where do the Vlandians come from?

Users who are viewing this thread

tzadik

Recruit
In the lore it's stated that the Vlandians 'came from overseas' but where exactly? As far as we can tell from the map there is nothing for quite a while in the western sea, which raises the question of if the Vlandians did come from somewhere very far away across the western ocean(e.g Balion etc), then why do they have a very European seeming culture/appearance?(this kind of convergent evolution seems very unlikely). Alternatively, they could have come from Nordland/Jumne much like the real life Normans, but beyond that I can't think of any other possibilities. I know I'm probably overthinking this but I was just wondering whether It was something the devs had put any thought into or any one else had any ideas about.

calradia is already impossibly small (judging by party travel speed) while being impossibly geologically and culturally diverse. the map overall doesn't make sense but it makes enough sense that you can suspend your disbelief. There was a bunch of overseas invasions that changed european history. probably inspired by the saxon invasion, or the later norman invasion even though it's not strictly in the early middle ages.

I have made a whole story in my head about Vlandia. Like how they came from the Nordland , served the Empire as mercenaries in a campaign in the East against the nomads where they picked up monted warfare combining it with their martial tradition, then were setled in the western part of the Empire. But this is just my story.

I never play with them, they looks like a XII century faction, a medieval one, in a VIII century game.

I never play with them, they looks like a XII century faction, a medieval one, in a VIII century game.

All the factions look like they're from the 12th century (or later), or from fantasy.

aMwmFIr.jpg

3E0d5tggrBgBbzorIGYyQRjMqDCQZHSFsGS6ccFgFAE.png

dpofjzfhnuq41.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Mount-and-Blade-II-Bannerlord-Loot-Lord-Mod.jpeg

99391468.jpg

b8i5f2t9fve51.png

The Aserai and Khuzaits are the worst in this regard, which is why it's so funny that the official PR statements say they are supposed to be pre-Islamic Arabs or Cumans / Huns when they look like Timurids from 1500.

they got cavalry in their common troop tree, unlike the empire. Infantry and crossbowmen are also really strong.
Dude really? All other factions have cavalry in their regular troop tree, yet cataphracts f**k the sh*t out of them all. Vlandian infantry is the second worst after the Kuzait inf. They are definitely no match against empire infantry. Also crossbowmen totally suck against decent line of archers. I had to redesign almost every unit in the Vlandian troop tree including knights for my Vlandia playtrough.

Dude really? All other factions have cavalry in their regular troop tree, yet cataphracts f**k the sh*t out of them all. Vlandian infantry is the second worst after the Kuzait inf. They are definitely no match against empire infantry. Also crossbowmen totally suck against decent line of archers. I had to redesign almost every unit in the Vlandian troop tree including knights for my Vlandia playtrough.
Noble troops are not abundant enough to be reliable in my experience.... but even if we look at noble troops, the vlandian banner knight is awesome. Also, vlandian sergeants are comparable to the imperial legionary, both in armor and stats. What are you talking about infantry being weak?

I would guess they came from a fictional England across the seas, maybe Balion (reminds me of Albion, it's only a few letters mixed) which could have been invaded/colonized by Nords from Jumne in the past kinda like the Viking age in the British isles? It doesn't make much sense for them to have come directly from Jumne since their culture is more "westernized" and we know the Nords are still there and there are mercenaries/adventures and nobles of Nord origin in Bannerlord's Calradia (mainly in the nobility of Sturgia and the Skolderbrotva mercenaries) and we also know the Nords will invade Calradia with a great army some time between Bannerlord and Warband to carve a kingdom from Sturgian/Vlandian/Battanian land.

Noble troops are not abundant enough to be reliable in my experience.... but even if we look at noble troops, the vlandian banner knight is awesome. Also, vlandian sergeants are comparable to the imperial legionary, both in armor and stats. What are you talking about infantry being weak?
My banner knights are awesome for sure. But vanilla banner knigths? Naaaah. They are good units yeah. But if you are going against a large aserai army with stupid amount of horse archers and cavalry then they don't offer much advantage. I suggest you to check out the armor stats of sergeants and legionaries once more. You'll see the difference.Btw only one third of the sergeants have long swords, others have much shorter melee weapons like axe and mace. This makes them weaker.

I would guess they came from a fictional England across the seas, maybe Balion (reminds me of Albion, it's only a few letters mixed) which could have been invaded/colonized by Nords from Jumne in the past kinda like the Viking age in the British isles? It doesn't make much sense for them to have come directly from Jumne since their culture is more "westernized" and we know the Nords are still there and there are mercenaries/adventures and nobles of Nord origin in Bannerlord's Calradia (mainly in the nobility of Sturgia and the Skolderbrotva mercenaries) and we also know the Nords will invade Calradia with a great army some time between Bannerlord and Warband to carve a kingdom from Sturgian/Vlandian/Battanian land.
like I said in my main post this Is what I think as well (that they came from Balion), but If it's so far away across the western ocean I don't understand why the culture/people seem so similar to Calradia.

like I said in my main post this Is what I think as well (that they came from Balion), but If it's so far away across the western ocean I don't understand why the culture/people seem so similar to Calradia.
Well the only people in Calradia whom have westernized medieval culture is the Vlandians so they are the outsiders really.

The Calradoi came from tribes in the "Rhodok" highlands and the initial heartlands of the empire are now firmly in Vlandian hands (Pravend was the old imperial capital Baravenos captured by the Vlandians when they decided to carve a kingdom for themselves instead of continuing to serve a weakened empire as mercenaries) and they look more Eastern Roman/Greek so just like with Rome they must have originated in the west of the continent but the eastern side became much more profitable with time and shaped their culture accordingly.

The Battanians seem to be descendants of the original inhabitants of central Calradia, when the empire started to expand they slowly pushed the Battanians and other tribes like the Palaic away or forcefully integrated their peoples in the republic later turned empire so they are the equivalent of Celtic tribes.

The Khuzait and their nomad tribes came conquering from the east until they started to settle Calradia, clearly inspired by steppe tribes so not natives of Calradia.

The Aserai came from the southern deserts and moved northwards until they established themselves around that Mediterran-little i can't remember the name so they aren't natives from Calradia too.

The Sturgians are northern tribes mixed with Nord adventurers from Jumne so a mix of natives and foreigners as their ruling elite.

Back
Top Bottom