Where can I learn the commands for battle?

Users who are viewing this thread

I searched and couldn't find anything here or on google, is there a handy faq on how to order your men for battle, such as have your archers line up and fire when the enemy is in range or to order your infantry etc? I try it in the battles but I always mess everything up don't know what I'm doing or even pressing and end up just going back to "charge the enemy".

I have the expanded version of this mod, and any advice on how to deal with this is greatly appreciated.

You need 2 Tactics skill to access all of the pre-battle commands. I find pre-battle commands to be extremely useful, so it's a wise investment even if you aren't the one raising Tactics later.

In battle, 1 will give orders to infantry, 2 will give orders to archers, 3 for cavalry, and 0 for everyone (if you like to reform your lines when new enemies arrive, as I do, you might want to rebind "everyone" to something else, like 4). From there it's just a matter of pressing the appropriate F-key to give them the orders.

You can also change your units' assigned groups in the party menu, and then use 4-9 to control them (in order to keep my medic and scout from getting killed and losing their party skills, I usually have them retreat at the beginning of every battle).

Never Darktide said:
You need 2 Tactics skill to access all of the pre-battle commands. I find pre-battle commands to be extremely useful, so it's a wise investment even if you aren't the one raising Tactics later.

In battle, 1 will give orders to infantry, 2 will give orders to archers, 3 for cavalry, and 0 for everyone (if you like to reform your lines when new enemies arrive, as I do, you might want to rebind "everyone" to something else, like 4). From there it's just a matter of pressing the appropriate F-key to give them the orders.

You can also change your units' assigned groups in the party menu, and then use 4-9 to control them (in order to keep my medic and scout from getting killed and losing their party skills, I usually have them retreat at the beginning of every battle).

Pre Battle orders don't seem to work for me. They did at first, so I wonder if I just have too many people; I use battle size of 300, but my army is only around 200.

I generally have:
Infantry: Advance 50 Paces
Crossbows: Advance 40 Paces
Archers: Advance 30 Paces
Calvary: Follow Me

Yet they all stay where they spawn.

Thanks, why rebind the key?

And if I understand you correctly, you have your two companions flee? My guys get KTFO alot in battle, are they losing skills? Also from your PM to me, does my companions int translate to me? I didn't understand that, but my new guys int is only 6 as you said it wasn't important but I want to be able to get training high.

I'm thinking of following your advice about making a "trade" focused guy, but think I might need to buff up my combat skills a bit before dumping alot into that.

callahan9119 said:
Thanks, why rebind the key?

And if I understand you correctly, you have your two companions flee? My guys get KTFO alot in battle, are they losing skills? Also from your PM to me, does my companions int translate to me? I didn't understand that, but my new guys int is only 6 as you said it wasn't important but I want to be able to get training high.

I'm thinking of following your advice about making a "trade" focused guy, but think I might need to buff up my combat skills a bit before dumping alot into that.

I assume he mentioned rebinding the key so it is closer to hit. However given the keyboard I use it's not a problem.

My groups are usually:
1: Infantry
2: Archers
3: Crossbows
4: Calvary (Companions made to fight are part of this)
5: Support (Companions used for skills are part of this, I keep them back so their skills still work. My Medic/Engineer/Trader etc that aren't combat oriented)

If a companion gets knocked out/has less than 20% health (might be higher) their skills do not work.

As for the trade character, you can relegate that to a companion and not focus it on yourself as it is a party skill. Same with all party skills really.

However "Trainer" is valuable to have on everyone as the exp stacks and helps build higher tier units.

He said to me something about having companions focus on INT, so I don't have to worry about it. Does their int somehow augment your own as far as being able to boost int related skills?

Yeah, something I noticed in recent times is that if your surgeon gets KOed during battle, I'm pretty sure their bonus IMMEDIATELY stops working. Looking at my wounded/dead ratio in battles where my surgeon gets hurt, it's not exactly consistent with other battles where I have them flee. Or I might just be unlucky.

Rebinding the key is indeed so it's easier to hit. I play WASD + mouse and 0 is quite a stretch.

I prefer to take Trade myself because you can get it to 4 (+1) at character creation (and IMO, you really don't need much more than that) and also because it saves me having to raise the charisma of any of my companions. On top of that, none of them starts with trade above 3. I'd rather just have them either go pure combat or pure intelligence. They just take too long to level up.

I might recommend picking up the book that gives you a free trade point as well (when your intelligence allows). Because of the way party skills for the leader work, this would raise it to 5 (+2). I know I just said you don't really need much more, but it's 2 free points, which is damn nice. If/when charisma allows, and it probably will, you can raise it more, but you probably won't need to.

Trainer is indeed a problem. The best you can do is max it out for whatever your intelligence is and buy the book that gives +1 trainer while you have it in your inventory. If you like you can raise intelligence more. I just prefer to make a character who becomes a beast in combat. It'd be good on companions, again, if companions leveled faster or started at a higher level. I really should just make an optional add-on for that, but I'm lazy and school is starting soon. On the other hand, if anyone wants to direct me to some fast and easy modding tools, I'll gladly release it.

As an addendum to intelligence, what you might want to do is raise it to 11 and then read the book (Essays on Logic) that gives you a free intelligence point. Then you can get Trainer to 4, plus 1 with the book. That's pretty good.

As this is Floris, make sure you have your intelligence-based companions read the intelligence book ASAP as well. In fact, it might be nice for everybody who's got the intelligence to read it, because a free skill point is very nice. In the early game, when you don't suffer much for sitting around, you can just buy a bunch of extra food and camp somewhere safe, preferably near a city or area with high lord traffic so you don't get raided at camp. Or you could just spend a little bit of money to stay in a town.

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be so long but every time I think of one thing I think about 5 other things. I really like this game.

StrikeQ: I am not sure why your orders aren't working. IIRC, you need to press the "plan your battle with the enemy" button for every battle, click OK, and then "enough planning, to battle". If that isn't working, post in the support forum.

callahan9119: You really only need one character with each party skill, particularly if you tell them to stay out of battles. Most party skills are intelligence-based, so I prefer to let my companions handle all the intelligence skills so I can focus on combat earlier. I do get intelligence later though - like I said, 12 is nice eventually.

I didn't know about reading books, or much of anything really.

I don't mind the length, it actually gives me some information. This game is so "big" that I never know what I'm doing. I get to level 10 or something, get overwhelmed and start over thinking I now know what to do, only to repeat the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom