Users who are viewing this thread

One aspect of settlement statistic that confuses me to the meaning the devs wanted to convey is "Loyalty".

Took me a while to understand that "Prosperity" was "population density" and not "profitability and production", but I still do not understand what "Loyalty" means to represent in the game.

Who are they loyal to, when the second you capture a town Loyalty is already at 100% when it was also 100% before you started the siege?
It can't possibly be something like order or behavior, as that falls to "Security", and definitely does not regard Militia or Garrison, because the second you take a town, you just killed everyone.

So who is loyal to who?

I believe Loyalty should represent the population's loyalty and should be measured in 2 sets of percentages.

• One set of 100% to notables, which includes heroes, nobles and the player's character.
    So a town could be 30% Loyal to you, 50% Loyal to Derthert and 20% Loyal to a gang leader inside the town.
    Time and taking care of the town would raise their loyalty to you. Dealing with thugs inside the town would lower the town's Loyalty to that gang leader, which would give meaning to the Thug fighting event.
    This would also be very meaningful if Governors for Hire ends getting added to the game, as the town could be split in 70% loyal to the governor and 30% loyal to you, which would open the possibility for the governor to start a coup if their relationship to you is too low.

• One set of 100% to a faction/kingdom.
    This would take into consideration the first set. So for example, in the same situation where I mentioned before, 30% you, 50% Derthert, 20% Gang leader.
    Lets say you just recently took the town and you have your own empire.
    That would mean that the town is 30% loyal to your empire, 50% loyal to Vlandia and 20% to rogues.
If Rogue loyalty gets too high, you could lose that settlement in a revolt, which could severely damage your influence and relationship to nobles in your empire. That settlement would be "unclaimed" by any faction and their militia and garrison would consist of thugs and bandits.

If you can't raise your loyalty and the population is too loyal to Vlandia for too long, the population could possibly start a rebellion, if security is not high enough, and you could lose that town to Vlandia from the inside.

It would make Loyalty make more sense, there could be a use of spies and your roguery skills to disseminate propaganda in favor of you, a notable, a noble or anyone of your empire and/or sabotage the security in order to cause a rebellion and take that town without a fight. This would open new ways to take over a settlement without even engaging in a battle or a siege, which would give meaning to "Disguise and sneak through the gate".

It would make loyalty become a LOT more important to take care of.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

deGoucan Scrolls Index

Last edited:
I don't spend too much time managing things life this in the game currently so I guess I can't speak too much about how in deep these systems feel. However, something like this would definitely get me wanting to spend more time managing this. It's would be an interesting addition and a good way to bring more potential conflict to the game.

One aspect of settlement statistic that confuses me to the meaning the devs wanted to convey is "Loyalty".

Took me a while to understand that "Prosperity" was "population density" and not "profitability and production", but I still do not understand what "Loyalty" means to represent in the game.

Who are they loyal to, when the second you capture a town Loyalty is already at 100% when it was also 100% before you started the siege?
It can't possibly be something like order or behavior, as that falls to "Security", and definitely does not regard Militia or Garrison, because the second you take a town, you just killed everyone.

So who is loyal to who?

I believe Loyalty should represent the population's loyalty and should be measured in 2 sets of percentages.

• One set of 100% to notables, which includes heroes, nobles and the player's character.
    So a town could be 30% Loyal to you, 50% Loyal to Derthert and 20% Loyal to a gang leader inside the town.
    Time and taking care of the town would raise their loyalty to you. Dealing with thugs inside the town would lower the town's Loyalty to that gang leader, which would give meaning to the Thug fighting event.
    This would also be very meaningful if Governors for Hire ends getting added to the game, as the town could be split in 70% loyal to the governor and 30% loyal to you, which would open the possibility for the governor to start a coup if their relationship to you is too low.

• One set of 100% to a faction/kingdom.
    This would take into consideration the first set. So for example, in the same situation where I mentioned before, 30% you, 50% Derthert, 20% Gang leader.
    Lets say you just recently took the town and you have your own empire.
    That would mean that the town is 30% loyal to your empire, 50% loyal to Vlandia and 20% to rogues.
If Rogue loyalty gets too high, you could lose that settlement in a revolt, which could severely damage your influence and relationship to nobles in your empire. That settlement would be "unclaimed" by any faction and their militia and garrison would consist of thugs and bandits.

If you can't raise your loyalty and the population is too loyal to Vlandia for too long, the population could possibly start a rebellion, if security is not high enough, and you could lose that town to Vlandia from the inside.

It would make Loyalty make more sense, there could be a use of spies and your roguery skills to disseminate propaganda in favor of you, a notable, a noble or anyone of your empire and/or sabotage the security in order to cause a rebellion and take that town without a fight. This would open new ways to take over a settlement without even engaging in a battle or a siege, which would give meaning to "Disguise and sneak through the gate".

It would make loyalty become a LOT more important to take care of.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

deGoucan Scrolls Index

The fact that loyalty is a currency in the game, concurrent with the fact that it currently does apparently nothing, seems to me to suggest that the devs have plans to implement a new mechanic or set of mechanics that interact with loyalty #s. But yes, I'd be in favor of an espionage system that interacted with loyalty, a more flushed out rebellion / secession system that uses loyalty, more actions that add or subtract loyalty in general, etc.

Back
Top Bottom