticism still applies, but the OOB system coupled with the slowdown while giving orders, better performance and playable sieges was really vital in keeping my interest alive. Before this I was like: "Ok, it's dead Jim. Time to play Valheim and wait for Manor Lords." Now I'm more like: "Ok, this is a rather long step in the right direction. If they could do this, they can do much more and I hope they'll do it. Let's play some more Sturgia!"
The new maps are also really great. I've also noticed and appreciated the smaller things: new ambience sounds. Better (by far) lighting in most interiors, mostly castles and cities have now good looking shadows and light sources. Sound design is better in general, don't know why and what part of the patch did that. Balance is also better. Perks are better. There are bugs and a lot of issues, but I didn't have a single hard crash or anything game breaking until I opted in the Beta.
Just my two cents as someone who wasn't entirely torch and pitchfork but was mostly disillusioned and sarcastic/sardonic with a good amount of doomerism thrown in for good measure.

I'm doing my regularly-scheduled "Is the game still dog balls terrible?" check-up and, after an extremely brief perusal of the trending posts, I'm surprised to see enthusiasm here for the first time in well over a year.

Is it actually a serious improvement, or is it just noobs flooding the forums with their unwarranted hopium? If the game's somewhat stable now, are mods coming back into play?
It's a big chunk of features, therefore a round version number. Three long-awaited things stand out: battle maps (50% done), order of battle (still need some QoL work) and siege climbing (they took their sweet time since the EA).
For Taleworlds, this is as big as it gets, so the fan enthusiasm is understandable.
This is Bannerlord as it will be released, as what remains from their roadmap are banner bearers and various fixes across many features and this should keep Taleworlds busy for a few more months. If you don't like 1.7.0 you'll never like vanilla Bannerlord.
If you are thinking whether to play, I'd wait for the first wave of hotfixes to be consolidated into 1.7.1.

What's so great about 1.7.0
It came out finally, or rather the terrain system (some of it) and the Order of battle/pre-deployment (awaiting some fixes though). It took a long time and
it's very reliving for both these to come out. There's a variety of other steps in the right direction too such as less smithing money and not being handed 10 warhorses by aserai villages but also gear doesn't cost as much.

Is it actually a serious improvement
I like the pre-battle deployment, it's useful to me. I like +30% preggers perks and a variety of other fixes too. I'm not gonna lie, I've never been super excited for the actual terrain system and I'm mostly glad it's getting done so I can see what comes next or on to other fixes.

HAVE THEY FIXED SIEGES YET??? DO SPEARS OR FORMATIONS WORK?
Haven't got into a siege yet but you know I don't do the ram guys up ladders style of siege anyways. Reports seem varied, some say they work, some say problems with ladders still, or crash. Spear formations work if their job is to get slaughtered by ranged units. That totally works.

If all this hope carries on I'll have no haters to mess with.

Hopefully TW screw something up soon so I can get a few complainers back to tease.

For Taleworlds, this is as big as it gets, so the fan enthusiasm is understandable.
This is Bannerlord as it will be released, as what remains from their roadmap are banner bearers and various fixes across many features and this should keep Taleworlds busy for a few more months. If you don't like 1.7.0 you'll never like vanilla Bannerlord.
I mean, this is as big as it will get by the time the game is released. Obviously there is a lot of somewhat baseless speculation that can be done in order to guess what might come after, but TW would be incredibly foolish to not release any sort of DLC following the actual release. And TW isn't that foolish. Who is to say that this will be as big as it gets.

Of course, there are a lot of features left to be desired, like the criminally absent criminal enterprise, however BL is getting a lot closer to what was advertised.

I´ve played about 10 hours (no crash, only one visual glitch which I fixed by simply reloading) since friday without any mods and I´m able to enjoy the game again. The battle of order is a huge improvment in my opinion and makes battles much more fun. The battle terrain system is also finally here but of course not with all maps completed, but there are still a lot of new maps.

Can´t say much about fixed sieges yet, haven´t played any. But I´m positive that they´re at least improved from what I´ve read. There is also a lot of other stuff like the fixed charm perks.

This update feels like a real update since a long time. So let´s hope they keep up the pace, I don´t expect the next update as huge as 1.7.0 but it seems they´re on the right track again.

There are still some issues of course but overall this was a huge and necassary update and it regained my hope.

here is artems clip ive also had the exact same results in all sieges

To be fair, since they reworked how agents approach siege ladders, a whole new barrel of problems came with it. Take a look at 0:14, on the left ladder at the very top, some guy is still just spazzing out (didn't see it until someone mentioned it in the comments). I also noticed that agents tend to run around for a few seconds at the bottom of the siege tower if all ladders are occupied resulting in a small "dance". I don't think this is the intended behaviour and I do hope that TW irons these minor things out too, but all in all sieges are pretty playable now. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom