Where Do Released Captives Go?

Users who are viewing this thread

In my continuing & stubborn attempts to push my faction to actually accomplish some war objectives, I have accumulated well over 500 captives penned up in my castles. These are nearly all regular troops, as opposed to bandits. I have refused to ransom them so as not to release them back to the other side's manpower pool. But am I right about that? Maybe they evaporate from the game?

And when I'm on a deep run inside enemy territory, I frequently fill my available captive capacity and have to make decisions about who to keep in detention and who to release, after a battle. These excess captives, released locally and not ransomed - are THEY released to the enemy's manpower pool?

BTW - I often keep 1-2 of each captured troop type I find useful along with my party. Accepting prisoners into my band who want to fight, not be dragged around, gives me a big quality boost after battle depletion versus AI lords who go and clean out all habitations they can reach of available recruits. If I keep them long enough, even Levels 21 and 26 prisoners occasionally join me.

I don't have any evidence for that, but yes, they just evaporate. For one there is no "manpower pool" or any mechanic that I can think of that would suggest that released or ransomed prisoners go anywhere or are to any use for the enemy. If anything ransoming them might deprive enemy of funds, although that's purely my speculation. With the exception of lords of course.

I like to imagine they retire to a nice farmstead, and peacefully live out the rest of their lives.

BTW - I often keep 1-2 of each captured troop type I find useful along with my party. Accepting prisoners into my band who want to fight, not be dragged around, gives me a big quality boost after battle depletion versus AI lords who go and clean out all habitations they can reach of available recruits. If I keep them long enough, even Levels 21 and 26 prisoners occasionally join me.
Yeah, recruiting prisoners is currently very strong. It's much more valuable to hang on to high tier troops that you think you can use than it is to ransom them away. I think eventually there will be penalties associated with recruiting prisoners, but they just aren't implemented yet.

In my continuing & stubborn attempts to push my faction to actually accomplish some war objectives, I have accumulated well over 500 captives penned up in my castles. These are nearly all regular troops, as opposed to bandits. I have refused to ransom them so as not to release them back to the other side's manpower pool.

This is quite alarming. If prisoners were released back into the 'manpower pool', that would encourage players to create what are essentially concentration camps.

In my continuing & stubborn attempts to push my faction to actually accomplish some war objectives, I have accumulated well over 500 captives penned up in my castles. These are nearly all regular troops, as opposed to bandits. I have refused to ransom them so as not to release them back to the other side's manpower pool. But am I right about that? Maybe they evaporate from the game?

They go poof.

And when I'm on a deep run inside enemy territory, I frequently fill my available captive capacity and have to make decisions about who to keep in detention and who to release, after a battle. These excess captives, released locally and not ransomed - are THEY released to the enemy's manpower pool?

They go poof.

I've seriously cut loose over a hundred prisoners right in front of an enemy army (in order to escape) and it did absolutely nothing to their manpower. If there is code meant to add them to some sort of replacement pool, it is either not working or so opaque you will never notice the impact as a player.

This is quite alarming. If prisoners were released back into the 'manpower pool', that would encourage players to create what are essentially concentration camps.
Not more alarming than your wife dying in childbirth. I suspect those vanished soldiers along with the spore reproducted bandits and recrutis are causing general starvation in Calradia. Is it produced enough food to feed them all in the first place?

They go poof.

They go poof.

I've seriously cut loose over a hundred prisoners right in front of an enemy army (in order to escape) and it did absolutely nothing to their manpower. If there is code meant to add them to some sort of replacement pool, it is either not working or so opaque you will never notice the impact as a player.
While the armies near you have no visible change, the possibility exists released captives filter "home" and affect the availability of fresh recruits in towns and villages - clearly NOT in their tier of proficiency but making manpower available.

Unless a dev weighs in, we have no way of guessing the way the code handles anything.

Lords/captains return to the map once released.

Normal soldiers "disappear" when released.

Geez I hope they just disappear! I release tons of low tier prisoners in 1.4 (now that they are worth no influence)! ?

JK, as others have noted, I’m pretty sure they disappear. If not... I’ve been playing wrong for a long time now.

While the armies near you have no visible change, the possibility exists released captives filter "home" and affect the availability of fresh recruits in towns and villages - clearly NOT in their tier of proficiency but making manpower available.

Unless a dev weighs in, we have no way of guessing the way the code handles anything.

You know we can look at a lot of the game's code currently, right?

Back
Top Bottom